What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bmac's Retirement: Replacement Captain and Players

JJ

Immortal
History will remember McCullum's tenure as captain well, I believe - and even though we didn't win, the World Cup was a special time (as was the prior home one when the team performed well).

Probably the best 20:20 bat ever too? As I said earlier, that century against Australia was insane - playing the scoop to people bowling in the 150s :crazy:

I doubt Williamson will be affected, he just seems so unflappable - but time will tell. He's an exceptional talent, who's (genuinely, I believe) so unassuming it's ridiculous. Given the established core of players, he'll be ok, I think

McCullum was an excitement machine for mine. Had to watch when he batted (except the '15 WC Final...we needed him out early to win [never thought that early, but as the Kiwis are prone to saying a lot lately, "You'd take that."]).

Would have loved to see him play Melbourne/Sydney this summer too.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Probably the best 20:20 bat ever too? As I said earlier, that century against Australia was insane - playing the scoop to people bowling in the 150s :crazy:

For NZ? Yes, until KW guns him. which going by the 2014 Champions League and 2015 NZ games is not far away.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/277906.html?class=3;template=results;type=batting;view=innings;year=2015

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/682931.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/champions-league-twenty20-2014/engine/match/763593.html

Overall? No. Gayle is light years ahead of everyone.

BMac can fight with Warner at the moment for career silver until ABDV and Kohli catch them. ABDV, Kohli and Warner will probably usurp BMac sooner rather than later. BMac was dropped from the IPL at least once if not a couple of times. KW to join those guys thereafter as he plays more games.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
For NZ? Yes, until KW guns him. which going by the 2014 Champions League and 2015 NZ games is not far away.

Overall? No. Gayle is light years ahead of everyone.

BMac can fight with Warner for the moment for silver until ABDV and Kohli catch them. ABDV, Kohli and Warner will probably usurp BMac sooner rather than later. BMac was dropped from the IPL at least once if not a couple of times.

Interesting - first, I am only concerned with internationals here, not the mercenary stuff. I have no doubt de Villiers is the best all-round batsman in the world, but his 20:20 international record pales compared to McCullum and Gayle, as does Warner...

McCullum 71 internationals 2 centuries, 13 50s, avg 35.7 and SR 136
Gayle 45 internationals 1 century 13 50s avg 35.2 and SR 142

Not light years, pretty close, and I'll take McCullum

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Interesting - first, I am only concerned with internationals here, not the mercenary stuff. I have no doubt de Villiers is the best all-round batsman in the world, but his 20:20 international record pales compared to McCullum and Gayle, as does Warner...

McCullum 71 internationals 2 centuries, 13 50s, avg 35.7 and SR 136
Gayle 45 internationals 1 century 13 50s avg 35.2 and SR 142

Not light years, pretty close, and I'll take McCullum

You' strike me as a very bright man JJ, you won't take McCullum after seeing this. Maybe you will on BMac's India and Australian games, but I would go with Gayle for his Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and India performances.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/51880.html?class=3;template=results;type=batting

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/37737.html?class=3;template=results;type=batting

But you make an interesting point to ignore the mercenary stuff. With the exception of WC T20, I think the highest level T20 is actually the mercenary stuff. The BBL matches are hard fought with Hodge, Pietersen and Kallis going for it. The West Indian spinners have dominated the mercenary stuff, and the likes of Brad Hogg are guns at 44. The IPL likewise is an incredibly high standard with so much money on the line for the players.

The ICC T20I rankings has Aaron Finch #1, Faf Du PLessis#3 and Alex Hales#4 are in the top 5 for World T20I ahead of Gayle and Warner. ABDV is #34.

No way is that remotely accurate.

I think mercenary T20 is the benchmark bar WC T20I, every bit as much if not more than T20I. Its an anomaly but its real. Bit like the NBA and world basketball used to be (or still is). I see greater quality in BBL games than many T20I I watch as the tired tourists and home team real out the C grade bowling units and the established batsmen giggle as nothing really hinges on it. IPL teams look at ODI performances for hiring T20 players who can handle or succeed in big match situations.

I mean take NZ this year, McCullum, Boult and Southee miss the limited overs tour to SA and do not play the T20s. You don't see them missing IPL tours to rest and recouperate. And in those games they can be dropped to the bench (due admittedly to a 4 import player max rule).

The cash rich mercenary IPL tournaments are not like normal domestic cricket. They are a higher level compared to international cricket than First Class cricket is to test cricket. There is so much money on the line in domestic T20 leagues and the further opportunities and chances for players to really make a name for themselves from out of nowhere in the likes of the BBL as previously non-established names, like David Warner out of grade cricket to superstar circa 2009/10. Craig Simmons is a (failing recently)example of a journeyman domestic player out of FC cricket but suddenly thrust in the T20 spotlight.

Going by previous WC T20Is - that is when the old players like Hogg and Hodge are actually given credit by the national selectors, as there is a point to winning the tournament so as to select the best team. On tours, they seem to blood new talent close to making the ODI team one day in the future.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
McCullums worth some runs in the field too

While Gayle is cool, ultimately he's a bit of a dick really :lol:

20:20 is meaningless on most levels, so to be honest I don't pay much attention - but that 100 Baz got against Australia was something else

ANTiLAG

First Grade
McCullums worth some runs in the field too

While Gayle is cool, ultimately he's a bit of a dick really :lol:

20:20 is meaningless on most levels, so to be honest I don't pay much attention - but that 100 Baz got against Australia was something else

Gayle bowls mon. But he's got this with the bat. Even if its stupidly painted gold.

Iafeta

Referee
There's been some quality trolling. Well played, bait occasionally hooked it seems.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
There's been some quality trolling. Well played, bait occasionally hooked it seems.

I wasn't trolling in this thread. I wouldn't be surprised if I was being baited on Gayle by JJ.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Moderators are here to protect LU, not tell posters what their opinions are or should be.

If you disagree with everyone, then who is the odd one out ?

Meth

Staff member
Moderators are here to protect LU, not tell posters what their opinions are or should be.

If you disagree with everyone, then who is the odd one out ?

I don't disagree with everyone. And I don't expect moderators to be opinion police. I was just pointing out what utter shit you can get away with if you claim to be fishing. Calm down.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Always calm mate, and this is not the place to complain about LU and its policies.

Also you have been guilty of the odd baiting yourself and funnily enough, no one else complained about it.

Merry Christmas asshole.

Meth

Staff member
Always calm mate, and this is not the place to complain about LU and its policies.

Also you have been guilty of the odd baiting yourself and funnily enough, no one else complained about it.

Merry Christmas asshole.

Honestly man, I couldn't care less about LU's policies and moderators performances.

I was just fishing.

You know what to do if you don't like it

Latest posts