What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blake Lazarus

gr8_1

Juniors
colonel_123 said:
I'd say that's more then likely. Hasn't Sheens already said that they'd be keeping the better juniors in the open age comp, rather then the NYC as he believed that the open age comp would be of a better quality and therefore a better stepping stone to first grade?

I haven't read or heard him say that. I cannot see how the NSWRL Cup is going to be better quality. IMO it will be of lower standard than this years PL comp. Not all NRL teams are fielding teams, some are sending players to QLD Cup & local competitions and a lot of clubs have lost players to the ESL which will weaken there squads from NRL down. Playing infront of a few hundred fans most weeks won't help the game either.

Sheens has always wanted a merged team to play before the WT. Now he has got his wish. Another reason why he has changed his mind about allocating all WT players to one PL team - to bad other 'old' circumstances have now resurfaced!

IMO the NRL will become basically a U25s comp in the future as more places will need to be found for players once they graduate from the NYC.

colonel_123

Juniors
gr8_1 said:
I haven't read or heard him say that. I cannot see how the NSWRL Cup is going to be better quality. IMO it will be of lower standard than this years PL comp. Not all NRL teams are fielding teams, some are sending players to QLD Cup & local competitions and a lot of clubs have lost players to the ESL which will weaken there squads from NRL down. Playing infront of a few hundred fans most weeks won't help the game either.

Sheens has always wanted a merged team to play before the WT. Now he has got his wish. Another reason why he has changed his mind about allocating all WT players to one PL team - to bad other 'old' circumstances have now resurfaced!

IMO the NRL will become basically a U25s comp in the future as more places will need to be found for players once they graduate from the NYC.

Others, however, don't know what all the fuss is about. Tigers coach Tim Sheens told the Herald the controversy over the new competition was "a load of crap", believing the NYC would give rugby league an advantage in the battle with rugby union and the AFL for the elite juniors.

"Where are they playing now?" Sheens said. "They're playing premier league. What are we worried about? Flegg is an under-20 competition. All we've done is upgrade the competition. We've got a great vehicle to attract young kids to our sport, because of the attractiveness of the competitions.

Sheens is one of many NRL coaches planning to play his elite under-20s talent in the new open-age competition anyway, because it will pit them with and against players with first-grade experience, and thereby give them a better grounding for the NRL.

"If I've got two 18-year-olds, I might play one in premier league, if that's the best option, to play them with older players and against older players," Sheens said. "And if they're good enough, they'll play first grade. This crap, 'What about the late developers?' … we haven't taken premier league out of the competition."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...1186857781425.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

gr8_1

Juniors
I'll wait and see before I believe those comments. He will more likely play Moltzen, Lazarus & Dunley in NSWRL Cup as they have already experienced it. Doesn't say anything about the quality of the NSWRL Cup though, I still think its a mickey mouse comp - hope I'm proven wrong though.

crouching_tiger

Juniors
gr8_1 said:
For BRET ?

Think from memory, Jr Burger can still qualify for U20's. How? Because i just think he had his birthday AFTER the season finished and wont turn 21 until AFTER the end of the next season. Will be allocated to BRET also.

crouching_tiger

Juniors
Sheens said. "And if they're good enough, they'll play first grade. This crap, 'What about the late developers?' … we haven't taken premier league out of the competition."

Just as i posted earlier.... PL will still be around(under a new name) and most likely the 1st game on match day, U20's=(glorified Flegg) will become "WestsTigers" and be the curtain raiser for 1st grade. Only problem they haven't thought about is.........the quality between Flegg and PL is massive and will not impress the fans who they are trying to lure earlier to game day.

innsaneink

Referee
Only saw cracka toa twice , wasnt too impressed despite the rave reviews, though I guess with some fine tuning he could be something

crouching_tiger

Juniors
Dean Rysko to sign with the Tigers next week for 1yr.
Likely to be allocated to Balmain/Ryde-Eastwood in the lower grades...but still a chance to remain at the Magpies.
Wont be going to represent for Russia.

crouching_tiger

Juniors
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]Tigers Next Gen Greats![/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]Sons of some of Balmain Tigers greats will take their place in the new under 20s Toyota Cup national youth competition next year replacing Premier League.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]They will include Garry Jack’s son Rhys Jack, Matt Davidson son of John, Matt Ryan son of Trevor and Todd Bridge son of Gary.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]The new comp will play the curtain raiser each week to first grade starting second week in March next against the Dragons.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]Peter Gentle has been appointed coach and Paul Fletcher will coach the new Balmain Ryde-Eastwood City Cup side in the NSWRL competition.[/SIZE][/FONT]​

Latest posts