What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Botha smashed SBW, Worst rip off of all time?

Micistm

Bench
The fight was worth every cent. It was an entertaining dramatic fight. Sonny Bill fought a great fight but he let Botha's grubby tactics get to him and he joined in on the brawl which was what Botha wanted. It nearly cost him the fight but sbw held on. Great finish. Botha was a dirty grub. Got to agree with Koda Nasser in that one. Fight was a ten rounder from the beginning so itasnt changex during the fight. Botha would not win a rematch. Sbw will only will learn from his mistake and only come back better.

**** me.

You probably believe every infomercial and reality show you watch as well, yeah?:lol:

Micistm

Bench
The fight was worth every cent. It was an entertaining dramatic fight. Sonny Bill fought a great fight but he let Botha's grubby tactics get to him and he joined in on the brawl which was what Botha wanted. It nearly cost him the fight but sbw held on. Great finish. Botha was a dirty grub. Got to agree with Koda Nasser in that one. Fight was a ten rounder from the beginning so itasnt changex during the fight. Botha would not win a rematch. Sbw will only will learn from his mistake and only come back better.

Could not agree more Koda, nasty tactics by Botha, actually trying to hit our boy in the head!!! It's so lucky you had the foresight to pay off the ref to allowing our boy to continually hug his way out of getting knocked out, stretching the standing eight count so to avoid any more damage to our boy, and ditching the last two rounds altogether...:lol:

Micistm

Bench
Williams-Botha Controversy Will Likely Bring Investigation.

Source: http://www.boxingscene.com/williams-botha-controversy-likely-bring-investigation--62198

God yes. It HAS to happen, there is so much smelly surrounding this it isn't funny. Normally you tread carefully before saying something is rigged or cheating- but this is the worst example of it for a long time. Terrible farcical look for the sport. If they value money and greed over credibility-then nothing will be done.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Sonny is great a athlete.

Not just above average like his mentor.

Have seen the fight, yes Botha came at him late, but got owned, as he should with the age difference.

Good lesson for a young fighter.

babyg

Juniors
Sbw was ahead on early points but Botha was coming home strong and SBW was out on his feet! the sanctioned 12 rnds instead of Nassers modifided 9 n 3/4 rnds would have seen SBW out for the count! Embarassing for both Aust Boxing and SBW............

Early points as in rounds 1 -8. Fact is 10 rounds was agreed at the start if the fight.

bellyache

Bench
Early points as in rounds 1 -8. Fact is 10 rounds was agreed at the start if the fight.
Botha's corner were un aware until rnd 9, fact is I and many others paid and bet on 12rnds and witnessed 9n3/4 rnds.... You are a f**kwit!

Aragorn

First Grade
I dont rate SBW as a boxer - he doesnt have a straight KO punch like his mate Quade.

I kept saying to myself during the fight - life your left arm up!! dont quite understand how he could walk about exposed like that... dont know, guess I'm just old-school... bring back mike tyson!!!!

hitman82

Bench
These two articles spell the end of Sonny's "boxing career" in my opinion:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/8283667/Bets-off-in-farcical-Sonny-Bill-Williams-fight
Leading New Zealand promoter Dean Lonergan said shortening of the Williams-Botha fight was "without doubt, the most reprehesible thing I have ever seen in sport. What happened was effectively changing the rules halfway through a sporting contest", Lonergan told the Sunday Star-Times.
Lonergan said the early finish damaged Williams' reputation and that Botha was robbed of a potential knockout win. "Unfortunately Sonny Bill Williams now has a cloud over his good name due to things that happened beyond his control."
This guy knows a thing or two about sporting events and boxing.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10864451

and shit gets even more real:

Cries of match-fixing have cast a shadow over the title fight against the White Buffalo.

