What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Civ to leave the Broncs

Iafeta

Referee
Jason Smith

There's a number of good players well into their 30's. Petero would be no different, he's a consummate professional. The injury that is withering Wiki (and lets not forget his first two years at the Warriors were first year brilliant, second year good) could hit a player at 21 just as easily as 34.

Big Pete

Referee
Dissapointing and it makes you wonder what the club was thinking for getting Joel Clinton!

Wish him all the best.

Jono078

Referee
I still think Newcastle is a possibility for him.

But intrest has certainly grown on him the past few weeks, so im not as sure he'll end up here now.

JW

Coach
It's the big fella's last contract, with a very healthy final paycheck the driving factor. There is simply no better option than a couple of seasons in Super League.

legend

Coach
salivor said:
We have had to say goodbye to both Tate and and Berrigan though. Wallace didn't come for much but certainly I would've preferred the club to not sign Clinton and use the cash to keep Civ at the club. We haven't seen such an exodus of high calibre players really since 2000 when Carroll, Walker, Thorn and Campion all left and Walters hung up the boots which took us years to recover from.

You'd be surprised how much the Broncos paid for Wallace. I was a guest of the Panthers last week for their match against Souths and the loss of Wallace came up in converstaion with a Panthers staff member and the figure I was quoted was in excess of 280k per season.

The Broncos made their own bed as far as Civ goes. They can lie in it.

DeeGan

Bench
Yet in other circles Brisbane aren't paying $280,000 as thrown around in the papers.

I find it very hard fathom Brisbane paying $280,000 for Peter Wallace who is still relatively unproven despite a reasonably successful start to his career.

t-ba

Post Whore
Methinks the Broncos had to pay a little more for their contract upgrades now that they can't say to players "It's either us or you can get the f*ck out South East Queensland"?

Fast Eddie

First Grade
You never know....if Wiki retires the Warriors could pick him up and we would have a nice set of QLD props...:)

lockyno1

Post Whore
He'll go the the ESL which is a shame but all things have to come to a end I guess. End of a successful era.

Noa

First Grade
I see some on here cant see through there own bias or self-interest on this matter. Leaving aside Petro and the Broncos the NRL must give cap relief to anyone who stays at a club for 10 years. Having legends leave clubs due only to financial restraints hurts the game in the long-run.

Garts

Bench
If he wants to stay at the Broncos he should sign up 2 years for a little less and show loyalty like a Webke or Menzies. Im sure he can still go for a pension year in ESL after this.

Razor

Coach
If there was no salary cap the Broncos still probably wouldn't sign him. It's not the money, but the length of the contract they're on about. They only want to sign him for 2-years but Civo won't sign a contract for less than 3 years.

So don't blame the NRL, blame the Broncos. They could easily sign him up for 3 years.

They've already signed 2 other props for next year, so if they didn't sign them they'd have plenty of spare cash even if the salary cap came into play.

Inferno

Coach
Iafeta said:
Jason Smith

There's a number of good players well into their 30's. Petero would be no different, he's a consummate professional. The injury that is withering Wiki (and lets not forget his first two years at the Warriors were first year brilliant, second year good) could hit a player at 21 just as easily as 34.

What's wrong with Wiki?

Martli

Coach
He's had some Neck injury and has been ruled out of the sharks game this weekend with a rib injury. Anyone who's watched a lot of the warriors this season can see that he's just not performing like he was in 05 and 06, I think injury is starting to hold him back.

Mal Meninga

Bench
Scotty Logan has been killing it this season at age 31. Plenty of examples to suggest that Petero is not done. He killed the younger NSW pack along with grandpa Price so I don't believe at all he's finished.

Whats Doing

Bench
Noa Nandruku said:
I see some on here cant see through there own bias or self-interest on this matter. Leaving aside Petro and the Broncos the NRL must give cap relief to anyone who stays at a club for 10 years. Having legends leave clubs due only to financial restraints hurts the game in the long-run.

With all due respects and whilst I understand your point of view, it will only open the game to rorts and hurt the game in the long run.

For example, say the NRL gives a 50% discount for players who have played 10 years for a club. Civo has been at the Broncs say for 8 years and wants a 4 year contract at $400,000 per season. Cullen says to , you will get your $1.6 million all up but I will structure your contract to the first 2 years at $200,000 and the last 2 years at $600,000.

As such the club is getting the benefit of concessions in the first years which is where the rorts start when only $200,000 is being allocated when in fact it should be $400,000. As such they could buy another representative player with the $200,000 difference.

THe NRL cannot give concessions as the loopholes and rorts start which as I said, will only hurt the game.

Pigskin

Juniors
not sure how much the Roosters are paying O'Meley in the next few years ... but Civo is a much better buy regardless of their respective ages

I still don't understand the head in the sand mentality on this issue from the NRL

Oink !