What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blow up in dressing rooms

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
What I can’t believe is how quickly some of you have turned on Duffy. You loved him last year and a lot of this year. He’s just out of form, get behind the kid and give him your full support.

Yep.. I wonder how many poor performances Lomax is graced before the torches & pitchforks come out..

As let’s face it, he will have a few bad games as he adapts to the top grade..

nearly every junior player coming thought has a bad patch of form.. It’s all part of development..

possm

Coach
I would say Jimmy Graham is amazed by the lack of fight, lack of character and the lack of internal fortitude within our club.

There is more to this than just a fall in form or fatigue. Most players want to win a competition and I'd say that they were assured that the fade in the second half of the competition was a thing of the past. When fatigue appeared again this season, it was not only a big dispointment to the players but it became a lack of trust in the coaching staff.

I say sack the coaching staff now and employ a professional coach to guide us through the finals series. Arrangments for 2019 can be conducted in the background and a new long term coach be appointed on 1 Nov 2018.

ouryears

Bench
IF that’s true, and all the other stories are true then would we really want Duffy at the club?

The thing is that it’s all heresy every bit of it. “My mates friend who is a journalist thinks...”, “Apparently someone saw Graham berate Duffy in the dressing room...”, and Dufty was reported to have posted something on social media, yet nobody saw it.

What I can’t believe is how quickly some of you have turned on Duffy. You loved him last year and a lot of this year. He’s just out of form, get behind the kid and give him your full support.
I still support him, I lay the blame at Mary, our halves and some of our forward pack.
Duffy will become a really good player, he will learn.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
There is more to this than just a fall in form or fatigue. Most players want to win a competition and I'd say that they were assured that the fade in the second half of the competition was a thing of the past. When fatigue appeared again this season, it was not only a big dispointment to the players but it became a lack of trust in the coaching staff.

I say sack the coaching staff now and employ a professional coach to guide us through the finals series. Arrangments for 2019 can be conducted in the background and a new long term coach be appointed on 1 Nov 2018.

Most players want to win the competition, that is true. I get the feeling with most of the players that it's not actually their main goal. For example JDB's stated main goal was to play Origin. Ditto Sims and Vaughn. Ditto McInnis and Aitken who seem to have switched off big time since missing out. Widdops main goal is to play for England, Lafai and McDonald to get lucrative contracts, Nightingale to finish up without serious injury, Dufty to compete a full season in first Grade. The clubs stated goal was to reach the finals which has been achieved so why bust a gut in the last couple of games. To me its only James Graham, Frizzell and Kurt Mann who are consistently being competitive.

Its Mary's and the Captains job to motivate the troops but its not happening. New coach and captain are required.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Most players want to win the competition, that is true. I get the feeling with most of the players that it's not actually their main goal. For example JDB's stated main goal was to play Origin. Ditto Sims and Vaughn. Ditto McInnis and Aitken who seem to have switched off big time since missing out. Widdops main goal is to play for England, Lafai and McDonald to get lucrative contracts, Nightingale to finish up without serious injury, Dufty to compete a full season in first Grade. The clubs stated goal was to reach the finals which has been achieved so why bust a gut in the last couple of games. To me its only James Graham, Frizzell and Kurt Mann who are consistently being competitive.

Its Mary's and the Captains job to motivate the troops but its not happening. New coach and captain are required.

I’m impressed with your read on the driving motivations for each of the players.. how long did it take to ask them all personally?

Seems a shame that no one wants to win a premiership.. I guess those premiers tattoos that a lot of those players who win a comp get are just for show?

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I’m impressed with your read on the driving motivations for each of the players.. how long did it take to ask them all personally?

Seems a shame that no one wants to win a premiership.. I guess those premiers tattoos that a lot of those players who win a comp get are just for show?

I didnt say they didnt want to win a premiership. I said I got the feeling with many of our team that it wasn't their main goal. Just an opinion champ, and me trying to make sense of the total lack of team form at the back end of the season.

Gareth67

First Grade
I didnt say they didnt want to win a premiership. I said I got the feeling with many of our team that it wasn't their main goal. Just an opinion champ, and me trying to make sense of the total lack of team form at the back end of the season.

That’s the way it comes across to me also JohnnoMcJohnno , they , some players seem to have have switched off quite some time ago . There are some who go onto the field and are quite simply going through the motions - the drive is no longer there . In fact I will go as far as saying that in a couple of our losses the Big Red V were not beaten , but simply surrendered , just no will to win .

It does not matter what happens from this point onwards as the team has been dragged down to its lowest level that I can recall since I have followed them . A massive clean out is what is required and we can start the new season with our younger players and of course a coach who damn well knows how to get the best out of his men . It will take a few years to climb our way back to the top , but I would prefer that than to watch the rabble that is currently running around in such a proud jersey !

Last edited:

grouch

First Grade

lol what an absolute dead shit of a post this is. Yeah let's ban all speculation about motivation unless you have personally interviewed every single one.

But yeah, if you like interviews here's some De Belin quotes

“But at the end of the day, I’ve been saying for so long I wanted to play Origin, so you would have had to have cut my leg off for me not to play. I’ll happily take a needle every week.”

