What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blackcaps name squad to face West Indies

Robster

Bench
source-blackcaps.co.nz BLACKCAPS squad announced

BLACKCAPS coach John Bracewell today announced the BLACKCAPS squad for the Twenty20 match and first two one-day international matches of The National Bank Series against the West Indies.

Blackcaps%20logo.jpg

Chris Cairns is added to the squad for the Twenty20 match only, which will be his last match for the BLACKCAPS before he retires from international cricket.

“With a return to form of many players at domestic level there was fierce competition for top order batsmen. It was very much a case of deciding who to leave out rather than who to select,” Bracewell said.

“With injuries to key players and the retirement of Chris Cairns there are some issues around selecting all rounders of international quality.

“Michael Mason is currently the best line and length bowler in the country. With the gap left by injuries to Kyle Mills, Andre Adams and Jacob Oram, he has a real opportunity to prove himself at international level.

“Mills is recovering from his groin strain but does not have enough recent cricket to be considered for section. He will be returning to club cricket this weekend and will play a State Championship match before the team for the remainder of the one-day series is announced.

“Adams is recovering from his fractured hand and should be returning to cricket soon. We do not know how long Oram will be out of the frame as he recovers from his bruised heel.”

BLACKCAPS squad to face West Indies in The National Bank Series: Stephen Fleming (captain), Daniel Vettori (vice captain), Nathan Astle, Shane Bond, James Franklin, Peter Fulton, Jamie How, Hamish Marshall, Michael Mason, Brendon McCullum, Jeetan Patel, Scott Styris, Lou Vincent

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Poor selection. I can't believe they didn't pick Taylor. How is How (hehe) a better OD bat than Taylor? And when are we ever going to have a better chance to blood Taylor?

It really strikes me as extraordinary that we feel the need to pick players with woeful domestic records like How and Patel, and leave out outstanding contributors like Taylor.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I think he made a couple of scores against Sri Lanka. Someone like How on the other hand was picked on the basis of a poor domestic OD record, had a poor series, and retains his spot ahead of Ross Taylor who is his Central Districts team mate and has totally outperformed him in domestic cricket OD for the last 3 seasons.

Robster

Bench
and Papps has averaged bout 60 this domestic season, what has he done wrong to miss out? I give up.

Iafeta

Referee
I'd suspect if the Black Caps coast the first two ODIs that the squad will take a complete U-turn from there on in.

I'd love Taylor to be in there, so I can gloat to the boys that I bounced an international batsman out :)

IMO, Papps and Taylor at the very least, and possibly Ryder should be given a go before the series is out for 2 or more matches.

shiznit

Coach
im with you guys on this. this is a real chance to blood the likes of taylor and maybe ryder. i dont know if the kiwi selectors are trying to copy how aussie are holding back jaques at the moment. taylor is an exciting prospect thats for damn sure. his 100 in the semi against otago was pretty good but you just get the feeling he still wasnt in top gear. he really reminds me of adam gillchrist in the way he has great timing and he has that natural aggresive streak. and the power to match.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Ryder is a fat bastard...no way should he be in the Black Caps until he loses 10 kg at least. He makes Inzamam look like Chris Martin.

Taylor i think should definitely be given a chance. Papps is a nuffy, and he's too ugly (like Styris).

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I guess it a testimonial for Cairns

hope he has a good one

this should be a good series

Scott

Bench
Lego_Man said:
Ryder is a fat bastard...no way should he be in the Black Caps until he loses 10 kg at least. He makes Inzamam look like Chris Martin.

Taylor i think should definitely be given a chance. Papps is a nuffy, and he's too ugly (like Styris).

Sopt on there. Ryder is so far overweight it is embarrassing.

Papps is more a test player. He shouldn't be looked at in ODI's.

Taylor is hard done by. Nothing else he can do. I'd have him in there for How.

JJ

Immortal
taylor deserved a crack, he's done everything he could this year...

In place of How IMO.. interesting that bracewell has more or less said that Taylor and James Marshall are ahead of McMillan in his thinking...

But I worry about his thinking when Michael Mason has been brought back... mind you, Aust is using Dorey, Hopes and Lewis, so who's to say

Thierry Henry said:
I think he made a couple of scores against Sri Lanka. Someone like How on the other hand was picked on the basis of a poor domestic OD record, .

haha yeah right the selectors WENT for a guy on purpose with a bad record. if thats the case you may get a go with the black caps. who has the 2nd highest one day score for new zealand on debut. give the guy a chance. taylor will get a go in the later one dayers.

p.s. go the stags in their third final in three years

Iafeta

Referee
How got only what 4 innings didn't he?

I thought he looked a good batsman, except he didn't know how to tick over the singles in between the big shots which led to frustration and his dismissal.

As far as Mason goes, I thought his last ODI series against South Africa was quite, particularly a spell he bowled in Dunedin. Then it all went pear shaped in his test debut. Nerves maybe?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
How has a domestic OD average of 27 and, more importantly, a strike rate of 62. Taylor has a domestic average over 50 and a strike of nearly 90. In the series v Sri Lanka How averaged 20something with a strike rate around about 60.

Papps is much more suited to OD cricket than How. Taylor certainly is.

Iafeta

Referee
According to cricinfo.com my old bunny Taylor has a ODI domestic average of 43.06.