What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billionaire behind Souths' Inglis bid

836160-andrew-forrest-russell-crowe-and-greg-inglis.jpg

Rabbit trap ... Andrew Forrest (L) is the money, Russelll Crowe (C) is the celebrity and Greg Inglis is the prey. Source: The Sunday Telegraph

WEST Australian mining magnate Andrew "Twiggy" Forrest has emerged as the mystery man behind South Sydney's $2 million attempt to sign NRL superstar Greg Inglis after the Broncos withdrew its offer yesterday.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal Forrest has joined forces with Russell Crowe and Anthony Mundine to try to pull off the Rabbitohs' greatest signing coup.
The Broncos ran out of patience with Inglis Saturday, sensationally withdrawing a two-year deal worth more than $1 million.
We have worked long and hard on these negotiations, as have the other parties, said Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen.
But with training already underway and no sign of the matter being resolved in a manner that would benefit the Broncos and its playing roster, it is time for the club to move on"
Forrest has offered Inglis more than $100,000 a year to act as an ambassador for Generation One, his public awareness campaign designed to encourage employers across the country to offer jobs to indigenous people.

The deal is salary-cap exempt as third-party employment but is conditional on the Test and Origin champion playing for the Rabbitohs.
Other clubs, including Parramatta, the Bulldogs, the Warriors and the Raiders could also enter a bidding war but it's understood the deal is all but done with the Rabbitohs.
The billionaire businessman Forrest is one of Australia's most connected entrepreneurs. He has regular contact with James Packer, the Murdoch family, politicians and other leading corporate types.
It is believed he was introduced to the Rabbitohs through part-owner Peter Holmes a Court, an old Perth boy who still has an extensive network of contacts in the west.
Inglis spent yesterday with his fiancee in Brisbane, having been given a 24-hour deadline to sign with the Broncos - or leave.
The ultimatum was delivered to his agent Alan Gainey yesterday as the champion centre was weighing up the huge deal with Forrest on top of more than $300,000 Souths can pay him.
As exclusively revealed in The Sunday Telegraph two weeks ago, Inglis's deal with the Broncos fell over because of an unpaid $113,000 legal bill that has to be settled with the Melbourne Storm before he will be granted a release.
The Broncos refused to pay the bill because it would put them over the salary cap, but Souths claim they can squeeze him in on a back-ended deal.
How this could be achieved without having to shed another star player is the biggest talking point among other clubs. They are preparing to challenge NRL boss David Gallop and demand answers from salary cap auditor Ian Schubert if it goes ahead.
Mundine's role in the negotiations is also under the spotlight.
The Sunday Telegraph understands he offered to pay the legal bill to get the clearance from the Storm, but the NRL ruled any payment by Mundine would still have to be included in the cap.
"It's clearly a payment that is going to get him to that club," Gallop said yesterday. The Broncos insisted yesterday they had given Inglis every opportunity to wear their colours.
"'We think it is an honour to represent our club and thus felt compelled to place a deadline of this afternoon for Greg to sign the contract he and his manager had agreed to," Cullen said.
"He was unable to commit to the club so we felt we had to make this call. When the possibility of Greg coming to the Broncos arose some months ago, the club always said it was entering negotiations only because of the stature of the player involved.
"But we also said at the time that we were very happy and confident in the squad we had assembled.
"We thank the Storm and the NRL for their co-operation, and wish Greg all the best with his future and hope he can resolve it to his satisfaction.
"We know that this move will ensure the club is able to keep our current crop of talent together for many seasons to come."

It's believed Mundine has changed tack and offered to pay all legal expenses in a court action against the Storm over the disputed bill.
"Choc doesn't like seeing any of his brothers getting dudded," said a close friend of Inglis. "He's vowed to back him to hilt."
Making matters more complicated for Inglis was the prospect of challenging the Storm over the legal fees if he played in Brisbane. That would have meant a News Limited employee suing a News Limited-owned club.
The irony of Inglis returning to Brisbane yesterday to be with fiancee Sally Robinson is the Test centre only gained a release from the Storm on compassionate grounds after she was transferred to Queensland by her employers.
It's those original terms of release that has left the Storm club bewildered by a potential move to Sydney.
"We're just as confused as the rest of the marketplace," Storm CEO Ron Gauci said.
"It was on compassionate grounds [that the Storm offered to release Inglis], and that was his request.
"All of these admissions were agreed upon, and supposedly they're now reneging on those agreements.
"It's very confusing."
Gauci maintained the Storm's position hadn't changed in regards to paying the legal bill and added that the saga had left such a sour taste that it was unlikely Inglis would be seen in Melbourne colours again.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ouths-inglis-bid/story-e6frexnr-1225948779736

boo_boo

Juniors
There's that West Australian connection again.
Interesting to see if it develops past the Generation One deal & actually has a bearing on us playing more games in Perth.

BranVan3000

Coach
Perhaps Twiggy and Russ will work towards building a team out there

I'd hate to see Russ distracted from his work at Souths though

boo_boo

Juniors
Dont forget HaC is a Perth boy through & through.
Also if the Western Reds dont get admitted into the NRL in 2013 then dont be surprised to see some form of partnership develope between Souths & either the Western Reds themselves or RL in WA in general.
If the opportunity arose where there was money to be made by selling out & having Souths play more games in Perth to attract the corporate dollar then that wont be an issue that would concern our clubs owners.
Whether members agree with it or not the business plan of where our club is headed to is second to none & this is the direction in which the game is headed to & Souths are at the forefront of giving in to the corporate dollar.

