What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blackline??

SSFC Hitman

Juniors
OK just noticing the teams today and more specifically the souths team and in particular their backline or "blackline" so to speak.

Look at our backline.

1. Peachey (Aboriginal)
2. Merritt (Aboriginal)
3. Vagana (Kiwi)
4. Hegarty (Aboriginal)
5. Gordon (Aboriginal)
6. Smith (Kiwi)
7. Williams (Aboriginal-Yes I know he is whiter)

Know I want to know is this the first genuine "blackline" in the NRL or top level rugby league (I'm thinking warriors might have done it before)? Frank Curry coined the term a decade ago but he had a few "honkeys" so too speak. (I hope I haven't offended anyone with that comment- it is done in humour. NOTE I thought I'd apologise as in this PC world almost anything is misconstrued as being racist) I personally think it is fantastic that we have such a diversity in rugby league these days where this is possible.

Looking at the rest of the team we also have Asotasi, Fa'alogo and Galuvao as aother Kiwis and Widders as another Aboriginal- quite the mix we have there.;-)

yawn

Juniors
What about an aboriginal forward pack? I didnt think there was many Aboriginal forwards except Widders. A lot more aboriginal backs. Lots of Pacific Islander forwards.

kooriguy

Juniors
there are a few aboriginal forwards.. although not alot, but i doubt there has ever been a pack in an nrl team like souths blackline

8.carl webb
9.justin smith
10.sam thaiday (tsi)
11.dean widders
12.daniel wagon
13.greg bird

14.george rose
15.rod jenson
16.nevile costigon
17.tom learoy lars (a mate told me he is koori, not 100% sure tho)

kooriguy

Juniors
yes he is koori but is quite fair he is what you would term "half caste" although i dont use that terminology

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
yeah, some would care, its still racial segregation... i mean yeah this is trivial, and means nothing on the large scale... but the fact that things like these pop into the minds of people pisses me off, meh. Like you could watch the Soufs and think, woah they got a good backline... instead he watches souths and thinks, woah their backline does not possess an anglo saxon :crazy:.

kooriguy

Juniors
lol its a bit hard not to notice because it is not the norm and as he said is probably the first time its happened in the nrl.

D

Deleted member 10972

I remember Cowboys at some point during 2005 early on, with injuries, having:

1. Matt Bowen
2. Brenton Bown
3. Rod Jensen
4. Ty Williams
5. Matt Sing
7. Johnathon Thurston

I forget who else was there, maybe Justin Smith or someone was in the halves, but that is some black magic if i've ever seen it.

yawn

Juniors
Jack Off said:
decade ago but he had a few "honkeys" so too speak. (I hope I haven't offended anyone with that comment- it is done in humour. NOTE I thought I'd apologise as in this PC world almost anything is misconstrued as being racist)
the only reason someone would construe it as racist is because honkey rarely gets used in australia and you didnt use racial slur to describe the dark players. The inconsistency mainly.

Martli

Coach
Webb
Fa'afili
Anderson
Toopi
Meli
Hohaia (white, but Maori)
Jones (not sure, but hey 6 out of 7 aint bad if he isn't)

Meh, no biggie really...

kooriguy

Juniors
The Mack said:
I remember Cowboys at some point during 2005 early on, with injuries, having:

1. Matt Bowen
2. Brenton Bown
3. Rod Jensen
4. Ty Williams
5. Matt Sing
7. Johnathon Thurston

I forget who else was there, maybe Justin Smith or someone was in the halves, but that is some black magic if i've ever seen it.

forgot about the cows and if it was justin smith he is Aboriginal, although he looks white

Azkatro

First Grade
Justin Smith is part aboriginal I believe.

I had a feeling someone might have a go at suggesting Rod Jensen was ever part of the Cowboys backline, but that is stretching the truth for the sake of argument.

He played on the wing in round 1 2004 to cover for Ty Williams who was at fullback in place of the injured Matt Bowen.
In rounds 11, 14, 15 and 17 he was in the centres to cover for the injured Paul Bowman.
Then for the next 5 weeks he was named at fullback and wing for the five games where Matt Bowen played off the bench.

Then his next 44 appearances to date saw him start in the second row once (when the Cowboys smashed the Dogs on the Gold Coast in round 12 2005), in the centres once (round 17 2005 against the Warriors, covering for Origin absentees) and 42 games off the bench.

So it'd be better to say that through 2005, the Cowboys backline was:

Matt Bowen
Ty Williams
Josh Hannay
Paul Bowman
Matt Sing
Justin Smith
Johnathan Thurston

Although the halves could also be touted as being Thurston / Firman, that was the lineup for the rest of the finals series after Firman was starting halfback when the Wests Tigers belted us 50-6 in THAT qualifying final.

Latest posts