What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bill Tupou to the Raiders

Cheers for that. Sounds like he was surplus to your requirements and exactly what we need to fill our injury/suspension gaps.

Would not be surprised to see him play Friday night tbh.

He wont set the scoreboard alight, but he's a very technically sound winger. What he lacks in speed he makes up for in his ability under the highball and his desire to get in and do the hard yards.

His defense has improved markedly since his first year.

Handy pickup, but again Im surprised he didnt go to the Tiges or Eels where he would of been more assured of a starting spot in a fully fit team.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I think the swift demotion and release of Tupou is an excellent sign as far as Elliott's ability to spot talent goes. Tupou had started to become close to an automatic selection under Cleary and McClennan because he tries hard and is rarely awful enough to be an obvious candidate to be dropped.

At the end of the day he is barely first grade quality and Elliott has opted to focus on players with more ability. I'm all for it.

Iafeta

Referee
His strike rate I guess isn't that high, although the Warriors have tended to favour the left edge with Mateo and Vatuvei out there. His defensive reads have improved this year, TBF so has all the outside backs defensive reads improved. McFadden has at least improved that part of our game. The one area he needs to really improve is his ability under the high ball. I think in some ways the Parramatta game Vatuvei went through a number of years ago was a blessing in disguise, because teams continually went to him and frankly he's fairly good under the high ball... Tupou though, anytime the ball went up you'd be fearful that the opposing team would score. If I'm not mistaken, it was Tupou that Edrick Lee went over the top of late in the Canberra game early this year.

Was his last game the Penrith debacle? He produced probably his strongest ever run at the back end of the game. Finished it off by losing the ball, but he made a 60 metre dash up through the guts of the Panthers.

No doubt he has ability, he was prolific in NYC and that's often not remembered, he's not out and out fast, he's decent sized but not massive, he'll go alright. He would have remained good depth for us and I suspect as his career goes on he will become a good NRL winger. I see the papers are saying moving to Canberra will mean he'll get to start, meaning he'll have a chance at the Kiwis - though I think he's a mile off that TBF. The first thing that will happen on the wings for the Kiwis is Manu will stroll back into his spot, given his outstanding form of late.

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Yeah, I also wish the guy best of luck, but he's definitely been overtaken this year by the good form of Laumape & Fish. Never hated the guy or anything, but just wasn't his biggest fan either.

Aragorn

First Grade
sad to see him go. thought he would put up more of a fight to retain his spot here.

anyway, hope he kills it at the raiders.

Meth

Staff member
They should have done a "Tupou One" deal with the Raiders, and given them Ropati for FREE!

this

although Ropati isn't going to pick up a contract elsewhere. No other club is as dumb or bizarrely sentimental as we are.

Abdullah

Juniors
been hard on Toupou but I want to wish him all the best except when Raiders meet the Warriors. I wonder if Ferner would have sort out his weaknesses by then.

Scott

Bench
I think the swift demotion and release of Tupou is an excellent sign as far as Elliott's ability to spot talent goes. Tupou had started to become close to an automatic selection under Cleary and McClennan because he tries hard and is rarely awful enough to be an obvious candidate to be dropped.

At the end of the day he is barely first grade quality and Elliott has opted to focus on players with more ability. I'm all for it.

:clap: Well said.

Aragorn

First Grade

he still has some way to go. I will be happy when he realises Manu is no longer a winger.

Benek

Juniors
On a good day Manu is still one of the best wingers in the comp. The way he's going this year I don't get why you'd want him to change anything.

Good move by team and player to release Tupou. Now's that he's number three to Fish and Laumape he probably wouldn't have played first grade again for the Warriors.

What he lacks in speed he makes up for in his ability under the highball and his desire to get in and do the hard yards.

Easy on chap, we've already got rid of him so don't worry about trying to sell it.

I think I remember him taking one high-ball under pressure in his time at the Warriors.

Most of his reputation as a good dummy half runner came off the back of quick play the balls from Manu and Inu.

Concrete feet aside, he's a hard worker.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Only issue is when/if all our wingers go down with injury.

The salary cap doesn't really allow teams to keep experienced first graders as their #4 winger though, particularly when they don't really have much utility value.

Latest posts