What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Slater - Great GF Moment

Fire

First Grade
Seriously though.. what would be the best GF moments in each gf since 1990?

90 - ?
91 - Royce Simmons try
92 - Steve Renouf length of field try
93 - ?
94 - ?
95 -
96 - ?
97 - Andrew johns... Albert try
98 - ?
99 - Blacklock try and Penalty try
00 - ?
01 - Tahu try
02 - Villasanti hit
03 - sattler tackle
04 - ?
05 - benjo flick pass
06 - eh..
07 - Crocker belting Stewart
08 - eh..
09 - Fui's try
10 - ?
11 - ?
12 - Slaters defensive effort on Morris / Cam Smith effort on Ennis / Cronks kick and pass for tries

Er, just pick one matey.

firechild

First Grade

90 - ?
91 - Royce Simmons try
93 - ?
94 - ?
95 -
96 - ?
98 - ?
00 - ?
01 - Tahu try
02 - Villasanti hit
03 - sattler tackle
04 - ?
05 - benjo flick pass
06 - the fulltime siren
07 -
08 - Beaver's 180th career try, Robbo's hattrick and Kite's try under the posts. Plenty of great moments in that game
09 - Fui's try
10 - ?
11 - G. Stewart's grubber that led to DCE's try
12 - Waqa defensive effort / Cam Smith effort on Ennis / Cronks kick and pass for tries

Fire

First Grade
2010 - Morris brilliantly keeping his foot in play so the Dragons could score two plays later.

How do you like those apples, Tonearm Terrorist, you androtrop.

jimmee007

Juniors
93 - dragons short kick off
94 - Laurie Daley crawling to the line
95 - massive forward pass for first try
96 - Matthew ridge 'NOT held!!!'
00 - Luke Phillips in general
10 - Ben Hornby taking the bomb on his own line.

these are my most memorable to fill in some gaps.

Mr Saab

Referee
90 - ?
91 - Royce Simmons try
93 - JASON STEVENS BREAKING HIS THUMB AND SMITH REPLACING HIM WITH JEFF HARDY
94 - DALEY 50 METRE TRY
95 - SEEING ARKOS FACE ON STAGE WHEN THE DOGS BEAT HIS EAGLES
96 - NATHAN BROWN'S TACKLE ON RIDGE
98 - TONIE CARROLL'S TRY - BARNSTORMING
00 - LOCKYER TACKLE ON HEGARTY
01 - Tahu try
02 - Villasanti hit
03 - sattler tackle
04 - ANDREW RYAN TACKLE ON CROKER
05 - benjo flick pass
06 - TONIE CARROLLS BACK TO BACK BIG HITS AFTER HIS KNEE INJURY
08 - BRENT KITE'S TRY
09 - Fui's try
10 - ?
11 - ?
12 - Slaters defensive effort on Morris / Cam Smith effort on Ennis / Cronks kick and pass for tries

Loudstrat

Coach

90 - ?
91 - Royce Simmons try
93 - ?
94 - Bella's knock on, Daley's try, Osborne's 10 minutes channelling Beetson
95 - 7th tackle try
96 - Matthew Ridge not held
98 - Tallis accepting Tunza's CC medal.
00 - ?
01 - Tahu try
02 - Villasanti hit
03 - sattler tackle. Priddis dummy half pass to Rooney when everyone was expecting the field goal from Gower
04 - ?
05 - benjo flick pass
06 - Heather's field goal
08 - Pick one of 40.
09 - Fui's try
10 - Fein's sneaky dummy half play
11 -
12 - Simostorm blowing his load

simostorm

Bench
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...unchline-turned-the-match-20120930-26tyo.html

Slater's punchline turned the match!

THE MOMENT

BY NOW, Billy Slater is perhaps used to game-defining moments. On this stage, though? Possibly not.
Slater's effort in denying Bulldogs centre Josh Morris by punching the ball dead after 62 minutes was one of those moments that define him as much as the contest. Over the course of the game, halfback Cooper Cronk came up with more key plays, earning him the Clive Churchill Medal, but the Melbourne fullback's effort was the key play, even if the player maintained he had some good luck.
''In those situations, you just go hard early and you see what happens,'' Slater said.
''He was in front of me, and if he gets a decent bounce, he scores. You just can't give up on those plays. We were lucky enough that the ball popped up, and I was lucky enough to get a hand to it. That's footy, mate.''

While Slater was superb, the Bulldogs' danger man, his opposite, Ben Barba, was kept largely quiet. In fact, Slater's critical play was the one occasion when Barba threatened to blast the contest wide open.
He had found space down the left-hand touchline, and kicked with his right foot. Morris appeared almost certain to score but the ball popped up, allowing Slater the chance to leap above him and punch the ball away like an AFL fullback would to spoil against a forward.
''It's just part of my job,'' Slater said. ''The boys just kept turning up for each other all day in the middle there. It's just part of my job to get back there and try to compete for everything. I don't see it any more important than someone covering Benny Barba, or pushing through on the inside and making a crucial tackle. To hold the Dogs to one try - the try was probably my fault; I was a bit out of position - is a great defensive effort.
''You need to defend well to win premierships. That was the key for us.
''I could find another 16 blokes who came up with remarkable efforts as well. That's just a part of my job, to compete in those contests. I'm lucky enough that the ball popped up and I got a fist to it.''
The Storm defended superbly in the second half. While they could not score themselves, the Bulldogs were kept scoreless as well.
''I honestly didn't believe that we could defend as well as we did in the second half,'' Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy said.
Perhaps it was the timing that made Slater's effort so notable - not just the timing he showed in leaping to punch the ball, but in terms of the contest. The Storm were 14-4 in front at the time. A converted try would have brought the Bulldogs back to within four points, and striking distance, and given them the confidence that until then had been lacking.
''It was pretty crucial,'' Bellamy said. ''If he scores, it's a four-point game, and anything could have happened.
''But that's what you expect those players to do. They just keep coming up with the big plays. That might be why they call them the Big Three.''

What a terrific article.

Someone

Bench
90 - ?
91 - Royce Simmons try
93 - JASON STEVENS BREAKING HIS THUMB AND SMITH REPLACING HIM WITH JEFF HARDY
94 - DALEY 50 METRE TRY
95 - SEEING ARKOS FACE ON STAGE WHEN THE DOGS BEAT HIS EAGLES
96 - NATHAN BROWN'S TACKLE ON RIDGE
98 - TONIE CARROLL'S TRY - BARNSTORMING
00 - LOCKYER TACKLE ON HEGARTY
01 - Tahu try/ Johns masterclass.
02 - Villasanti hit/stacey jones try
03 - sattler tackle
04 - ANDREW RYAN TACKLE ON CROKER
05 - benjo flick pass
06 - TONIE CARROLLS BACK TO BACK BIG HITS AFTER HIS KNEE INJURY
08 - Menzies Try
09 - Fui's try
10 - Hornby Bomb defusion
11 - hoppa flick pass to g stewart

RABK

Referee
I celebrated too hard to appreciate the genius of what Andrew Johns did in 1997 so for me personally the Benji flick is the biggest live 'holy shit' moment in a grand final for me.

RABK

Referee
And Daley crawling the final 5 metres to the line to finish his 50 metre effort in 1994 is very memorable for me. From memory the commentary was brilliant from Rabs.

Latest posts