What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bmac's Retirement: Replacement Captain and Players

Meth

Staff member
The same genius that thinks that wasn't deliberate thinks smith is without peer.

Merry Christmas

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
That would be the author of the article, I will pass you message onto him.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Not a crash hot skipper but an excellent leader of men and a nice bloke to boot.

He is very "Kiwi" for mine, loves a scrap and always at his best against us.

I wish him well for his final dig.

JJ

Immortal
Not a crash hot skipper but an excellent leader of men and a nice bloke to boot.

He is very "Kiwi" for mine, loves a scrap and always at his best against us.

I wish him well for his final dig.

He is very Kiwi - was a very good union player, kept Dan Carter out of the NZ schoolboy #10 jersey!

Apparently straight after he was told of his NZ cricket debut he went to club rugby training - Sir Paddles reprimanded him

Red Bear

Referee
His performances with the bat since giving up the gloves were pretty good. Probably could've retired after the World Cup, hasn't seemed as good in any form of the game since, good captain though. Saw him belt 195 against Sri Lanka last year, which was pretty phenominal

ANTiLAG

First Grade
NZ's performances at international level, both odi and test, undeniably turned around on Bmac's watch as captain. How much of that was KW firing with the bat, (Guptill too in odi of late) and Boult supported by Southee in tests, and Henry in ODI matches is debatable. I think he was a very fine leader in ODI cricket, and an okay one in test cricket, with some blunders tarnishing his record.

BMac averaged 30 with the bat in tests in 2015. 2016 his averages is 5 so far. 2011 he averaged 24.50. 2012 he averaged 34.50. And 2013 he averaged 32.55.

So while his 2014 and 2010 form was temporary, as outliers in his career, he somehow managed to prove he was permanent. 2014 was a remarkable year, nevertheless, quite exceptional innings were played by Bmac.

It is strange to me that BMac gets such a farewell tour, and Vettori never did. I guess Vettori never wanted one as such and wanted to play in the BBL during a plague of instead of playing Sri Lanka in NZ.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
His performances with the bat since giving up the gloves were pretty good. Probably could've retired after the World Cup, hasn't seemed as good in any form of the game since, good captain though. Saw him belt 195 against Sri Lanka last year, which was pretty phenominal

Yeah, that was a fair innings...

He's done some special things, and as twizz says he's a fine leader - tactically not the best, but the culture changed, and he's had a few players play very well

A "fine" leader doesn't bat like that in a world cup final against Australia in Australia. Can't believe Kiwi's defend that innings.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
A "fine" leader doesn't bat like that in a world cup final against Australia in Australia. Can't believe Kiwi's defend that innings.

I'll defend that innings, and I appear to be the most critical Kiwi of McCullum. But it is in test cricket that I hold my reservations of BMac.

He played that way all world cup tournament. He made the ICC World Cup XI despite that innings.

To change the game plan, having made the final, would have been a bigger mistake. If he had made a quick 30 or 40, it would have sent a strong message to the team, this is just another game and we're off to a good start. Just play it like we have all summer. He makes a 100, and NZ is odds on to win that much by the 20 over mark. He played crucial innings of 50 or so (and more) runs off sfa deliveries that helped NZ get to the final by playing that way all tournament.

The problem is he is a eager batsman of limited ability but an absolutely brilliant striker of the ball. He was not even watching the ball by his own admission. The eagerness got the better part of him, like they often do in games by his own admission. Just some games, he clears the ropes a few times, bowlers are on the back foot, and he takes over. That has nothing to do with his captaincy, but his batsmanship and ability. They are separate issues. If he had succeeded, the batting line up to follow can then downhill ski off a big run rate established, like they so often do.

Noone in their right mind would choose McCullum to bat for their life, the ol' classic Steve Waugh or Allan Border test saving captain's innings knock, despite his 300 against India in test cricket. But many would choose him to kickstart a limited overs innings with Gayle.

And in no way can BMac be blamed for the middle order collapse largely carried out by Faulkner - which was far more decisive in that match.

Last edited:
Bmac will be remembered as a good one time wicket keeper for NSW.
Replaced Dan Smith who is possibly the worst keeper in Domestic history.

chigurh

To swing like he did from ball one was a bit crazy, particularly against Starc. To not give himself even a couple of sighters meant that he *did* change his game in that final IMO - he's always been aggressive but that was another level.

Anyway, he's had a terrific impact on NZ cricket, no doubt about that. Looking forward to having him at the Brisbane Heat.

JJ

Immortal
Everyone needs a touch of arse - as per the world cup final it doesn't always work for him