What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

blues :)

perverse

Referee
Assuming everyone is full fit and not suspended:

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Brett Morris
3. Josh Morris
4. Michael Jennings
5. Chris Lawrence
6. Jamie Soward
7. Brett Kimmorley (c)
8. Justin Poore
9. Michael Ennis
10. Jason Ryles
11. Ben Creagh
12. Paul Gallen
13. Anthony Watmough

14. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
15. Keith Galloway
16. Brett White
17. Luke Lewis

I moved Jarryd Hayne to fullback and left Brett Stewart out as Jarryd Hayne isn't as effective on the right side of the field, and it's hard to judge how the Morris twins would go on the right hand side of the field. Ontop of that his best position is clearly at fullback and based on his form in 2009 he deserves it ahead of everyone else IMO. Kurt Gidley shouldn't be anywhere near the side IMO. No utility value and his fullback play isn't suited to Origin. He works great at club level with the right game plan and teammates, but not at rep levels.

did you even watch origin last year? hayne absolutely killed it on the wing (on the left). so basically you're leaving out brett stewart to accomodate a lesser player. lol, you'd fit right in with the current selectors.

the morris brothers or chris lawrence are still not worth leaving out brett stewart. not even remotely close. gidley isn't even in the picture for a start on last years form. he played bloody well at the 4 nations from the bench for australia... especially when he replaced hodges in the final.

Last edited:

Broncos fan!

Juniors
1.Brett Stewart
2.Jarryd Hayne
3.Michael Jennings
4.Josh Morris
5.Brett Morris
6.Trent Barrett (As much as I don't like it I think NSW should keep a winning halves combo)
7.Brett Kimmorley
8.Luke Bailey
9.Michael Ennis
10.Michael Weyman
11.Anthony Watmough
12.Paul Gallan
13.Luke O'Donnell

14.Luke Lewis
15.Ben Creagh
16.Justin Poore
17.Tom Learoyd Lahrs

Big Pete

Referee
did you even watch origin last year? hayne absolutely killed it on the wing (on the left). so basically you're leaving out brett stewart to accomodate a lesser player. lol, you'd fit right in with the current selectors.

the morris brothers or chris lawrence are still not worth leaving out brett stewart. not even remotely close. gidley isn't even in the picture for a start on last years form. he played bloody well at the 4 nations from the bench for australia... especially when he replaced hodges in the final.

:lol: I never knew standards were so low.

Big Pete

Referee
He didn't play poorly, simply he didn't play as well as you and your brigade made out.

He came up with a knock on, didn't defend THAT well and when he set up that try the game was well and truly over for the Poms.

typicalfan

Coach
1.Brett Stewart
2.Jarryd Hayne
3.Michael Jennings
4.Josh Morris
5.Brett Morris
6.Trent Barrett (As much as I don't like it I think NSW should keep a winning halves combo)
7.Brett Kimmorley
8.Luke Bailey
9.Michael Ennis
10.Michael Weyman
11.Anthony Watmough
12.Paul Gallan
13.Luke O'Donnell

14.Luke Lewis
15.Ben Creagh
16.Justin Poore
17.Tom Learoyd Lahrs
I like that side apart from Creagh, I have seen tougher soap bubbles than him after last year. Greg Bird in for him and I like that side a lot.

Seems the selectors are considering Tilse for the country origin team....

Dane Tilse was as surprised as anyone when he discovered his name had been tossed around during NSW Country selection meetings last season.

After an injury affected 2009 start, the towering prop was focused on cementing his place in the Canberra Raiders’ starting lineup in the weeks before the May fixture.

But fast forward about nine months and Tilse is hell bent on ensuring that no one is surprised he be picked for the State of Origin trial against City this year.

Now well into a pre season in which he believes he has improved in all areas of the game, Tilse said he was eager to break into the representative ranks for the first time.

“It would be good to get that Country jersey before my career is over” Tilse said.

“I didn’t think I was in the frame at all last year. I was a bit shocked to learn that. But this year if I can have a good start to the season I’d like to get in there. Playing in a good forward pack helps a lot too. If we can have a good start to the year and we’re dominating there’s plenty of blokes that should play rep footy. Guys like David Shillington, Tommy Learoyd Lahrs, Bronson Harrison, Josh Miller and Alan Tongue” he said.

Tilse, 25 last week, is heading into his fifth year playing regular first grade football.

After 82 NRL games he is entering the middle phase of his career, knowing a lot will be expected of him this year.

“As a prop you’re supposed to get better as you get older” he said.

“I’m pretty confident that I should have a good year. I’ve been getting a lot of hard training in and it’s all been coming together fairly well. I feel that I’m improving a fair bit with every session I do. I’ve been trying to improve everything – my fitness, my strength in the gym and just learning more about the game. As you get a bit older you get a bit more experienced about what you need to do out on the field. Things like talking around the ruck.”

At 112 kg and 200cm, Tilse is one of the biggest in what is shaping up as a monster pack for the 2010 season.

With Australian prop David Shillington, veterans Troy Thompson and Scott Logan and NSW representative Learoyd Lahrs also enjoying solid pre seasons, Raiders coach David Furner should have plenty of size at his disposal.

“We’ve got a very big pack, but we’ve got people like Tongue and Miller to balance it out a bit” Tilse said.

