What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bmac's Retirement: Replacement Captain and Players

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Agreed - averaging in the 30's is pretty mediocre - even worse if it's a career avg.

Its not terrible for a wicket keeper to average 34.

As a batsman sole McCullum averages 43. Nothing special, but quite respectable. Better than say Mark Waugh, but not in running for ATG.

Its amazing how he gets the passions flowing in people and divides opinion.

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
Geez there's some Aussies with sand in their vaginas around here

Meth

Staff member
My take on McCullum. We needed his leadership for a time, then we outgrew it. Which is a credit to him, really...he's definitely revolutionised and inspired NZ cricket, but we need a more even tempered captain now. Good player. I'll never forget that triple century against India.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
My take on McCullum. We needed his leadership for a time, then we outgrew it. Which is a credit to him, really...he's definitely revolutionised and inspired NZ cricket, but we need a more even tempered captain now. Good player. I'll never forget that triple century against India.

In some ways he was our Greatbatch mark 2.

Greatbatch had Perth, McCullum had that tripple.

Greatbatch had a home world cup opening and slogging. So did BMac.

A new Greatbatch for a new generation.

chigurh

Its not terrible for a wicket keeper to average 34.

As a batsman sole McCullum averages 43. Nothing special, but respectable. Better than say Mark Waugh, but not in running for ATG.

Its amazing how he gets the passions flowing in people and divides opinion.

Not terrible, nothing special - once again, agreed.

Meth

Staff member
In 2014, he scored 224 against India in Auckland; 302 against India in Wellington (off 775 balls, coming in with NZ 3 for 52 and trailing by 200 odd runs- a match saving innings balancing restraint and aggressions- I haven't seen a better innings); 202 in Sharjah right after Phillip Hughes died and then 195 against Sri Lanka in Christchurch.

That's bloody impressive.

JJ

Immortal
In 2014, he scored 224 against India in Auckland; 302 against India in Wellington (off 775 balls, coming in with NZ 3 for 52 and trailing by 200 odd runs- a match saving innings balancing restraint and aggressions- I haven't seen a better innings); 202 in Sharjah right after Phillip Hughes died and then 195 against Sri Lanka in Christchurch.

It is - his 2014 was special

agree on the sand and lady parts too - always a good sign of grudging respect from our western neighbours

ANTiLAG

First Grade

Absolutely agreed. It was a great year of big scores. Very very impressive.

But as a Kiwi myself, I ask you who was the best seam bowler he faced in those games you mention?

Herath, Jadeja, Zalfiqur plundered in the first team innings of the match twice, Jadeja and Herath on day 1, Shah and Zalfiqur on day 2, most impressive is Jadeja on day 4 on Basin Reserve pitch where NZ took no spinners in.

But who was the best seamer? A very old and about to retire Zaheer Khan? Don't tell me Rahat Ali is the best bowler. Getting runs against Shami and Sharma is not a rare feat. Just ask Steve Smith.

Did any seam bowler in that run have a career average under 34 other than a very old and about to retire Zaheer Khan? Sharma does not. Shami does not. Ali does not. Talha does not. Lakmal does not. Eranga does not. Prasad does not.

With all due respect to Zaheer Khan, given his age and ability when he played those matches being 3 years overdue for retirement, there was not a quality seamer in any of those big BMac innings. Its a fact.

I firmly believe that he needs big scores against Australia next year to leave a good legacy and give credibility to 2014. Otherwise, cricket fans can fairly argue that he is a myth when his batting is talked up about those 2014 scores.

Captain, 3 wickets down chasing 188 for a series win, batting with the premier batsman, and he responds to the fast leg theory attack by playing over the head tennis serve type shots to the off side. Bradman tried that during Bodyline. He got half his typical average. However, McCullum just needed to bat sensibly and put the hook shot away and do a Steve Waugh like he had been doing. It was a low scoring chase and the seamers could not bowl all day.

I found that innings very strange.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Nice bloke big Mac and a decent enough batsman, good all rounder to as he was no mug as a keeper.

Technically not ideal but had an eye like a dead fish and could turn an ODI game in a few overs as a batsman.

Good leader of men but not a good captain tactics wise.

Kiwis need more players like him.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Nice bloke big Mac and a decent enough batsman, good all rounder to as he was no mug as a keeper.

Technically not ideal but had an eye like a dead fish and could turn an ODI game in a few overs as a batsman.

Good leader of men but not a good captain tactics wise.

Kiwis need more players like him.

His ODI captaincy record is very good. He got NZ to a World Cup final undefeated. His tactics were excellent, and NZ rightly got recognized for these tactics as England copied us in 2015 and called NZ the model to copy.

Further, he got NZ to #3 in tests, and to #2 in ODI. Lords test tarnishes his test record, but ODI captaincy skill is above reproach in my view. Destroyed India 4-0, decimated Sri Lanka 4-1, conquered Pakistan 2-0, thrashed the Windies; NZ became a force in ODI at home under him.

