What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boyd V Brohmarn

SGID

First Grade
For those with a memory....

What was the reason The Big Marn sued Les Boyd for ?

Article in RLW has advised he sued him for $35,000, presuming it was for loss of income ?

gong_eagle

First Grade
Brohman had his Jaw broken by Boyd on his State of Origin Debut in Game 1 of 1983, not sure of what happened with the sueing

gong_eagle said:
Brohman had his Jaw broken by Boyd on his State of Origin Debut in Game 1 of 1983, not sure of what happened with the sueing

wasn't it his 2nd game wasn't it?

boyd reckons he was told to take queenslanders out to make sure the test team had no queenslanders in it and his suspension afterwards was a major stab in the back, brohman apparently has an article in tomorrows paper about boyd too

parra pete

Referee
I sat next to Daryl at the function. He is a very funny man. Les was on the same table about three chairs away. They were very professional in the interview with Danny McMaster but very cooool on the table at the conclusion. Btw, both are good blokes...Les has a long memory.

SGID

First Grade
I knew about the broken jaw part, was just wondering on what basis he sued him for.

Can only presume it was for loss of income.

Makes you wonder if it could happen in todays environment.

parra pete

Referee
SGID said:
I knew about the broken jaw part, was just wondering on what basis he sued him for.

Can only presume it was for loss of income.

Makes you wonder if it could happen in todays environment.

Of course it could happen. I'm surprised it hasn't.
The broken jaw cost Brohman a certain Test jumper. Les said he (Boyd) was on $50,000 plus a $1000 a game with Manly. He was suspended for 12 months and had to pay Daryl $35,000. No wonder he had the sh*ts. He is a believer in what happens on the field stays on the field.

Litigation is not new. It has happened before..Mark Bugden was sued for an injury to Steve Rogers, and I think from memory a Cronulla half back also sued Steve Mortimer.
Of course Garry Jack sued Ian Roberts, and Jarrod McCracken sued Steve Kearney and Marcus Bai

SGID

First Grade
Thanks for that, any idea on how long was Brohman out for with the busted jaw ?

parra pete

Referee
I think he missed the rest of the season..never thought to ask him that.
Tony Butterfield, Nick Walshaw (RLW) Bomber Peard and Danny McMaster and his wife Tracey were also on our table with Ken Beissel, General Manager of Cavalier Developments major sponsor of the FOGs.

gong_eagle

First Grade
EXCLUSIVE by Darryl Brohman
July 15, 2007

sunday telegraph

AS you know, I'm normally the big, fat jolly fellow who writes entertaining and humorous stuff.
But today the gloves are off and it's time to stand up for myself.
Last week, Les Boyd claimed that before State of Origin I in 1983, Australian selectors Ernie Hammerton, Les "Chicka'' Cowie and Peter McLean told Les he could do whatever was required to make sure no Queenslanders were in the Australian side.
With this in mind, Les unleashed hell on Queensland.
Unfortunately for me, I was on the end of an elbow to the head that broke my jaw.
Les, the lovable larrikin with a killer sense of humour, said: "I still maintain my elbow on Brohman was not deliberate. If I wanted to do it on purpose, I would have gone for Gene Miles or Wally Lewis. Brohman was a better asset for us on the field than off it.''
Of course it wasn't deliberate, Les. That is the way we were taught to tackle: you must run in with your elbow cocked at the head of an opponent. That should stop 'em, shouldn't it, Les?
I will concede that Gene and Wally were infinitely better players than me and if I was to accidentally take someone out with foul tactics (something 99 per cent of footballers would never consider), it would have been Geno or Wally on the end of my elbow.
Another really good point, Les.
When Les was asked last week to describe a meeting between the two of us before Origin III this year, he said: "I think he was s----ing himself. No doubt he's embarrassed by what happened. I admit what I did was not right but I apologised to the bloke during the game and again after the game. But he took it to the courts and sued me. That's life.''
I appreciate that you apologised, Les, that was big of you.
Now, let's start with the truth.
Firstly, I was not s----ing myself when I met Les and Johnny Peard at the airport before Origin III. I walked up to both and shook their hands.
Peardy and I are old mates. He was my coach at Penrith in 1983 when the elbow incident occurred and he encouraged me to take legal action (something I'm sure Les isn't aware of).
Les shook my hand but refused to look me in the eye. I have seen Les about half a dozen times since the incident and he has refused to look at me or have a conversation with me.
I have been quite willing to have a chat but he is not interested, so I have decided not to waste my time any more.
Secondly, he apologised to me once, late in the first half when I was in the Queensland dressing room having a shower. My father was checking on my condition when Les walked into the room.
He had been sin-binned for yet another indiscretion and decided to venture into what he thought was a vacant Queensland room.
Les said something along the lines of, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to do that to you''. My father told him to piss off, and he left.
The thing that really annoys me about all this rubbish is that he thinks I am embarrassed by what happened. What planet are you living on, Les?
Not only did you break my jaw with an elbow to the head, in your second game back from a 12-month suspension you eye-gouged Billy Johnstone at Brookvale Oval and were suspended for a further 15 months.
Add to that a myriad of other suspensions and it is painfully clear that the person who should be embarrassed is you.
Not only have you embarrassed yourself and your family, Les,you are an embarrassment to rugby league. You changed the game forever with your despicable on-field behaviour.
I just hope that as you grow older you might have some regrets and admit that what you did on the field is not the way football is supposed to be played.
It's a tough game for tough men, but fortunately the thugs have been weeded out. And guess what, Les - the game is better for it.

0,,5567597,00.jpg

Ouch ... Darryl Brohman nurses a broken jaw after the infamous Origin incident.

0,,5567600,00.jpg

Ugly situation ... Les Boyd leaves the judiciary hearing with his

lawyer Tom Hughes after being hit with a 12-month suspension.

gregstar

Referee
brohman took the right course of action.

les boyd was a relic from a previous era. a thug & a cheap shot merchant. that particular act was as low as it can get.

for those of you who remember, brohman was one of only a handfull of genuine ball-playing forwards in an era of safety first. when you think of paul osborne's efforts for 20 minute's in the '94 gf, brohman in 1984 had a similar impact when he came on 5-10 minutes into the second half.

i have no doubts whatsoever that he would have played for australia in '83. i believe most forumers would be furious if their opportunity was stolen by such a blatant cat act such as the type boyd pulled.

white-line fever may exist, but that doesn't make it acceptable. if you're a trackhead on the field, you're a trackhead off it.

Latest posts