What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brad Fittler is overrated

Mr Saab

Referee
JJ said:
stupid - teh Brisbane comp was very tough.

Lewis was a freak - the greatest 5/8 ever...

No way would I have Lyons ahead of Fittler though - that's a joke

the NSW domain didnt rate the QLD comp as highy as their own.
Not denying Lewis was a freak. He would be in my team
Cliff Lyons wasa gun 5/8...i am not a manly supporter, but i recognise talent when i see it and he was more talented a 5/8 than Fittler

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
greentooth said:
Chippo Raiders said:
Tommy Smith said:
Oh and before one of the "anti-Freddy brigade" reply (im probably already too late) i want to point out that Johns, Lockyer and Daley are magnificent players. Certainly three of the greatest i've had the PLEASURE of watching. And regardless of how i rate Fittler besides these great players, one thing i certainly will never do is discredit them. Some of you should do the same. Just ebcause you think so and so is better than Freddy why the bloody hell does that mean you have to discredit him. Someone who's been playing for nearly longer than some of you have lived i bet. Just give him his dues as i do with Daley and co.

Tell me where I said Fittler was overrated. Never had, in fact I am more likely to defend someone saying he isn't. I always had the conception he was a burnt out player in the late 90's and prior to 2002, he would be hidden in games. The Roosters premiership coincided with Brad Fittlers retirement from rep Footy, that was the reason you became so "dominant" because he wasn't burnt out after origin. Now whether you agree or not is up to you.

And Fittlers GF performance was championship material, the best Rooster out there along with Peter Cusack. He was VERY dominant in the first half and did things at a very upbeat pace, it would rank as a top 5 club performance he has played. I rated Daley over Fittler because he handled week to week footy better and played a brand of football more suitable to pressure games, Bob Fulton said he was the best player to coach not the most skillful player he has seen, there is a difference, and for a time in the SL war Laurie Daley was snubbed and therefore could have been a factor. I DID NOT say overrated at all , you are showing a lack of actually reading the posts I make, I just thought Lockyer and Johns in Particular have done things as a whole that other players couldn't do

Johns for example has anyone you know of been able to Banana kick AND kick goals at 80% AND tackle with such venom AND captain Australia AND Dominate SOO "not as much as Wally but as much as any wearing blue"

Lockyer has an array too including Goalkicking play organisation, his hands must have done more work in attack than any other player in the comp 2004, he had players however who fell into the habit of expecting him to do things.

Goalkicking isn't a talent i would rate too highly when comparing players.

I agree but it just adds to the array.

I didn't highlight that in any way just showing the resume

JJ

Immortal
Charlie Saab said:
JJ said:
stupid - teh Brisbane comp was very tough.

Lewis was a freak - the greatest 5/8 ever...

No way would I have Lyons ahead of Fittler though - that's a joke

the NSW domain didnt rate the QLD comp as highy as their own.
Not denying Lewis was a freak. He would be in my team
Cliff Lyons wasa gun 5/8...i am not a manly supporter, but i recognise talent when i see it and he was more talented a 5/8 than Fittler

No NSW didn't - but that was part of their problem - the Qld teams were largely drawn from that comp, and dominated the early Origin years. Plus the combined Brisbane sides regularly did very well in pre-season comps...

Lyons was talented for sure - but was never the best Australian 5/8 - which Fittler clearly has been at one time or another.

Lyons was always behnd Lewis, Kenny, Lamb and then Daley and Fittler in the pecking order. He only played 5/8 in the tests on the Roo tour because Daley had a broken hand, and Fulton was the coach.

Lyons - fine player at club level, dismal at origin level (Origin style didn't suit his style), and had a good couple of tests at test level - not really in the elite though

strong_latte

Juniors
somebody should close this thread... it's just a shit stirrer thread that is trying to provoke people into argument.

JJ

Immortal
strong_latte said:
somebody should close this thread... it's just a sh*t stirrer thread that is trying to provoke people into argument.

maybe that was the original intent - but most of us now are debating the merits of great players - that's not a big deal

Mr Saab

Referee
JJ said:
Lyons was talented for sure - but was never the best Australian 5/8 - which Fittler clearly has been at one time or another.

Lyons was always behnd Lewis, Kenny, Lamb and then Daley and Fittler in the pecking order. He only played 5/8 in the tests on the Roo tour because Daley had a broken hand, and Fulton was the coach.

Lyons - fine player at club level, dismal at origin level (Origin style didn't suit his style), and had a good couple of tests at test level - not really in the elite though

I think Fittler too would have been behind Lewis, Kenny, and Daley...in fact Fittler WAS behind Daley. Fittler was used as a lock as they had no other place for him.

JJ

Immortal
Charlie Saab said:
JJ said:

I think Fittler too would have been behind Lewis, Kenny, and Daley...in fact Fittler WAS behind Daley. Fittler was used as a lock as they had no other place for him.