Australia may call that a lull, but for NZ, that is better than 8th. Tied with Pakistan in UAE after Aussie lost there, tied in England before Aussie lost, won in Windies, and beat them at home, beat India at home, beat Sri Lanka at home twice, and was a LLong DRS decision away from tying in Australia.

Ian Chappell talks a lot of crap at times. New Zealand was just horrifically under prepared for the Gabba test.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Ian Chappell talks crap all of the time.

Flem was the best skipper you guys ever had imo

JJ

Immortal
Howarth better than Flem, Coney too imo

McCullum was tactically good, some big mistakes, but tend to agree, a great leader and a good captain - if that makes sense

ANTiLAG

First Grade

McCullum was tactically good, some big mistakes, but tend to agree, a great leader and a good captain - if that makes sense

It makes sense if you appreciate he stuffed up a winning, then what should have been a drawing position as NZ was now behind the game, at Lords right up. It just became a parody of the team thinking they had the Midas touch at Lords.

Why did they think they had this Midas touch? Because everything had worked before that at home and away for a couple of years. Because he was a good captain.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade

I liked Coney's view on his own captaincy role. He is very honest as to the talent in the team. It goes like this;

He would ask John Wright or one of the guys to ask which end Richard wants to bowl from and when Richard would take himself out of the attack He would then crop rotate the other bowlers until Richard told John Wright or one of the guys that he was ready to bowl again. Richard knew he could bowl whenever he wanted for as long as he wanted. Richard effectively set his own fields.

His approach to batting as a captain was to admire Martin Crowe. preferably from the stands when playing the West Indies.

There is some humour in there, and he would have been more technical in ODI cricket, but I do appreciate the self deprecating humour of his test captaincy success. I do not know how good a captain Howarth was or was not in test cricket. Richard Hadlee was on fire then, as he was for the Coney era. Its a bit like being called a great captain by NZ standards when all you have to do is throw the ball to Warne and McGrath.

Howarth had a bowler in 1982 averaging 16, 1983 averaging 23, 1984 averaging 16 and 1985 averaging 17 respectively off a short run up doing massive overs. How much thinking do you need to do? Bowl him.

Last edited:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Very interested to see how we grow as a team under new leadership. McCullum was aggressive, and a good leader, but could also be reckless and lacked situation awareness at times.

He was certainly in my view a catch 22 at times. Could destroy the opposition when things went his way, and could also help dig us into deeper holes when things didn't go our way. Take the good with the bad I suppose.

Was always a passionate and cricketer and willing for a fight so no complaints. Excellent career, hope he enjoys retirement.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Very interested to see how we grow as a team under new leadership. McCullum was aggressive, and a good leader, but could also be reckless and lacked situation awareness at times.

He was certainly in my view a catch 22 at times. Could destroy the opposition when things went his way, and could also help dig us into deeper holes when things didn't go our way. Take the good with the bad I suppose.

Was always a passionate and cricketer and willing for a fight so no complaints. Excellent career, hope he enjoys retirement.

By retirement you mean domestic T20 leagues. He has a 3 year deal with Brisbane Heat with 2 more years on it at least. He has at least one year, (but I suspect 2 years given Chennai ban and new formation club contract) at the IPL on huge money. Radio Sport said that IPL deal alone is worth 1.6 million - that is more than 8 times what his captain contract is worth to NZ of 200,000. Even with match fees for all matches for NZ that is 400k before over rate fines. Now he can play Natwest Blast, CPL, PSL (Pak), GPL (NZ) and earn all his IPL dollars without those pesky intl tours to West Indies, England or anywhere else in Asia.

Im sure in the T20s they will love his overhead forehand "super smash" of bouncers and #brand McCullum.

I don't blame him in the least. He has combined success for NZ with making himself wealthy and marketable by creating the brand he is known for.

When he gets too old for T20 he can play Masters T20 and go on Sachin and Warne tours to the US.

I do hope with Kane, that the NZC can come up with something like NZRFU did for Dan Carter and Richie McCaw so we can at least keep him playing for NZ at 34 years of age. Even if its almost all 3rd party and have him selling garages and fast food on TV.

Last edited:
Respectable player. Not the greatest black cap ever, but certainly a good player and a good bloke.

His captaincy at times has been a bit left field but overall he's left the team in better shape than he received it.

Meth

Staff member
Respectable player. Not the greatest black cap ever, but certainly a good player and a good bloke.

His captaincy at times has been a bit left field but overall he's left the team in better shape than he received it.

Yes.

He turned a pretty rag tag bunch into a competitive unit that believe in themselves. In many ways, he's done himself out of a job in the best possible way

Bagging McCullum for his World Cup final effort is like bagging Gibbs and Donald for 1999. They're all good players, one innings doesn't define their careers.