What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggest Rivalry in World Football?

Which is the biggest rivalry in the World Game?

• Boca Juniors vs River Plate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Manchester United vs Liverpool

• AC Milan vs Inter Milan

• Real Madrid vs Barcelona

• Bayern Munich vs Bayer Leverkusen

• Vasco da Gama vs Flamengo

• Galatasaray vs Fenerbahce

• Total voters

GBT

Juniors
Ok, who's the other dude who voted for United v Liverpool?

For me it's the biggest football derby in the World. If both clubs had 150,000 seats every match would be a sell-out. The only other contender is the Old Firm, but that goes beyond sport.

In Rio, the main derby has always been Fluminense v Flamengo (They are the two most popular clubs in the city) or as the locals call it, the "FluFla" or is it FlaFlu?. :?

The Latin American derbies are probably be the most volatile, along with the Istanbul one; although two Cairo (Forgot their names) teams claim to have the biggest and meanest derby in the World.

Other notable derbies are:-
Ajax v Feyernoord
Schalke v B Dortmund
Bayern v B Dortmund (The two giants of the Bundesliga)
Arsenal v Tottenham
Bayern v TSP 1860 (Munich)
Corinthians v Sao Paolo
Sporting Lisbon v Benfica
Real Betis v Sevilla
Bohemians v Sparta Praha
Penarol v Nacional (Montivideo)
Newcastle v Sunderland
Real Madrid v Atletico Madrid
Lazio v AS Roma
Juventus v Torino
Sampdoria v Genoa
Independiente v Racing Club (Avellaneda, Buenos Aires)
Newells Old Boys v Rosario Central (Rosario)
Aston Villa v Birmingham
West Brom v Wolves
Burnley v Blackburn
Derby v Nottingham Forest

CyberKev

Staff member
Thanks for the extensive rivalry rundown, Gav.

You also exposed my Bundesliga faux pas... I had meant to put down Bayern vs Borussia, and Bayer was merely an unintended slip-up.

I'm with My Eagle Eye on this one, as its really a toss-up between Boca/River and Real/Barcelona. The first one is pure unadulterated passion, while the latter one is pretty much a continuation of the Spanish Civil War.

The Manny U/Liverpool match-up clearly has England covered, but I just don't think it can capture the fire and brimstone apparent in some of the others.

Its interesting that a couple of people have ran with the Turkish free-for-all in the poll. There's certainly no love lost between the fans of those two.

CyberKev

GBT

Juniors
Kev, the United - Redscouse is the biggest game in England - wherever you go, whatever town you visit, the most visible shirts are United and Liverpool. The game between United and Leeds probably has more hatred, especially as far as the Leeds fans are concerned.

What makes any match the greatest rivalry? On field achievements, proximity, or does each rivalry have it's own ingredients which make it so special?

I've never attended an Old Firm match, but a couple of old mates who were invited by a Celtic supporter (A Glaswegian who once told me he hated Scotland because they play in blue - that was one of the few conversations we had when I could understand him) who lives locally were in no doubt as to what they thought was the biggest football match on this planet.

chileman

Coach
Boca juniors vs River plate......also Colo Colo vs Universidad de Chile, always a couple of deaths after this match :roll:
Millwall vs anyone :lol:

bucko

Juniors
Well I'm going to step out on a limb here and say the scottish derby between the 2 glasgow teams. It may not be the most fierce derby in world soccer, but it is a 2 horse race in scotland each year for the title, and I'd imagine this would create a huge rivalry.

dude people die at boca/river games. its more then just a soccer match, its a damn war. there is no bigger rivalry then that, nothing comes close.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Matt23 said:
The Milan Derby closely followed by boca/river plate.

How is the Milan derby the greatest? That is one in which the fans can actually sit next to each other without being killed.

Most derby fans are separated.

yeah i gotta agree with lazio/roma. after seeing lazio fans going against there own team just in hope that roma wouldnt win the title was incredible!

hybrid_tiger

Coach
pennywisealfie said:
yeah i gotta agree with lazio/roma. after seeing lazio fans going against there own team just in hope that roma wouldnt win the title was incredible!

Yes. You have realised the pure hatred of the Roman derby. It has to be up there.

with river plate and boca they end up killing each other, so for that reason it must be up there.
Madrid and Barca is also pretty mad, with bricks and pigs heads being chucked onto the pitch!
lazio and Rome, well it turns into a riot every time they play each other with flares and fireworks being chucked onto the pitch.
One of those three I think.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
The Greatest Brain said:
with river plate and boca they end up killing each other, so for that reason it must be up there.
Madrid and Barca is also pretty mad, with bricks and pigs heads being chucked onto the pitch!
lazio and Rome, well it turns into a riot every time they play each other with flares and fireworks being chucked onto the pitch.

Pigs heads!!

:D

When did this happen?? That would have been funny!!

half

Coach
just because fans of the milan teams have more class and humility than fans of lazio and roma, doesn't make their fued any less significant

hybrid_tiger

Coach
parrot said:
just because fans of the milan teams have more class and humility than fans of lazio and roma, doesn't make their fued any less significant

I wouldnt even call it a fued.

:p

Craig

Juniors
chileman said:
Boca juniors vs River plate......also Colo Colo vs Universidad de Chile, always a couple of deaths after this match :roll:
Millwall vs anyone :lol:

Well that is going to deter me from going to Chile. Not really, I wouldnt mind going there some day. Anyway Bova v River Plate.

hybrid_tiger said:
The Greatest Brain said:

Pigs heads!!

:D

When did this happen?? That would have been funny!!

When the evil traitor Luis Figo returned to Nou Camp playing for Real he got what he deserved, the barca fans threw shit at him.