What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bill Harrigan

Iafeta

Referee
I didn't say it was the right call at all. You said has anyone thought he would be held up, my response is not on that surface, not with that momentum.

Glen

Bench
supersoniceagle said:
How is it? Imagine there's 30 seconds left in the game, Tim Smith makes a break with Inu in support. Smith is about to put Inu away to win the game, but someone grabs him from behind before he can receive the ball. Now would you be satisfied with a penalty and the player going to bin? I know I wouldn't be...
The rules of the game don't change depending on how long there is left on the clock.

I would have no problem with it being a penalty try IF there hadn't been several more obvious penalty tries not given throughout the year, most notably the PJ Marsh one. Bill Harrigan is a joke, he just has to make himself a big factor in the game whenever he can. To spring that sh*t on us at a crucial stage of a semi final is disgraceful

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
supersoniceagle said:
How is it? Imagine there's 30 seconds left in the game, Tim Smith makes a break with Inu in support. Smith is about to put Inu away to win the game, but someone grabs him from behind before he can receive the ball. Now would you be satisfied with a penalty and the player going to bin? I know I wouldn't be...

Geez, if you are certain of a penalty try you award it. Whether that is in the 1st minute or the 79th. If you are 95% sure of a penalty try you don't award it, whether it is in the 1st minute or 79th. The amount of time left in the game is irrelevant. If you can't comprehend that, best of luck to you.

innsaneink

Referee
Ron Jeremy said:
has anypne thought that perhaps he may have been held up as well? witt is apussy and as soft as dog sh*t

'Maybes' dont come into penalty try situations.

El Diablo

Post Whore
why did Bill have to look at Hayne's try a 1,000 times too?

it was like he didn't want to give it

Iafeta

Referee
El Diablo said:
why did Bill have to look at Hayne's try a 1,000 times too?

it was like he didn't want to give it

Just quietly, neither did I :lol::lol:

sooperdooper

First Grade
if we lost i would be fuming...we one on our defence tonight and im proud of that!
but boy if that decision cost the match i would be very very angry

innsaneink

Referee
Ron Jeremy said:
oh thats right, then why was he given a try when the situation was very much maybe:?

Maybes such as maybe he'd drop it, maybe he'll stumble, maybe he'd be held be held up....they would never get to a decision if they did come into it.

Iafeta

Referee
Ron Jeremy said:
oh thats right, then why was he given a try when the situation was very much maybe:?

Because it's Bill.

Why did he bin four blokes at Newcastle?

Because it's Bill. He'll have his own movie soon... imagine it, Magda Zabanski is... Bill Harrigan.

Razor

Coach
supersoniceagle said:

That's the rules.

If something is penalty+sinbin in the first second of the game, then it's a penalty+sinbin in the last second of the game.

If somethings a penalty try in the last second of the game, then it's a penalty try in the first second of the game.

It doesn't suddenly switch from one to the other depending on what the clock says.

ManlyFan07

Juniors
Of course it was a penalty try.

Deep down, every Parra fan knows that in the instant they saw the pass going towards Witt, they were hoping he would drop it as that was the only way the try was going to be prevented (other than Witt being tackled without the ball of course!).

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Iafeta said:
Because it's Bill.

Because it's Bill. He'll have his own movie soon... imagine it, Magda Zabanski is... Bill Harrigan.

Not right though;-)

Sorry, but i like refs showing some balls and awarding penalty tries for the sake of the game, but pleaseee that was BS, there was so much doubt!!!

Ron Jeremy

Coach
ManlyFan07 said:
Of course it was a penalty try.

Deep down, every Parra fan knows that in the instant they saw the pass going towards Witt, they were hoping he would drop it as that was the only way the try was going to be prevented (other than Witt being tackled without the ball).

You're kidding:lol:

I didn't even contemplate it, there was so much doubt it wasn't funny!!!

innsaneink

Referee
Iafeta said:
Because it's Bill.

And when bill calls it a day, we'll have Steve (I'm not short!) Clark to take his place

Iafeta

Referee
Mate, I honestly don't know what the rules are in relation to penalty try, it would be interesting to see the textbook definition and then pick it apart... my first reaction was penalty try, instinctively... because I'm confident Witt would have scored if not impeded. But I'd have been happy with penalty + bin.

Penalty Try was the correct decision IMO. When penalty tries aren't given, there is controversy, people complain about no penalty tries etc. When one is give, people complain, you can never be certain blah blah blah. Sure, that's where the Percy Montgomery award comes into play. You can never be sure. But did a professional foul remove any chance of the attacking team from scoring? Sure did. If Robinson held off for half a second, he was ok, but he knew what he was doing tackling the dude without the ball. Bill got it right.

Latest posts