What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Slater - greatest ever fullback?

Is billy Slater the greatest ever fullback?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

firechild

First Grade
Grubbiest fullback of all time hands down. Put on report again tonight but alas nothing will come of it because he's Billy Slater.

Avenger

Immortal
I still wouldn't swap him for Hayne. When in the zone Hayne is the best player in the world. Better than Thurston, better than Marshall.

Yosh

Coach
Surely you can't say he is the best ever... Not only is he an amazing fullback, he's an amazing player/athlete...

dogslife

Coach
Lawlz. Minichiello? Slater is probably the best I've ever seen but I've only been watching RL for about 20 years, these "best ever" tags get thrown around too often, can Daley say he ever watched Churchill run around?

Evenflow

Bench
I still wouldn't swap him for Hayne. When in the zone Hayne is the best player in the world. Better than Thurston, better than Marshall.

So you'd rather a bloke who's in the zone only a few times a years as opposed to blokes who play far more games "in the zone" and put in more great performances than they do average ones like Thurston and Slater? Each to their own and all that but i have real trouble understanding that logic for want of a better word.

typicalfan

Coach
There wouldn't be a team in the NRL outside of the Eels that would have Hayne over Thurston given the choice, hell I reckon most sane Eels fans wouldn't even choose Hayne over Thurston.

Avenger

Immortal
There wouldn't be a team in the NRL outside of the Eels that would have Hayne over Thurston given the choice, hell I reckon most sane Eels fans wouldn't even choose Hayne over Thurston.
Hayne on his own got the Eels to the GF in 2009 only to be robbed by a team that committed the greatest fraud in the games history. Thurston is a great player no doubt, however Hayne is younger and is a better proposition at this stage of their respective careers. I watch every Eels game. Hayne carries the whole team especially in attack. He is a once in a lifetime player, an enigma and the best we have produced since Sterling and Kenny.

dogslife

Coach
ure-i.jpg

Noa

First Grade
Lol may not be the best ever but he's twice the player mini was. I think I put that argument to bed about 4 years ago. Probably about the same time tt got of his moms tit, so understandable mistake.

typicalfan

Coach
Hayne on his own got the Eels to the GF in 2009 only to be robbed by a team that committed the greatest fraud in the games history. Thurston is a great player no doubt, however Hayne is younger and is a better proposition at this stage of their respective careers. I watch every Eels game. Hayne carries the whole team especially in attack. He is a once in a lifetime player, an enigma and the best we have produced since Sterling and Kenny.
My point hasn't changed and still stands. Hayne still has a long way to go before he can control a game in its entirety like a Thurston or Smith can. Hayne is an incredible freak athlete but he doesn't lift the team around him as much nor does he dictate to the opposition line as well as Thurston does. And Thurston does it at club, state and international level. The game in Newcastle last year was a perfect example.

Anyway back on topic, if I had to say who the best fullback i have ever seen is I would probably go for Slater. Not the best footballer to play in the 1 though, that would be Lockyer.

Noa

First Grade
What Billy is is the best of the first generation playmaking fullbacks, doesnt make him the best of all time as the position has changed alot even in the last decade.

Theres no doubt if Lockyer had of stayed there it would be him and theres no doubt someone will come along in the next 5-7 years who will play the position better then Billy.

Avenger

Immortal
Agree 100%. Hayne still has a lot to learn, he doesn't realise how great he could be. If he had Hindy's tenacity and will he would be the greatest ever.

dogslife

Coach
Grubbiest fullback of all time hands down. Put on report again tonight but alas nothing will come of it because he's Billy Slater.

Surely you're not suggesting he gets rubbed out for that hit on Dugan, there was f**k all to it