It ended in farce but Sonny Bill Williams' win over grizzled heavyweight Francois Botha has some deadly serious repercussions for Williams and his camp.
Boxing officials in Queensland are meeting to see if they can curtail the activities of Williams' manager, Khoder Nasser, after Friday night's controversial heavyweight bout against Botha which caused the latter to claim "match fixing".
Doubt has been cast over the validity of Williams' victory, and on the international World Boxing Association title he won, because the sanctioning body, the WBA, may not have been contacted to approve the bout.
The hunt is also on for a mystery man who, according to Botha's corner, approached them in the eighth round to tell them the rounds had been trimmed back to 10.
A clearly groggy Williams hung on to win though an angry Botha claimed he would have knocked Williams out had there been two more rounds - an estimation most fight fans would agree with, given Williams' unsteady hold on the vertical at the end of the fight.

Betting agencies, which had offered bets based on a 12-round fight, refunded wagers to angry punters after the bout was suddenly cut from 12 to 10 rounds. Australia's TAB, Centrebet and Sportsbet claimed they gave back almost A$150,000 ($185,000) in losing wagers, and the NZ TAB also refunded some bets on which round the bout would end

As if that wasn't enough, Williams has now been called out by David Tua. Tua is challenging Williams for his New Zealand heavyweight belt, after Tua's promoter said the Williams-Botha bout had been bad for the sport and that credibility needed to be restored.
Botha's corner man, Hardy Mileham, told APNZ's Patrick McKendry that an unidentified man had loomed up in the corner during the eighth round, delivering the message that the fight had been shortened to 10 rounds.
Mileham said he quickly told his fighter: "They've cut it down to 10, you've got to open up. It's make or break."
"Sure enough, this was match-fixing," an angry Botha said in his dressing room afterwards. "How can you cut 15 seconds [from the final round]? How can you cut two rounds? That's called match-fixing."
Meanwhile, according to Brisbane's Sunday Mail, some of Australia's leading boxing figures - furious at another tainted promotion staged by the controversial manager of Williams and Quade Cooper - have called a crisis meeting to curtail his activities. A Queensland boxing official, who did not wish to be named, told the paper: "We are going to have a very serious talk in the next few days pertaining to [Nasser's] promotions in Queensland."
Brad Vocale from the WBA's Pan Asian Boxing Association told Fox Sports News: "Due process clearly wasn't done here by the self-appointed regulatory branch here in Queensland because they didn't even bother to check with the WBA whether this bout has been approved."
Vocale said he doubted the belt presented to Williams was sanctioned by the WBA, and that it wasn't a genuine WBA belt but made by a member of the Queensland branch of the Boxing Federation.
"This thing has happened before with the same promoters and the same regulatory body," Vocale added. "There was certainly no WBA official there last night. In my view they've defrauded the fight-paying public of Australia."
That could mean Williams might be awarded the win but will not be officially recognised as a WBA international champion because of the unprecedented shortening of the bout. WBA championship fights are held over 12 rounds.
Yesterday John Hogg, the supervisor of the fight for the Australian National Boxing Federation (ANBF), said Nasser and Botha's manager Tinus Strydom approached him only minutes before the first bell to say the fight was being cut back.
"The boxers may have even already been in the ring when we were told," Hogg said.
"I did find it strange to make a change like that so late in the night. The timekeeper was informed of the change and so was the referee and the judges. But it was done at such late notice there was not even time to inform the TV commentators. I find it a bit hard to believe that Botha didn't know of the change."
However, the Australian reported ANBF vice-president Alan Moore, a ringside judge for the bout, had no idea it had been shortened to 10 rounds.
Nasser was adamant yesterday that all parties knew the fight would be over 10 rounds.
Boxing image hurt
Sonny Bill Williams, on Twitter yesterday
"First morning after the fight its sinking in what a great night it was. We both knew it was a 10 rounder ... "
Dean Lonergan, boxing promoter
"To lose two rounds from the bout is a bit like the referee pulling the plug on an All Blacks match 10 minutes from the end because we thought the boys might lose. It is not on. This will hurt boxing and damage the credibility of the sport. ..."
Sir Robert Jones, property tycoon
"It was like watching an amateur show pony taking on a tired old man. By the 10th round Sonny Bill looked like he was going to be knocked out by a 44-year-old bloke who is well over the hill. Sonny Bill must have been embarrassed by what happened and he should quietly hang up his gloves and stick to playing rugby.
"The whole performance was degrading to the sport of boxing. It was a joke."
Ken Reinsfield, Shane Cameron's manager
"Before the fight Sonny Bill had been talking about it as being a 12-rounder and it was advertised on the tale of the tape as such. I have been involved with about 25 title fights and regional belts with Shane Cameron and they have all been over a minimum of 12 rounds. Sonny Bill ... was out of his depth and was out on his feet when it was stopped. I hope the punters realise that this was just a bit of showbiz and didn't really look like a genuine match."