“You can’t have everyone massive.” - Canberra Times

Stewart
Hayne
Lawrence/Cooper
Tahu
Growthe
Barret
Kimmorley
Galloway
Ennis
Leroyd-Lahrs
Creagh
Lewis
Watmough

Poore
Weyman/Ryles
Mateo
Tongue/Gallen

Joker's Wild

Coach
He came up with a knock on, didn't defend THAT well and when he set up that try the game was well and truly over for the Poms.

1 knock on and a try you say doesnt count because Australia was in front at the time? Weak arguement mate

Gids did his job by covering any postioin that was asked of him including 1 he has never played in at club level let alone an international. Only he or Lewis are capable of doing that at rep level.

Fordy20

Juniors
"If we can have a good start to the year and we’re dominating there’s plenty of blokes that should play rep footy. Guys like David Shillington, Tommy Learoyd Lahrs, Bronson Harrison, Josh Miller and Alan Tongue” Tilse said.

Does Dane know that Bronson is a New Zealand international?

Big Pete

Referee
1 knock on and a try you say doesnt count because Australia was in front at the time? Weak arguement mate

Gids did his job by covering any postioin that was asked of him including 1 he has never played in at club level let alone an international. Only he or Lewis are capable of doing that at rep level.

A knock on when Australia was on the attack and being a general passenger yes means that he didn't THAT 'bloody well'.

Michae Jennings against France played 'bloody well'.

perverse

Referee
Kurt Gidley - Australia vs England - 4 Nations Final

Receives: 15
Runs: 12
Metres: 102m
Tackles: 9
Tackle Breaks: 3
Line Breaks: 1
Try Assists: 1
Errors: 1

other interesting stats are that more players on the aussie side made errors than those who did not make errors.

playing wildly out of position, he was hardly a passenger. he had a very good game. you could not ask more of a bench utility than what gidley provided for Australia under the circumstances.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Kurt Gidley - Australia vs England - 4 Nations Final

Receives: 15
Runs: 12
Metres: 102m
Tackles: 9
Tackle Breaks: 3
Line Breaks: 1
Try Assists: 1
Errors: 1

other interesting stats are that more players on the aussie side made errors than those who did not make errors.

playing wildly out of position, he was hardly a passenger. he had a very good game. you could not ask more of a bench utility than what gidley provided for Australia under the circumstances.

Stats. can be very misleading, there is a great example right there. Gidley was very average and was measly a passenger. Like I said, the only time he did anything in the side, the game was basically over, the Brits were out of it.

perverse

Referee
Stats. can be very misleading, there is a great example right there. Gidley was very average and was measly a passenger. Like I said, the only time he did anything in the side, the game was basically over, the Brits were out of it.
ok, we'll take your recollection of the game over my recollection and the stats to back it up.

it actually confuses me how a centre can even be a passenger in a team. they get the ball when there is a backline movement to their side of the field (unless cut out) and they tackle when the opposition makes a backline movement to their side of the field. that's essentially their job description. it's not like they go looking for the ball like a forward or a half.

pretty much ridiculous to say a centre is a passenger in the first place. they're all passengers until the blokes in the middle do their job. only the greatest centres go roving and looking for the ball... but had gidley done that people would accuse him of "getting in the way" or overplaying his hand. i guess the bloke can't win... and clearly can't satisfy some critics.

anyway, i'm not bothering with this conversation anymore. you obviously believe what you saw, and i certainly believe what i saw, and have backed it up with numbers... so i can't really do much more than that outside of sourcing the game footage and taking you through it step by step - which i lack time and effort to do.

Big Pete

Referee
ok, we'll take your recollection of the game over my recollection and the stats to back it up.

it actually confuses me how a centre can even be a passenger in a team. they get the ball when there is a backline movement to their side of the field (unless cut out) and they tackle when the opposition makes a backline movement to their side of the field. that's essentially their job description. it's not like they go looking for the ball like a forward or a half.

pretty much ridiculous to say a centre is a passenger in the first place. they're all passengers until the blokes in the middle do their job. only the greatest centres go roving and looking for the ball... but had gidley done that people would accuse him of "getting in the way" or overplaying his hand. i guess the bloke can't win... and clearly can't satisfy some critics.

anyway, i'm not bothering with this conversation anymore. you obviously believe what you saw, and i certainly believe what i saw, and have backed it up with numbers... so i can't really do much more than that outside of sourcing the game footage and taking you through it step by step - which i lack time and effort to do.

The good centres actually pose a problem to opposition defences. Gidley didn't do such a thing.

Like I said, he didn't have a bad game but to wank on about it is a farce.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I usually find your posts great Pete but your assessment of Gidley here is way off the mark.

Noone has "wanked on" about him here, however it pisses most Knights fans off when his good work (good doesnt consist of wankery does it?) is so easily dismissed because he isn't a flashy player.

Selectors and coaches love him, there's gotta be a reason why.

Big Pete

Referee
I usually find your posts great Pete but your assessment of Gidley here is way off the mark.

Noone has "wanked on" about him here, however it pisses most Knights fans off when his good work (good doesnt consist of wankery does it?) is so easily dismissed because he isn't a flashy player.

Selectors and coaches love him, there's gotta be a reason why.

It's probably my high standards, when somebody says bloody well, I expect a Jennings against France type performance.

Also that match in my mind does little to justify Gidley's spot in the Blues side.

watatank

Coach
Gidley was fine at centre in the 4 Nations Final. In saying that it's probably about the only game (out of about 10) where he has actually done something as a "utility" at rep level.