What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Slater Ninja Kicks

TimmyB

Juniors
I understand trying to get legs under the ball when trying to hold someone up, but the slide for Robertson's first try was utterly ridiculous. Was moving at huge pace and was late anyway.

Just incredibly dangerous.

Dee

Juniors
r299529_1296137.jpg

KAAAARRRAAATE....CHOP!!!!!

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Of course he was, but to be honest... if I were a storm supporter I would rather him go in NOT SHOWING studs then do nothing.

I just like my fullback to defend as hard as possible against tries being scored.

Chachi

Bench
Sliding in is an important aspect of being a fullback. The fullback often has very little defensive options but to try and get his leg under the ball. How close did he come to getting under another manly player tonight. He is obviously one of the best defensive fullbacks in the world now.

I guess the problem everyone has is the fact he went studs up and at pace. I would agree that is dangerous, so he should try and avoid showing his studs when he does it.
Yeah, picking up a player on your shoulder and driving him back is good defence too, however if you f**k it up and lift a player into a dangerous position you get penalised and possibly suspended for it.

Sliding under a player is one thing, but sliding into the ball when the ball is near the players face is careless and/or reckless. Slater is a known cheap shot merchant. That tackle seemed to be just as much about hurting the guy with the ball as it was about stopping the try. Looking at that photo there is no way Slater was going to make it under Robertson before he grounded the ball.

Dee

Juniors
When it comes off there's nothing better. Denied Brisbane several times, almost saved Manly's first(?) try. The one in the pic above was just plain stupid though, way to late, way to fast and way to dangerous. In soccer would have been red carded easily...Didn't even get a mention with the commentators.

The Tank

Bench
He should be able to get plenty of practice as he should not be anywhere near a world cup spot.He was lucky his dropped bombs did not hurt them more.Stewart 1,Hunt 2 and Billy not required.Cat.

:lol: You're kidding. He's been the best player in the league all season. And it's not as if Stewart shined in the GF to grab his spot.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
He is also watching the ball, I don't think it was a cheap shot, he is just pretty full on in the way he plays. Besides you see a lot of players go in late after tries are scored. Could it have been an 8 point try, well maybe, but I certainly see the use in trying to knock the ball free with your legs. It is basically encouraged.

To be honest if David Milne could defend like Slater I would put up with the occasional ugly incident like that.

Sir Biffo

Bench
He's a grub. He'll keep doing it until he either breaks someones arms, opens up someones face or gets suspended. Then all the storm nuffies will come on saying "it's not his go, they're out to get us".

:lol: You're kidding. He's been the best player in the league all season. And it's not as if Stewart shined in the GF to grab his spot.
Stewart owned him.Slater makes too many errors and has no discipline.He should be a shoo in for most over rated.He would not play fullback at Manly.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Surely if there is a position on the field you want an aggressive grub of a player it is either prop or fullback. I find the way he plays MOST of the time to be exactly how a fullback should go about his business.

He does on occasions cross the line.

Calixte

First Grade
Slater should still be first picked at fullback for Australia.

Best all year no doubt...

Calixte

First Grade
I can understand the comments regarding studs being up, otherwise this thread looks like a Dean Ritchie beat up column...

DangerMouse???

IAmDancingHomer

Juniors
After Manlys first try Slater slides in feet first in an attempt to kick the sh*t out of the manly player.

Typical Melbourne scummy tactics.

He learnt how to do it from that Manly androtop of the late 80's, one M Ridge. Was applauded by all when he booted the ball out of a players hand while diving over the line. Was a great move until he misses. I think the could have been fullbacks doing it before Slater, but son't let that stop you from Melbourne bashing.

Latest posts