What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BJ Leilua

stompin

Juniors
I have heard a little rumour that BJ Leilua is about to sign a deal with us for 2013.

I am not sure if he is going to be the direct replacement for Lote Tuqiri on the wing - but I would have thought we are doing okay in terms of young talent, for wingers and centres.

Discuss..

Not sure why we signed another back, we have a plethora of backs coming through the ranks, not to mention a handful of first graders currently.

I wish Sheens would be bold and sign a bloody prop for a change. Cashmere might prove to be an astute buy and hang on for another year, but we need at least another one to shore up our injuries.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
It said on a facebook page that he's agreed to terms with the West Tigers.

Good signing imo.

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
I would like to wholeheartedly thank Wests for taking BJ off our hands. Not a bad tackler but is horrific in the air and flat in attack.

R2Coupe

Juniors
It all depends on what the club has paid for him and the position he will fill. His attack should improve running off Marshall.

I would like to wholeheartedly thank Wests for taking BJ off our hands. Not a bad tackler but is horrific in the air and flat in attack.

Bullshit. He's going to grow in to a backrower. He was our leading try scorer last year (not saying much) but most tries were from a flat foot standing effort with all the work to do.

His read in the final tackle of the Canberra game to seal victory was masterful. Played out of position his entire FG career purely because Smith wanted to play him. He's a good player who will get better but I hope Wests don't play him on the wing.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Bullshit. He's going to grow in to a backrower. He was our leading try scorer last year (not saying much) but most tries were from a flat foot standing effort with all the work to do.

His read in the final tackle of the Canberra game to seal victory was masterful. Played out of position his entire FG career purely because Smith wanted to play him. He's a good player who will get better but I hope Wests don't play him on the wing.

Sheens usually wants to play EVERYONE in the backrow.

What's the bet BJ is an exception and he puts him on the wing....:crazy:

Anyway, hope not. IMO he looks perfect for the backrow, plus we have Koroibete to play on the wing next season.

stompin

Juniors
Okay then - if he is signed for the back row, are we just saying that Anasta being signed to play in the halves is a foregone conclusion?

I cant see any room for Anasta in the back row with Blair, Heighington, Fulton, BMM etc.

Personally, if I were Blake Ayshford - I would be a little worried about my position. His form this year is down about 100% on last years. For me, he has been the disappointment of 2012 thus far.

Say what you want about Blair, and an injury ravaged forward pack - the amount of tackles ayshford has missed and balls he has dropped suggest a player with little or no confidence, and for what reason?

Last edited:

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Okay then - if he is signed for the back row, are we just saying that Anasta being signed to play in the halves is a foregone conclusion?

I cant see any room for Anasta in the back row with Blair, Heighington, Fulton, BMM etc.

Personally, if I were Blake Ayshford - I would be a little worried about my position. His form this year is down about 100% on last years. For me, he has been the disappointment of 2012 thus far.

Say what you want about Blair, and an injury ravaged forward pack - the amount of tackles ayshford has missed and balls he has dropped suggest a player with little or no confidence, and for what reason?

I think it is beyond a certainty that Anasta will play in the halves.

Personally I hope we move Heigno on next season if possible. And yes, Ayshford has definitely regressed from last season.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Always liked Leilua, when he first came into first grade he reminded me a bit of tuiaki.

Probably hasn't kicked on a hoped but I think he is a true backrower. As said we have quiet a few good young backs coming through but with Ellis leaving, Dwyer unlikely and heighington coming to an end LEilua is a good signing IMO

Fordy20

Juniors
I think it is beyond a certainty that Anasta will play in the halves.

Personally I hope we move Heigno on next season if possible. And yes, Ayshford has definitely regressed from last season.

I remember putting up that Ayshford v Tahu thread earlier on this year and given his form since, I almost feel like I jinxed the poor bloke.

super_coach

First Grade
Word from the camp Aysford and Sheens are very frosty at present and Aysford wants out. Along with the "Farah to Parra" thing their are a few players who are finding the shine of sheens to be dulling.

When a team is going through a trot their are always negative rumors but I have a strong feeling theirs a big split in the camp, the Sheen believers and the non believers and one things for certain you cant beat Sheens in tigertown he is the sheriff.

Maybe two wins and a bye over the next month may squash all this stuff but I dont think so

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Word from the camp Aysford and Sheens are very frosty at present and Aysford wants out. Along with the "Farah to Parra" thing their are a few players who are finding the shine of sheens to be dulling.

When a team is going through a trot their are always negative rumors but I have a strong feeling theirs a big split in the camp, the Sheen believers and the non believers and one things for certain you cant beat Sheens in tigertown he is the sheriff.

Maybe two wins and a bye over the next month may squash all this stuff but I dont think so

I dont doubt a split among the players- no doubt they can reflect the differing opinion of events and judgement of Sheens leadeship just as much as the members of this and other website forums.

This is the first I've heard of the Farah to Parra rumour but wouldnt surprise me. I think several players whose contracts are up either this year or next are increasingly fed up with the lack of real success for WT despite all the camouflage / talking up of events and actions by WT management. I think the extenson of Sheens contract was a breaking point for many.

macnaz

Staff member
He is "The Fonz" not the sheriff . Lol . i still laugh at the fonz nickname, who was it here that started it ?

TrigaTheTiger

Juniors
Its been pretty common knowledge for some years now that their are the "aligned" guys and the unaligned

Its obvious who the aligned group are.

The excuse the others is that they are not great "trainers"

I wouldnt mind Ayshford moving on tbh - he hasnt really kicked on.

And as far as Farah goes, I love the guy, but hes not been at his best for the last season and a half.

New blood is a good thing.

So - given recent moves, I would predict Collis would be bought to replace Ayshford and De Gois would be bought to replace Farah..... (yes this is sarcasm).

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Its been pretty common knowledge for some years now that their are the "aligned" guys and the unaligned

Its obvious who the aligned group are.

The excuse the others is that they are not great "trainers"

I wouldnt mind Ayshford moving on tbh - he hasnt really kicked on.

And as far as Farah goes, I love the guy, but hes not been at his best for the last season and a half.

New blood is a good thing.

So - given recent moves, I would predict Collis would be bought to replace Ayshford and De Gois would be bought to replace Farah..... (yes this is sarcasm).

My only concern is that, if the Ayshford talk is correct, it reflects yet again on another WT trait that seems ture- we re-sign players one moment and then discard the next. Eg Gibbs. We re-sign to an extended contract, then he is discarded and shopped out soon after. Last year wasnt it that Ayshford was re-signed to an extended contract, this year on the outer and looking elsewhere.

Seems to show a lack of an coherent structural and succession planning. On the spot decisions to extend, and then decide later not needed due to toher signings. I know contract security is not what it used to be but sheez its not a good look.