What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Slater Ninja Kicks

andrew057

First Grade
Any player would do all they can to prevent a try but I personally dont like the way Billy goes about it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Must have been getting some coaching off Mathew Ridge! Not sure i would want my star full back putting his leg at risk like that! HAving said that nothing illegal or untoward about it. Stop whinging you girls!

P.J.

Juniors
After Manlys first try Slater slides in feet first in an attempt to kick the sh*t out of the manly player.

Typical Melbourne scummy tactics.

That's a red card in soccer. He should be suspended for it too. But then again, so should White for his elbow last week but the NRL only go hard on players when they feel like it....

Hanscholo

Bench
It has come off for him really well several times, that is not withstanding that what he is doing is extremely dangerous and illegal. Im not storm bashing or slater bashing because im not interested in either. I am concerned though that someone will get a broken arm out of it in an extreme case.

Putting your leg under the ball is one thing, sliding in at full pace, totally out of control with your studs up going on to hit the try scorer on the arm which slater did tonight is terrible.

I think we need to point out the difference there because what he did in brisbane to stop Henant was nothing like what he did tonight twice.

I thought Manly's second try was the clearest case for an 8 point try ive seen all year.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Slater is a really good defensive fullback and that is part of the reason. He is allowed to contest the ball and to try and get his legs under it. He saved Melbourne against Brisbane with that play.

I can understand not liking him, he is a grubby player, but that take he took where he jumped off Crocker was awesome. Say what you like about Billy Slater, you can't fault him for how committed he is. Sometimes he takes that too far in grubby play, but I would love Canberra to have a fullback who was both as defensivly sound and as attacking as Slater.

Chachi

Bench
I'm glad someone else brought this up.

Why is it when you stick out your leg to trip someone in general play it's a penalty, whereas if someone is scoring a try it's perfectly reasonable to slide into the tackle studs first, right into someone's face.

If you did that sort of thing in a normal tackle there'd be half a dozen players come in to smack you in the head, yet there are different rules in a try scoring situation. There is nothing tough or clever about it, it's a poor substitute for sh*thouse defence and just a cheap shot IMO.

I know in baseball it's a courtesy rule to not slide into a base studs up. No official rule about it, but its considered poor sportsmanship to slide in studs up.

Inferno

Coach
It's a dangerous tactic that should be stamped out. I understand he's trying to prevent a try, and good on him, but ffs it's pretty clear it's only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt, suppose he misjudged it and Robertston ate a mouthful of studs?

Nothing will be done till a "high-profile" player is injured though.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
If you did that sort of thing in a normal tackle there'd be half a dozen players come in to smack you in the head, yet there are different rules in a try scoring situation. There is nothing tough or clever about it, it's a poor substitute for sh*thouse defence and just a cheap shot IMO.

Sliding in is an important aspect of being a fullback. The fullback often has very little defensive options but to try and get his leg under the ball. How close did he come to getting under another manly player tonight. He is obviously one of the best defensive fullbacks in the world now.

I guess the problem everyone has is the fact he went studs up and at pace. I would agree that is dangerous, so he should try and avoid showing his studs when he does it.

He should be able to get plenty of practice as he should not be anywhere near a world cup spot.He was lucky his dropped bombs did not hurt them more.Stewart 1,Hunt 2 and Billy not required.Cat.

Latest posts