What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blackcaps name squad to face West Indies

Iafeta said:
According to cricinfo.com my old bunny Taylor has a ODI domestic average of 43.06.

yeah right iafeta but sky sports tryed to trick the selectors by putting up a 50 average on their graphics.

can't wait until my four fav players are in the black caps at the same time.
oram
how
taylor
and sinclair (sinclair has not put up the numbers this year)

salivor

First Grade
How is going to be a permanent Black Cap in the future but he had a good debut, the selectors have seen that he has potential at that level, they should've stored that in the memory bank and give Taylor a crack in his spot as most have said here.

The next player that should be there is Michael Papps, he's got the runs behind him at domestic and ODI level and started off the season brilliantly before he was injured. I'm really not sold on Lou Vincent opening the batting, take out his innings against Zimbabwe and he only averages 23 as an opener which simply isn't good enough regardless of his strike rate. He's too hit and miss still as he has been throughout his career, wasted potential.

Finally, I think selecting Michael Mason is a backwards step. Nothing but a simple line and length bowler, not threatening and is never going to force his way into the side on a regular basis. I'd rather see a guy like Aldridge given a crack who was fantastic last season, has a good record behind him and is much more likely to force his way into that side in the years ahead.

I'd like to see the lineup for this seres as: 1. Astle, 2. Papps, 3. Fleming, 4. Taylor, 5. Fulton, 6. Styris, 7. McCullum, 8. Vettori, 9. Franklin, 10. Bond, 11. Aldridge, Super Sub - Patel/Vincent. Guys like Vettori and Franklin are really going to have to stand up in this series with the bat with Styris going in as our only allrounder.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Iafeta said:
According to cricinfo.com my old bunny Taylor has a ODI domestic average of 43.06.

As mentioned, Sky Sports put his NZ domestic average up the other day as being 50 something. I thought maybe his overall average had been hampered by poor performances in fixtures for academy teams or something like that? Or maybe it was a mistake.

Anyway, watched Taylor make 50 off 40 today and he could be the NZ Gilchrist. He plays some really loose shots, but he's just a freak, I've never seen such a quick swing of the bat.

I don't see how How (lol again) has shown the potential to be an ODI player when his domestic OD strikerate and ODI strikerate are both in the low 60s.

go_the_doggies

Juniors
Personally i think the side is ooook.

Macca had an ok game today ... his form is improving:)

Go NZ ... btw whens the 20/20 game on, cant wait for that one, it shall be sad, cairnsy's last game *cries*:(

Lego_Man

First Grade
Thierry Henry said:
As mentioned, Sky Sports put his NZ domestic average up the other day as being 50 something. I thought maybe his overall average had been hampered by poor performances in fixtures for academy teams or something like that? Or maybe it was a mistake.

Anyway, watched Taylor make 50 off 40 today and he could be the NZ Gilchrist. He plays some really loose shots, but he's just a freak, I've never seen such a quick swing of the bat.

I don't see how How (lol again) has shown the potential to be an ODI player when his domestic OD strikerate and ODI strikerate are both in the low 60s.

He could mature into a great player, get him in there ASAP and let's see what he can do. In terms of his youth and style of play i see him more as a New Zealand Michael Clarke than a Gilchrist.

Average of 43.06 in "List A" (ie limited overs games) according to cricinfo. That probably includes a few games that weren't State Shield, so i'd say you were correct - probably includes international age group games, New Zealand A games etc.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Lego_Man said:
He could mature into a great player, get him in there ASAP and let's see what he can do. In terms of his youth and style of play i see him more as a New Zealand Michael Clarke than a Gilchrist.

Average of 43.06 in "List A" (ie limited overs games) according to cricinfo. That probably includes a few games that weren't State Shield, so i'd say you were correct - probably includes international age group games, New Zealand A games etc.

Agree. Although I don't really get the Clarke comparison. Clarke is a very quick scorer but not a guy who slogs across the line and tries to hit sixes all the time, which is really what Taylor is atm. Actually, Taylor reminds me a bit of Kevin Pietersen.