What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Civ to leave the Broncs

Cranky

Juniors
Whats Doing said:
With all due respects and whilst I understand your point of view, it will only open the game to rorts and hurt the game in the long run.

For example, say the NRL gives a 50% discount for players who have played 10 years for a club. Civo has been at the Broncs say for 8 years and wants a 4 year contract at $400,000 per season. Cullen says to , you will get your $1.6 million all up but I will structure your contract to the first 2 years at $200,000 and the last 2 years at $600,000.

As such the club is getting the benefit of concessions in the first years which is where the rorts start when only $200,000 is being allocated when in fact it should be $400,000. As such they could buy another representative player with the $200,000 difference.

THe NRL cannot give concessions as the loopholes and rorts start which as I said, will only hurt the game.
I don't really see that as a problem. The AFL get concessions for the veterens and often "back-end" their stars contracts to ensure they stay. It is certainly risky though. If your player does a knee and comes back a much lesser player then the club loses big time.

It would also stop the ridiculous merry-go-round the players are on now. If you have a chance at at 10+ year career, then you are much better off staying loyal to the one club so you can get rewarded at the end of your run. We wouldn't lose so many players to the UK and the fans wouldn't have to barrack for a player one year, then boo them the next (I think this hurts the game more than anything else).

Munky

Coach
I must have imagined the Bronco's signing another Australian international who plays prop.

Ice777

Bench
Iafeta said:
Jason Smith

There's a number of good players well into their 30's. Petero would be no different, he's a consummate professional. The injury that is withering Wiki (and lets not forget his first two years at the Warriors were first year brilliant, second year good) could hit a player at 21 just as easily as 34.

Nobody is arguing that there are a few good players into their 30's. But they weren't offered a new 3 year contract at 31 for 400k a year we're they? I'd say the majorith were more than likely on the back end of their existing contracts that took them into their 30's and i doubt very much any of their clubs will re-sign them for massive contracts like Petero is asking for, if they re-sign them at all.

Jason Smith had a great start to the season but from what i've seen he's form has gradually tapered off as it's gone on and this is his last year. He's been a magnificent player but his body has just about had enough at his age as happens with everyone no matter how good they've been. Besides, do you reckon he was on anything near 400k a year? Not a chance and any club willing to sign a player of 31 for 3 years on that much money instead of nurturing younger players or buying cheaper one's are out of their minds IMO.