Micistm

Bench
Lol go back to belting up old beneficiaries $BW...even this topic shows you have enough silly cheerleading fanboys refusing to see the obvious that will continue to buy your fights and keep you and your camp in the cash. You can keep your strut then without the risk a retired boxer might kick your arse again!

In the meantime, the rest of us will just point and laugh.

hitman82

Bench
Lol go back to belting up old beneficiaries $BW...even this topic shows you have enough silly cheerleading fanboys refusing to see the obvious that will continue to buy your fights and keep you and your camp in the cash. You can keep your strut then without the risk a retired boxer might kick your arse again!

In the meantime, the rest of us will just point and laugh.

Having bought the fight for the sole purpose of seeing Sonny get beat down on, which would have happened without the cheating... I actually managed to get the charge cancelled by Sky.

Micistm

Bench
Having bought the fight for the sole purpose of seeing Sonny get beat down on, which would have happened without the cheating... I actually managed to get the charge cancelled by Sky.

Good on you! And fair enough too, it was advertised as something you didn't get- a 12 round fight. The TAB have been forced to give refunds, and not for the first time. The guy from TAB was on the news last night saying this was the THIRD time (out of six fights) they have had to do this when they have cut rounds at the time of the fight. They have started to write in a 'SBW clause.':lol:

I hope more people that bought the fight will demand a refund from sky, they may not be so quick to promote the showponying little tosser! Always thought it was far too overpriced anyway- $40 for glamour boy up against a bar bouncer, a sickeness beneficiary, an overweight retiring journeyman who admitted his first love was acting, and finally a overweight retired boxer (who under a fairly run fight would have knocked him out).
I'm hoping this farce will put people off paying for another fight, but sadly he is now so hated by most they would pay if there was a chance he'll get his arse kicked. It's tempting!

royce10

Juniors
If any of you watched a decent amount of boxing you'd know Aussie boxing is a complete farce and much less entertaining than listening to the butthurt lol.

RedVDave

First Grade
Thought it was a decent fight but the end result was an absolute farce, Botha had him as good as beat IMO How tired and flustered did SBW look in the last 2 rounds? Honestly he was going to get KO'd in round 11 or 12.

shiznit

Coach
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10864436

Boxing: Team Tua keen to take on Williams to 'restore credibility'

David Tua's camp have challenged Sonny Bill Williams to a heavyweight title fight to "restore credibility" to the sport after the farcical finish to the Williams-Francois Botha bout in Brisbane on Friday night.

Promoter David Higgins, of Duco, said Botha was "robbed" in a points decision awarded over 10 rounds when everyone was expecting 12 rounds - and with Williams hanging on, desperately close to being knocked out at the end of the 10th.

"What I saw last night was an ageing warrior [Botha] who was robbed," said Higgins. "He is arguably of the same era as David Tua and I thought he was hard done by. There is overwhelming evidence that fight was supposed to go 12 rounds and for it to end like that certainly looked bad.

"It wasn't good for the sport, not good for the credibility of the sport. It's my understanding that all the marketing materials and communications and the programmes had it as 12 rounds. So we talked about it and thought we would give Sonny Bill the opportunity to go up against another warrior of the same kind of vintage.

"They always refer to Sonny Bill as the New Zealand heavyweight champion but that's a bit of a joke, too. I mean, how can you be the heavyweight champion and not rated in the top five? But Khoder Nasser [Williams' manager] has been using it as a marketing tool.

"This business with the rounds looked really bad so we'd like to give Sonny Bill, a chance to restore some credibility to the sport," said Higgins. "Right now, we are looking for an opponent for David and we'd like to offer that fight to Sonny Bill and his people.