“I’ve always said and always believed it. Anyone who has ever played with or against me knows I am made for Origin.

“My game translates well. I’m a team-first player and I will do whatever it takes ... Our team slogan.

“You don’t want to come across an Origin tosser, and that’s not my go at all. I’m pretty modest. But then at the same time you can only play good club footy for so long.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...s/news-story/47dbfd865db9feaa5dcc5f7eb133df93

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
lol what an absolute dead shit of a post this is. Yeah let's ban all speculation about motivation unless you have personally interviewed every single one.

But yeah, if you like interviews here's some De Belin quotes

“But at the end of the day, I’ve been saying for so long I wanted to play Origin, so you would have had to have cut my leg off for me not to play. I’ll happily take a needle every week.”

“I’ve always said and always believed it. Anyone who has ever played with or against me knows I am made for Origin.

“My game translates well. I’m a team-first player and I will do whatever it takes ... Our team slogan.

“You don’t want to come across an Origin tosser, and that’s not my go at all. I’m pretty modest. But then at the same time you can only play good club footy for so long.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...s/news-story/47dbfd865db9feaa5dcc5f7eb133df93
1 down, 16 to go..

ouryears

Bench
We did not have the ball for more than 3 sets his first spell and when we had the pill in his 2nd stint bloody mary had him and job playing as half and hunt getting the ball flat footed out wide in the right corridor
Ohh, fair enough then. Prob explains why Graham looked so pissed off at full time.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
That’s the way it comes across to me also JohnnoMcJohnno , they , some players seem to have have switched off quite some time ago . There are some who go onto the field and are quite simply going through the motions - the drive is no longer there . In fact I will go as far as saying that in a couple of our losses the Big Red V were not beaten , but simply surrendered , just no will to win .

It does not matter what happens from this point onwards as the team has been dragged down to its lowest level that I can recall since I have followed them . A massive clean out is what is required and we can start the new season with our younger players and of course a coach who damn well knows how to get the best out of his men . It will take a few years to climb our way back to the top , but I would prefer that than to watch the rabble that is currently running around in such a proud jersey !

Gareth
If you told continually that making sso is your main ambition and making the semi is also.
Then of course it will sink in weather you intend it to or not.
Just my 5 cents worth

321Davoe dragon

Juniors

I remember when most players had jobs labouring council garbage trucks ect and if they managed to win on the weekend they got a bonus pay,i think not a bad system ,most players wanted to win ,im not sure players these days are paid when contract signed im not sure if thats the case but they certainly get a lot more $$$ guys like Billy Wilson Norm Provan chang Gas Brian Clay ect never stopped trying thats why they were on top for so long.

Yep.. I wonder how many poor performances Lomax is graced before the torches & pitchforks come out..

As let’s face it, he will have a few bad games as he adapts to the top grade..

nearly every junior player coming thought has a bad patch of form.. It’s all part of development..
Dufty has now played over 30 NRL games and Aitkin has played for 2-3 seasons.
Aitkin has not improved one bit and Dufty looks to be going backwards.
At what point are the fans entitled to dust off the "torches and pitchforks" as you put it?
The real (and only) issue is how we as a club develop young talent and bring them through in such a way so they become successful first graders?
By any measure, we do not do a good job.
I just hope Lomax does not fall victim to our "pathways" methodology.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Dufty has now played over 30 NRL games and Aitkin has played for 2-3 seasons.
Aitkin has not improved one bit and Dufty looks to be going backwards.
Dufty has hit a rough patch over the past few weeks. This happens in development. Overall he has had many more great games than bad ones. But now fans want to cast him aside?

If you have a spare minute, watch the 2016 Anzac match.

Latrell Mitchell hands us the game on a platter.

He had a number of other errors in his game at that stage which he’s corrected.

Thankfully the 43 roosters fans didn’t want to lynch him at that point.

321Davoe dragon

Juniors
Dufty has hit a rough patch over the past few weeks. This happens in development. Overall he has had many more great games than bad ones. But now fans want to cast him aside?

If you have a spare minute, watch the 2016 Anzac match.

Latrell Mitchell hands us the game on a platter.

He had a number of other errors in his game at that stage which he’s corrected.

Thankfully the 43 roosters fans didn’t want to lynch him at that point.
There still supposed to be 1st grade players not juniors ,,there getting paid 1st grade dollars..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
There still supposed to be 1st grade players not juniors ,,there getting paid 1st grade dollars..
Yes, I’ve often found that first grade players will enter grade at their maximum skill level and either continue on a linear path their whole career, or start declining..

Nobody gets better with experience or strength..

possm

Coach
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/31/dragons-address-graham-dufty-blow-up/

It was just some jocularity, water off a ducks back. We are rooted.
'Matt said he was fatigued' so Mary put him on the bench for a rest. After 15min Nightingale was injured and Dufty came on and showed us he was fatigued. The rest is history.

If Bennett were coach and he was made a ware a player is fatigued, he would give that player a week off with light training in order to recover. What is Mary doing about this now? 'Matt will play fullback'.