I said above - my #1 Lewis, #2 Kenny. I can't really split Daley and Fittler - depends on who's at half - in a way the same is true of Kenny - need a half like Sterling with him (like Stuart and Daley) - show's Sterling's greatness - would control games with Kenny at 5/8 so Kenny could do his thing, and then for Aust take a back seat in that regard to Lewis

Mr Saab

Referee
JJ said:
I said above - my #1 Lewis, #2 Kenny. I can't really split Daley and Fittler - depends on who's at half - in a way the same is true of Kenny - need a half like Sterling with him (like Stuart and Daley) - show's Sterling's greatness - would control games with Kenny at 5/8 so Kenny could do his thing, and then for Aust take a back seat in that regard to Lewis

For me :

Lewis (doesnt matter who was 7 as he was the dominant player)
Daley (with stuart at 7)
Kenny (with sterlo at 7)
big gap
Fittler :?

JJ

Immortal
Charlie Saab said:
JJ said:

For me :

Lewis (doesnt matter who was 7 as he was the dominant player)
Daley (with stuart at 7)
Kenny (with sterlo at 7)
big gap
Fittler :?

Well, We'll disagree on the rankings - but they're all great players, I'd be content with any of them

Shifty

Juniors
JJ said:

Lyons performed as good as any 5/8 at club level, but fell away dramatically at rep level. Much the same as Gower does.

Fittler managed to be a dominant player at Origin and International level, not to the standard of Lewis, Kenny, Daley, etc., but for most of his career failed to deliver at club level. It wasn't until he gave away rep footy to 'concentrate' on club football that he managed to consistently dominate at that level.

The great 5/8's like Lewis, Kenny and Daley managed to consistently dominate in all areas of the game. Fittler was good, but he doesn't compare with the best of them.

Mr Saab

Referee
Shifty said:
Lyons performed as good as any 5/8 at club level, but fell away dramatically at rep level. Much the same as Gower does.

Fittler managed to be a dominant player at Origin and International level, not to the standard of Lewis, Kenny, Daley, etc., but for most of his career failed to deliver at club level. It wasn't until he gave away rep footy to 'concentrate' on club football that he managed to consistently dominate at that level.

The great 5/8's like Lewis, Kenny and Daley managed to consistently dominate in all areas of the game. Fittler was good, but he doesn't compare with the best of them.

i would agree with that. However there was a stage in Daleys career where the canberra folk said he played much better at NSW level than he did an club level. That stigma lasted a couple of yrs, but then died away.

JJ

Immortal
Charlie Saab said:
Shifty said:

i would agree with that. However there was a stage in Daleys career where the canberra folk said he played much better at NSW level than he did an club level. That stigma lasted a couple of yrs, but then died away.

Not sure I agree entirely.... Daley was perhaps kept mentally fresher by the many injuries he had - which tended to affect his Canberra performances.

Lewis wasn't dominant in the Sydney comp (althou clearly I think he's the best).

So that leaves Kenny....

Mr Saab

Referee
JJ said:
Lewis wasn't dominant in the Sydney comp (althou clearly I think he's the best).

So that leaves Kenny....

since when does the NSW comp have to be the "be all and end all" when deciding players.
I thought the QLD comp was very strong!
Kenny was good, but Lewis is da man

Shifty

Juniors
Lewis was definitely the best IMO, Kenny second, although an injury-free Daley probably would have rated above Kenny.

Every time I met Daley throughout his career he was on crutches. It's pretty fitting that he's now involved with the Dragons.

JJ

Immortal
Charlie Saab said:
JJ said:

So that leaves Kenny....

since when does the NSW comp have to be the "be all and end all" when deciding players.
I thought the QLD comp was very strong!
Kenny was good, but Lewis is da man

I agree - Lewis is the greatest I have seen - but you were the one that suggested there were some that viewed the Brisbane comp as less than - I am merely pointing out that Wally didn't have a stellar career in the Sydney/NSW competition.

I have no doubt that Lewis is the best - but another interesting (and I am pretty sure correct) fact is that in the Lewis era, Kenny was the only NSW 5/8 to have a winning record in Origin. I'm also pretty sure that if you asked Wally, he'd still say that Kenny was the greatest 5/8 he ever played against.

Mr Saab

Referee
JJ said:
I agree - Lewis is the greatest I have seen - but you were the one that suggested there were some that viewed the Brisbane comp as less than - I am merely pointing out that Wally didn't have a stellar career in the Sydney/NSW competition.

I have no doubt that Lewis is the best - but another interesting (and I am pretty sure correct) fact is that in the Lewis era, Kenny was the only NSW 5/8 to have a winning record in Origin. I'm also pretty sure that if you asked Wally, he'd still say that Kenny was the greatest 5/8 he ever played against.

it wasnt my personal opinion re the qld/nsw comps. It was just percieved that way. I dont necessarily agree with it.
Lewis did say that Kenny was his greatest competitor...just like how A Johns says that Lockyer is the greatest player he has played against.

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
Charlie Saab said:
JJ said:

it wasnt my personal opinion re the qld/nsw comps. It was just percieved that way. I dont necessarily agree with it.
Lewis did say that Kenny was his greatest competitor...just like how A Johns says that Lockyer is the greatest player he has played against.

Gene Miles was an amazing centre and his career wasn't flash when he changed comps

Red Bear

Referee
Well i still think Freddy is the best I've seen and been able to have a good view of.
However Kenny was f**king incredibly good. From what i've seen of him he was better than daley and just unbelievable quick and brilliant agility and passing game, i woulda loved to see him at his peak with ten metres.

Latest posts