"I'm not sure they will take the fight. I'm thinking they would probably rather drop the belt [surrender the New Zealand title] than take the fight."

"Dropping the belt" is what happens if titleholders do not fight challengers rated as mandatory by boxing associations. Higgins thought Williams could fight one or more bouts against special challengers - like the Botha fight - but would eventually be directed to fight an opponent ranked by his home association or surrender the title.

Williams' bout against Botha was also for the World Boxing Association international heavyweight title - one of those lesser titles put up by boxing associations to bestow an air of credibility to what is, in effect, only a non-title fight.

Lance Revill, the president of the New Zealand Professional Boxing Association and the body which manages the New Zealand title held by Williams, said from Rarotonga that he had been unable to watch the Botha fight and would not comment.

Higgins, asked how a fight could be shortened from 12 rounds to 10 during the bout, said some bouts were controlled by promoters who paid all those involved - the judges, the referee, sometimes even the commentators - and who might then be subject to suggestion.

"In those circumstances, I would imagine that all it takes is for the promoter to front up to a judge or a referee, eyeball them and say, 'It's a 10-rounder, got it?' No one worried about credibility or the integrity of the sport would ever dream of doing that - but that's all it would take."

Higgins also said the Williams-Anthony Mundine-Nasser camp got it wrong when Mundine was well beaten by Daniel Geale recently.

"Geale won an overwhelming number of rounds. It wasn't even close. Anyone who knew anything about boxing would know that. After the fight, Mundine left the ring and wouldn't say anything, saying later that he'd been robbed. If he watches the video, he'd see he wasn't."

:lol:

I get the feeling SBW maybe done with boxing...

Iafeta

Referee
$BW will never front Tua. Tua will destroy him worse than Jake Heke destroyed Uncle Bully. I wonder whether the Australian Federal Government's investigations will extend into this bout.

* $BW in press conferences alluded to this being a 12 rounder
* WBA sanctioned title bouts are 12 rounds
* Judges apparently assumed this was a 12 rounder
* Had been promoted as a 12 rounder
* The graphics, and commentary alluded to this being a 12 rounder
* The 10th round finished early where it was quite clear $BW was on his way down was farcical

$BW will keep fighting 40+ has beens, he'll never front Tu'a.

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
$BW will never front Tua. Tua will destroy him worse than Jake Heke destroyed Uncle Bully. I wonder whether the Australian Federal Government's investigations will extend into this bout.

* $BW in press conferences alluded to this being a 12 rounder
* WBA sanctioned title bouts are 12 rounds
* Judges apparently assumed this was a 12 rounder
* Had been promoted as a 12 rounder
* The graphics, and commentary alluded to this being a 12 rounder
* The 10th round finished early where it was quite clear $BW was on his way down was farcical

$BW will keep fighting 40+ has beens, he'll never front Tu'a.

Tua should be right down his alley then...

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Yes it was a massive rort but....

from reading this thread you'd never know SBW totally dominated the fight against a credible opponent. SBW got "shown up against a real fighter" because he won probably 7 or 8 out of 10 rounds showing some very solid skills for a complete novice?

Ultimately SBW will never have the time to dedicate his prime years to boxing, but he obviously has a real talent for it. Just wish he wasn't mixed up with these crooks.

For what it's worth Botha landed very few clean shots throughout the fight and many of the most damaging ones he did land were illegal shots. There's no guarantee that SBW would've been stopped and obviously it made sense for him to hold on for dear life and stall in the 10th round- would've been a different story if he didn't know it was the last round. If anything it was mostly exhaustion that got to him late in the piece.

Maybe he would've been knocked out, maybe he would've tried to fire back, we don't know because his people deprived us of knowing.

All in all, gutted by this whole circus and how corrupt boxing is, but you have to be impressed by SBW's skills for such a rookie.

@MarTiger

Juniors
I loved David Tua in his prime. Such an exciting fighter with raw power. I longed for Tua vs Tyson and cheered as loud as any Kiwi in 2000 when he fought Lennox Lewis for the belts. I'd actually pay for Sonny-Bill Williams vs David Tua though I don't see Khoder allowing this to eventuate.

Last edited:

Latest posts