What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Slater - greatest ever fullback?

Is billy Slater the greatest ever fullback?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

_Johnsy

Referee
Brilliant - Yes, without a doubt.

Best of the last 10 years - yes.

Greatest ever - Not by a long shot.

chigurh

I never thought I would see a better fullback than Lockyer.

Slater is better.

It baffles me that people can still label him inconsistent, given the last four seasons he has put together. He is now one of the most consistent players in the game and doing it at a level far beyond most.

miccle

Bench
Most brilliant fullback of the modern era? No doubt.

Best? Hell no.

Crucial mistakes and brain snaps have cost him that. Billy ultimately cost his country a world cup. He can win you a match, but will lose you one just as readily.

For that, he can never meet the heights of a lockyer or churchill.

Geohood

Bench
I would say yes... Don't know how someone could humanly be better.. Equal at best. Mini pre-injuries was right up there, but Slater better.

typicalfan

Coach

Best? Hell no.

Crucial mistakes and brain snaps have cost him that. Billy ultimately cost his country a world cup. He can win you a match, but will lose you one just as readily.

Lockyer...champion, unquestionable. But didn't he also make a costly mistake in that same game? I remember it vividly. Even the best make mistakes, Slater plays at such an intensity that mistakes should be inevitable but his stuff ups have been few and far between since 2008.

Red Bear

Referee
To even put Slater and Minichiello in the same sentence is RIDICULOUS - Minichiello doesn't even come close to Slater _ he is the BEST i have seen in my 41 years - without doubt.

Lol may not be the best ever but he's twice the player mini was. I think I put that argument to bed about 4 years ago. Probably about the same time tt got of his moms tit, so understandable mistake.
Twice the player:lol:
People forget how good Minichello was pre back injuries.

Slater Mini Lockyer and Brasher (who is under rated as hell) are the best at fullback I've seen since 95 or so.

dogslife

Coach

Best? Hell no.

How can he be the most brilliant fullback of the modern era and not be as good as Lockyer at the same time, makes no sense

thorson1987

Coach
Twice the player:lol:
People forget how good Minichello was pre back injuries.

Slater Mini Lockyer and Brasher (who is under rated as hell) are the best at fullback I've seen since 95 or so.

This.

Although I was partial to Matty sears when he was at the bears

Red Bear

Referee
The time i've watched football, 95 onwards mostly, really has been the era of the fullback. There have been alot of quality ones. The four I mentioned seemed the best but a lot on the next level down, the likes of Mullins Hodgeson Wesser cutie Boyd Hayne Dugan Hornby for a few years.

I think as the traditional 5/8 position has died off in favour of playing the half back on one side of the field, the 5/8 on the other (with a few exceptions eg Fittler Marshall Lockyer) the fullback has become more and more important because it's almost at the point where the fullback and hooker are the only two players who play on both sides of the field

Big Pete

Referee
Lockyer...champion, unquestionable. But didn't he also make a costly mistake in that same game? I remember it vividly. Even the best make mistakes, Slater plays at such an intensity that mistakes should be inevitable but his stuff ups have been few and far between since 2008.

It's always interested me how Lockyer got off scott free that night despite butchering a try that would have made it 16-0 with a ktc. I think the difference is, Locky never gave in and eventually made up for the mistake putting Inglis over to put us back in the game. Billy on the other hand went into his shell big time.

It's definitely the chink in Slater's armour, those game changing pressure mistakes. Will never forget that dolly of a kick in the 2010 4 Nations he managed to knock on.

anjado

Juniors
I think Slater is the best fullback i have seen in the 23 years i have been watching. Lockyer is the only one i would consider to be better. I saw Langlands on tape a couple of times and he certainly looked as good as the hype especially his step which was Fittleresque.

I think fullback is the most improved position in the league in terms of players. A guy like Andrew Leeds who was very solid and dependable and was a very good fullback wouldn't make any NRL side as a fullback these days.

MacDougall

First Grade
What Billy is is the best of the first generation playmaking fullbacks, doesnt make him the best of all time as the position has changed alot even in the last decade.

Theres no doubt if Lockyer had of stayed there it would be him and theres no doubt someone will come along in the next 5-7 years who will play the position better then Billy.

James Tedesco. :D

MacDougall

First Grade
Brett Stewart is pretty damn good too. If he was able to string a few back to back seasons together he'd be part of the discussion. I don't think I've seen him play poorly. I actually think he's just as good as Slater tbh.