What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boyd may actually stay

Father Ted

First Grade
Certainly hope he stays as he is a great fit with the team. On a tangent though as I near retirement I find it rather refreshing that some tough footballer still wants to spend time with his grandmother.

Agreed really nice to see a guy who values family and maybe also his football tribe perhaps . I for one want to believe he will stay he may not , but geez I'd be happy if he did :D And Don't worry Kyle plenty of positions and gametime for a quality player like you;-)

Thanks Daniel
About ten minutes or less once I started but I'd written something similar a while ago so about half of the names were already in the back of my twisted mind

May I have a go?

Of course, being coached by the King certainly does help. He gets his message across as easily as a hot Stanley knife through butter.

big pat

Coach
and don't forget we have genuine players here, no one who thinks there PENESE is bigger than others.

nrlnrl

First Grade
So what's your problem then? Everyone's getting their hopes up.. They have a right to don't they?

absolutely, just as I have the right to be pessimistic

As you correctly said earlier "You have every right to say what you want and feel how you feel, but so does everyone else"

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I hope he stays......but if his intentions are to honour his contract that was signed before this season (and now knowing Bennett is leaving) I query why hes not announced it todate...unless hes hanging out for more coin from Saints or Newcastle.....still would be great to see him stay...... after Benny retires I could see him at 5/8 with Sowie at 1/2 and Stanley at fullback..what do you think...

RedVDave

First Grade
Tight fit for Dragons' salary cap

BY MICHAEL CHAMMAS
09 Jun, 2011 04:00 AM
Long-serving St George Illawarra centre Matt Cooper may be forced to take a significant pay cut to remain a Dragon for life if Darius Boyd decides to stay at the club next season.
Negotiations between Cooper's manager George Mimis and Dragons chief Peter Doust remain at loggerheads, with the club holding off on agreeing to a contract extension before Boyd announces his plans for 2012.
A source within the Dragons was quick to shut down growing rumours Cooper would be forced out of the club to retain Boyd, insisting there would be enough room in the salary cap to retain both players.

But with Mark Gasnier on a back-ended deal and all of St George Illawarra's representative stars secured for next season, Boyd's signature will make it extremely difficult for Cooper to demand the money he would attract if he was to assess all his options.
However, at the start of the season, Cooper told the Mercury the door had well and truly closed on his English Super League ambitions and he was hellbent on finishing his career a one-club man.
Boyd, who is also managed by Mimis, agreed to a new three-year deal with the Dragons early this year.
But a clause in his contract allows the 23-year-old to leave if coach Wayne Bennett departs.
If Boyd was to follow his mentor to Newcastle or reunite with the Broncos next season, his departure would free up substantial space in the cap, allowing the Dragons to offer Cooper what he's worth.
It is understood Cooper's retirement from representative football may have been used as a bargaining chip in his bid to secure a new deal with the Origin-depleted Dragons.
During the preseason, the veteran centre expressed his desire to play in this year's Origin series, but when contract negotiations began, the 32-year-old backflipped on his plans and announced his retirement from representative football.Boyd is hoping to make a decision on his future by the end of the month.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...tight-fit-for-dragons-salary-cap/2189791.aspx

No new information really but a flicker of hope Boyd will stay.

Latest posts