What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bigger problem then stone and halfback options!!!!

Shenry4

Juniors
Look at hiring a more experienced/effective fitness coach/program??

I don't know how you guys can explain the second half fade outs as a coaching problem?

Like a hollywood half-time speech sends more oxygen to your muscles?

It's obvious the teams fitness is lower than that of what seems like every other team we face.

Seems like we can't afford it or its not a priority in the budget.

*Cough 1* PRIVITISATION *cough 2*

Or as fans, i know you guys scream out in the climate change rythm.

"But what can we do as individuals to help the problem caused by those making the decisions?"

I'll tell you what ~

A partition to the NRL to make the full length of the match 40 minutes with 20 minute halves.

Finally we have hope....

roopy

Referee
Our forwards with big motors last season included Houston, Taia, Hilder, Simpson - none of whom played today.
Tolar has slowly been regaining fitness.
De Gois has slowly been regaining fitness.
Faas has slowly been regaining fitness.
Cross has slowly been regaining fitness.

The backs we have who take a lot of pressure off the forwards are McManus and Gidley.

Yesterday we managed to get home with Gidley down on fitness a bit and a forward pack with just about the lowest workrate of any pack we could put on the field.

We won't get House back, but we really should be getting guys back on the field and more match fit from now on. I think Tolar is close to fit, Taia will be there soon, Hilder and Simmo will be back, Cross is getting there and De Gois is finding his fitness now.

Shenry4

Juniors
Our forwards with big motors last season included Houston, Taia, Hilder, Simpson - none of whom played today.
Tolar has slowly been regaining fitness.
De Gois has slowly been regaining fitness.
Faas has slowly been regaining fitness.
Cross has slowly been regaining fitness.

The backs we have who take a lot of pressure off the forwards are McManus and Gidley.

Yesterday we managed to get home with Gidley down on fitness a bit and a forward pack with just about the lowest workrate of any pack we could put on the field.

We won't get House back, but we really should be getting guys back on the field and more match fit from now on. I think Tolar is close to fit, Taia will be there soon, Hilder and Simmo will be back, Cross is getting there and De Gois is finding his fitness now.

Whatever the case we haven't matched the fitness of our opposition all year. That's a fact.

roopy

Referee
Whatever the case we haven't matched the fitness of our opposition all year. That's a fact.
Going over the reasons none of our forwards have had a great preparation except possibly Tuafua would be too much living in the past for me, but yes, our fitness levels across the forward pack has been lower than you would ever want it to be.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Is it really fitness of a physical kind that's to be blamed. Looks more like a mental weakness than a physical one.

aqua_duck

Coach
Has to be more than just fitness, I mean we played well right up to the 40th minutes than after a 10 minutes break for half time we just turned to ****.
Its like the boys don't want to go on with it, the defence doesn't move up, the players aren't as hungry, and we seem to give away some bloody dumb penalties (there was one of many penalties for inside the 10 where the whole team was a good 2m in front of the ref).

knightsarmy

Juniors
Its not fitness there were a few great covering tackles made late in the game.......remeber its on Rick Stones 2nd year as coach , they need to get a rev up at halftime not praises .. but on the bright side we won so not too bad

Matt23

Staff member
I still think a sports psychologist is whats needed, we've been doing these 2nd half meltdowns for over 10 years now.

Alex28

Coach
It does seem ingrained in the club doesn't it?

It almost seems that when we lead after half time from the 41-60 minute mark they go in to protection mode - like the hard work has been done and they assume that the opposition aren't going to play any better after half time.

It's only after the opposition have come back when they seem to be motivated. There was no desire last night to really kick on and rack up a big score against the Cowboys which was sorely needed - for the F/A, for the teams reputation, for Origin hopes. There was plenty of motivation yet not much happened.

Serc

First Grade
I dunno about ingrained in the club (you're not the first to post it either Alex)...I remember 2008 where we were all just as pissed off at getting behind by 2-3 tries until the final 20 mins of the game then launching an all out assault, with mixed results.

ashee9

Juniors
it's psychological now. even when the team gets over their rough second half patch later on in the season, it's probably gonna be at the back of their mind. but on the other side of the spectrum, after being labelled faders, they now have a little extra motivation to fire up in second halves. i think this week will be a good test. should demolish the sharks and see it as an opportunity to prove some people wrong

Hanscholo

Bench
There are plenty of threads on this subject with a lot more detailed thoughts, perhaps you should try reading before you bring down your verdict on fitness.

Last edited:

Alex28

Coach
Gee Hans...if only the boys would show the same level of defence in the second half as you did we wouldn't have a problem!

Rolla

Juniors
Thing is if oppositions know we fade then they will get confidence from that. They will know that no matter what happens in the first half they are still shots at winning.

Adsy

Juniors
Thing is if oppositions know we fade then they will get confidence from that. They will know that no matter what happens in the first half they are still shots at winning.

That is worrying. You could also look at it the other way too. We have a bad first half and our boys hang their heads knowing they usually get lapped in the second half.