What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blues Halves for 2013

6 and 7

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HowHigh

Coach
I'd go with A.Reynolds and Maloney, nothin to lose
If Pearce does get the #7 then pairing him with Maloney would be the better option.

timka4

Bench
Still think Pearce is better only because he has more tricks in his bag than Reynolds. I just have a feeling QLD will be able to easily counter Reynolds and without his kick there is not much there. Not saying I'm 100 happy with Pearce either.

Maloney as 5/8 aswell, here we go again, another year, another halves pairing lol

Fire

First Grade
Just keep the Roosters club combo.

Reynolds is good, but not good enough for Origin (yet).

TheManBearPig

Juniors
Still think Pearce is better only because he has more tricks in his bag than Reynolds. I just have a feeling QLD will be able to easily counter Reynolds and without his kick there is not much there. Not saying I'm 100 happy with Pearce either.

Maloney as 5/8 aswell, here we go again, another year, another halves pairing lol

Tricks? Pearce's only trick is kicking to the corner on the last tackle. Reynolds shits all over him in almost every department.

big hit!

Bench
muppets wanting reynolds don't know shit from shine.

and i support souths.

he's currently a game manager, not a game changer.

let him develop for another season and evaluate him then. the kid is only in his second season of NRL FFS!!

pick him now and cruel another potential HB option for the next decade.

BennyV

Referee

and i support souths.

let him develop for another season and evaluate him then. the kid is only in his second season of NRL FFS!!

A game manager is what NSW need. Guys like Farah, Maloney (assumtion), Hayne and Merrin (in his current form) can create things in attack, we need someone to organise the troops and provide direction. Pearce doesn't do this. Reynolds does.

The guy is 22 years old, he is good enough to be there.

A game manager is what NSW need. Guys like Farah, Maloney (assumtion), Hayne and Merrin (in his current form) can create things in attack, we need someone to organise the troops and provide direction. Pearce doesn't do this. Reynolds does.

Plus he has a brilliant short kicking game which can earn NSW repeat sets.
Pearce has a bomb to tate repeatedly.

Tone83

Juniors
2013 is a throw away year for the blues now that daley has shown support for pearce. Nsw halves for 2014?
I like
7. A.Reynolds
6. A. Kelly

Although that might be more 2015, it's inevitable though and once there they will stay put.

KiamaSaint

Coach

and i support souths.

I also believe we need someone who takes control of the game the way Reynolds can although I take you second point, NSW can't afford to crush his confidence. He doesn't seem like the kind of player who is low on confidence however.

BranVan3000

Coach
After seeing that City merkinry game, I'm convinced that Reynolds is the man to go to

That performance actually surprised me because it showed a lot more strings to his bow than he has shown at Souths. It's obvious at Souths he is playing to a rigid, high percentage plan. Roll your forwards up the center, and get a repeat set. Run a set play in the 20, or find the right kick for a try. The City performance was good because he got to act as the dominant half and play a more natural game, his passing was the best I've seen from him in first grade and he looks like he plays better down the left corridor which we never see at Souths. He took some low percentage plays like the 40:20s and the chips that actually looked superb when they came off, and a few great cut out balls for line breaks (I know there are a few who say he couldn't do that). There was a bit of roughness, and he needed a better halves partner and fullback to really create opportunities. He was creating havoc with the one guaranteed NSW player there, Jennings.

That said it still seemed a bit rough around the edges, while he was doing a lot of great stuff - he couldn't seem to land kicks in open space and get repeat sets as well as he normally does. If he can get his whole game on song I don't see NSW having any half nearly as good.

Actually hope he brings some of that back to Souths. They should swap around Sutton and Reynolds cause it seems both are playing on their weaker side of the field. I wonder if he learned a bit off of Freddy, who might be a drunk but does know how to play in the halves as good as anyone.

Last edited:

thundercatjones

Juniors
Reynolds must've taken a shit on Daleys wife. He's really got it out for him. If NSW have a hope of winning a series before Thurston and Cronk retire they need Adam Reynolds as Half.

watatank

Coach
I think Reynolds is the best half back in NSW atm. But I am actually hopeful they don't pick him this year. For a start, it's obvious that the selectors and Daley don't want him there. For seconds, I think NSW need a bit of a clean out. When it's 2- nil QLD and the selectors and coach finally realise that it's time for some serious change, then I'm happy for Reynolds to be blooded in game 3. Anything earlier than that would be equivalent to throwing him to the Dogs. If I'm brutally honest, I'd like to see him go through this year, another finals series and then start off next year strong before he actually starts in Origin. Although I think he is ready now, I think another 12 months won't hurt him.

betcats

Referee
I really didn't like Maloney's comments in the article. talking about how disappointing it was that the game was a slugfest and that he couldn't play a free flowing game...origin is going to be much the same except with more talented players.

He was reffering to the slow rucks i think. I wouldnt call origin a slugfest...Origin is fast, very fast.

big hit!

Bench

We agree on what he is.

You think the team needs such a player. Fair enough.

But the success of his game and NSW won't rely on him and his halves partner.

Specifically, NSW need a prop rotation that can win the middle when the game will be up for grabs in the 50-70min period.

All Sticky did was pick outside or mobile forwards who couldn't compete with the Petero, Scott, Hannant & Shillo rotation in the most important facet of rugby league in this crucial period of the game. The NSW spark came on the fringes from ad hoc play rather than the structured play of forward momentum then attacking phases on 4th & 5th tackles from Cronk (Lockyer in years past) & Thurston.

NSW need to pick a real 4-man prop rotation who can continuously deliver the heavy punch in the guts of the field throughout the game and not have undersized or 80 min hogs become ineffective and be dominated. Don't be fooled by stats. An effective prop bends the line and gets the entire unit rolling. There's a reason why they all get spells during a game.

I'm all for Gallen playing 80mins, but not as a front line prop.