Big Sam

First Grade
Whether members agree with it or not the business plan of where our club is headed to is second to none & this is the direction in which the game is headed to & Souths are at the forefront of giving in to the corporate dollar.

And what's wrong with that? Better than struggling to pay players like what occurred under the Piggins administration.

boo_boo

Juniors
Not having a swipe at anyone here Big Sam just trying to look at things from a realistic point of view.
This is how the game operates now so fair play to the current administration for making these hard decisions & setting the benchmark for other to follow.

coombsy

Juniors
I`ll say it iif no one else will, Piggins fought so hard to get Souths back in the comp because he had to

coombsy

Juniors
I`ll say it iif no one else will, Piggins fought so hard to get Souths back in the comp because he had to as he was resposible for sending as broke. I don`t care if we play an extra game in wa every now and then because at least souths are still in the comp. If piggins was still in charge the club would have folded by now.

coombsy

Juniors
I used to have alot of respect for Piggins but at the end of the day he is just a big sook. He lost an election voted on by members that he has since turned his back on.

boo_boo

Juniors
You have no idea how hard George fought to save our club coombsy & any time you want proof that the club itself was going broke BEFORE George moved into administration just let me know.
The fact remains that George took over a sinking ship & did the best he could under the most unforgiving economical circumstances of the times.
I dont agree with everything the bloke say's or does but he doesn't deserve to get vilified for trying to do his best for the club he loved so much.

coombsy

Juniors
Can you answer one question for me, as this is the only thing I have a problem with, why has he walked out on the club that he suposedly has the greatest of passions for? Can he not realize and respect members who used there vot the way they saw fit? Can`t he realize the people in charge now are running the club better than what it ever has b4?

DC_fan

Coach
There's that West Australian connection again.
Interesting to see if it develops past the Generation One deal & actually has a bearing on us playing more games in Perth.

Is the smell of re-location in the air!

boo_boo

Juniors
Can you answer one question for me, as this is the only thing I have a problem with, why has he walked out on the club that he suposedly has the greatest of passions for? Can he not realize and respect members who used there vot the way they saw fit? Can`t he realize the people in charge now are running the club better than what it ever has b4?

To answer your question as honest as i can, George is a pig-headed, stubborn individual who has reacted this way because of how he was treated by the members & the current owners & your attitude is the perfect example of why he has turned his back on the club he has so much passion for.
If you think i'm over exaggerating then check your facts & see how much abuse he copped during this time & tell me how that was justified.
The game is changing & soon it will be a game that only a few privileged individuals can afford to support at NRL level & whilst it's fair to say that George's business sense wouldn't cut it in the game today he did his best & blokes like you just try to undermine him because you have no idea of the facts of what George had to deal with during those years.
Even Russell Crowes impassionate plea for Souths supporters to dig deep into their pockets to help the club out was generally accepted better than Georges brutal honesty that we had to work within a budget & had to let players go because we couldn't afford to keep them.
Finally coombsy, name me one player that has had to sue the club for unpaid wages before Rusty & HaC bought the place as i'm interested to find out more.

drago brelli

Bench
Inglis will cost Souths $600 000 a year. Where's the money coming from? Surely the club will have to let players go. The Dragons had to let four quality players go to accommodate Gasnier and h'e not on the sort of money Inglis will command. Forrest is offering Inglis $100 000 to act as a Gen 1 ammbassador. This money will have to come under Souths salary cap. The whole thing sounds mad. Warnring to Souths supporters, 'contract breaker' Mundine is advising Inglis. Only one 'man' can sort this mess out for the 'Myrtle and Coachwood' and that's Alan 'The Parrot' Jones.

boo_boo

Juniors
Well according to the papers it's odds on Ingliss will sign with us so we will see if any players are released to fit him in.
If it does happen then i just hope they spare us the usual crap were supposed to believe.

Big Sam

First Grade
Inglis will cost Souths $600 000 a year. Where's the money coming from? Surely the club will have to let players go. The Dragons had to let four quality players go to accommodate Gasnier and h'e not on the sort of money Inglis will command. Forrest is offering Inglis $100 000 to act as a Gen 1 ammbassador. This money will have to come under Souths salary cap. The whole thing sounds mad. Warnring to Souths supporters, 'contract breaker' Mundine is advising Inglis. Only one 'man' can sort this mess out for the 'Myrtle and Coachwood' and that's Alan 'The Parrot' Jones.

No it won't. That's the third party component of his salary.

boo_boo

Juniors
Richos got it covered Big Sam.
Heard it for myself when his emptied his was garbage last week.

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
You have no idea how hard George fought to save our club coombsy & any time you want proof that the club itself was going broke BEFORE George moved into administration just let me know.
The fact remains that George took over a sinking ship & did the best he could under the most unforgiving economical circumstances of the times.
I dont agree with everything the bloke say's or does but he doesn't deserve to get vilified for trying to do his best for the club he loved so much.
I'll second that without George there would not have been a South Sydney we owe him alot it's just that he is a bit pig headed and wouldn't except the decision But no one should take George down he is Souths till the day he dies and I for one hope to see him make peace with Rusty & PHAC and come back one day, that would be the icing on the cake as far as I am concerned one big happy Souths family again.