What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boyd may actually stay

dragondad

First Grade
I hope the sentiments are genuine because it would certainly lift the Club, not that it needs much lifting.

nrlnrl

First Grade
It might be a ray of hope for Dragons fans, but a realist says he is just delaying the inevitable. He will announce his future as a Knights player some time in between SOO games or just after the 3rd game. ( ie - not when he's in camp with QLD squad )

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well I'm feeling positive. Boyd would be silly to go anywhere else.

Tim Smith

Juniors
Just when I was getting used to the idea of Boyd going he tantalises us with a possibility of staying.
Two things...1. Why delay a decision? and 2. What's with the whole get out clauses that are so rampant in the game today?...we signed him on an extension earlier this year apparently but now are hamstrung because of a get out clause. I thought we would have learnt through the whole Gasnier get out clause a few years ago. I may be too old school to understand it but boy I wish a contract was a contract.
Either way Darius has served us well and given us much to cheer about; if he stays fantastic, if not all the best to him and we will entrust someone else to the job...like one of the Stanley's.

Western Saint

First Grade
Two things...1. Why delay a decision? and 2. What's with the whole get out clauses that are so rampant in the game today?
1. To get more coin out of newcastle
2. Sometimes the only way a player will re-sign is with this so its better to take it than leave it.

Father Ted

First Grade
Reading between the lines I get the impression that his preference is either us or a trip home to S E Qld
It is believed Boyd would have returned to the Broncos had Bennett agreed to go back to the club he built, but it is understood his desire to relocate to Newcastle is not as strong.

Minh

First Grade
I think he's just being kind to us giving us hope, I think his passion for the Dragons is genuine though, but until he makes that decision I'll just wait and see.:)

rhino2009

Juniors
I mentioned on another thread that a few top ESL clubs were interested in Matt Cooper. The responses were that if Boyd left then Cooper would stay and sign a 2 year contract extension. If Boyd now stays with the Dragons where does this leave Cooper? Will he stay with the Dragons or could he now be tempted to join a top Super League club?

Gaba

First Grade
as things go at the moment if boyd did re-sign he is a done deal at the dragons , until announced otherwise e.g if he uses his clause

i wonder could something like this happen

Boyd decides to play for the dragons for the first half of next year to see how he feels without bennett, if he decides he feels he would be better under Bennett then goes to the knights halfway through next year

Last edited:

W.Smith

Juniors
i was actually looking at him on Sundy as he celebrated one of the tries with the boys and thought to myself, 'how can you walk away Darb' ?

hope he does stay though im not worried if he does go with the depth at Saints atm

ggould

Juniors
When Benny first announced he was leaving the Bronco's i seem to remember Darius calling Benny and saying that the Bronco's didn't want to retain him!! So he came to us at the Dragons! the big difference here is he know's he is more than wanted at the Dragons and Benny being the man he is may well advise him to stay where he know's he's happy!!Thats the very thing that makes Wayne Bennett who he is nothing but genuine!! That being said if Darius wants to go then go with all the luck he deserves!! I just want to thank him for all his done for the Dragons I can"t ever remember a single game where he hasn't put in 110% for himself and the club!!!!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
For him to come out and say that which he did not have to, it sounds like he is serioulsy considering staying at the Dragons. That would be absolute sensational news.
Seriously though, if he likes the culture and the people around him and on top of that get good coin why would he leave and start all over again getting use to a new culture and people.

Come on Boyd, you can't leave us now........

God-King Dean

Immortal
Reading between the lines I get the impression that his preference is either us or a trip home to S E Qld
It is believed Boyd would have returned to the Broncos had Bennett agreed to go back to the club he built, but it is understood his desire to relocate to Newcastle is not as strong.

This is what I'm thinking.

Brisbane = family, his natural home, no Bennett
Dragons = nothing not to like about the place atm, but no Bennett which raises ? about how we'll go.
Knights = Bennett. I don't believe he wants to live in Newcastle - they already have a contract done up, he would have signed it by now if he didn't mind living there.

I'd rather he stays, but I won't be slitting my wrist as we have Stanley rotting on the bench.

Dragons = nothing not to like about the place atm, but no Bennett which raises ? about how we'll go.

and you can bet anything that next year, the first game we lose, the media and everyone who hates us will be banging on about how we are gone now ect ect wont make the 8...

similar to geyer when we lost to the schorks but on a much, much bigger scale.

Latest posts