What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Braith Anasta to the Tigers?

_Johnsy

Referee
West Tigers, the hide of announcing it 24hrs before the Roosters game. Show some respect to the club he's leaving.

Slackboy72

Coach
West Tigers, the hide of announcing it 24hrs before the Roosters game. Show some respect to the club he's leaving.

i_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

ghostface

Juniors
One more reson to dislike Wests. I think he still has something to offer though and if he isn't on too much $$$ he could be a decent signing.

And are all the "t"s crossed and the "i"s dotted on the contract?
If its only a verbal release I'd be worried.
You've already seen a bit of karma re Cashmere.
Might be more to come.

Magpie Tragic

Juniors
IMO Anasta is a good 2 year buy for us, maybe not the type of player we "really" desperately need (front rower/half/fullback/speedy outside back etc etc etc) but nonetheless a good buy, never liked his continual bitching to refs but if he shows some off & on field leadership (which I believe we badly lack) then he gets my vote. We could do a lot worse, and usually do unfortunately

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Looks like he will be playing in the halves:

The move is likely to see Marshall shift from five-eighth to halfback next season, with Willett revealing the Tigers wanted Anasta to partner the New Zealand captain at the scrumbase.
"Braith will be playing in the halves with Benji," Willett said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/anasta-to-join-wests-tigers-20120330-1w2eq.html#ixzz1qYpVWmaH[/QUOTE

Oh good, we're going back to the Marshall at halfback for 2013. Now, tell me, how did that end up for WT last time Sheens tried and then persisted obstinately with that failed experiment? There goes 2013 boys and girls now too.

Damn it, I'm in favour of signing Anasta as a backrower as he brings a wealth of experience and a pretty good footy brain to the team. Certainly wont fill Ellis's shoes but I suppose that is what Blair is supposed to do.

Suspect there will be another clean out of the ranks end of season- safe to say all most of our existing halfback players (Moltzen, Miller & Chisholm) will go as their contracts are up, I think Heighington and Fulton encouraged to look elsewhere, Tuqiri goes and Utai probaly gone.

The only sure thing is Teflon will be there yet again....................

Bench
Looks like he will be playing in the halves:

The move is likely to see Marshall shift from five-eighth to halfback next season, with Willett revealing the Tigers wanted Anasta to partner the New Zealand captain at the scrumbase.
"Braith will be playing in the halves with Benji," Willett said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/anasta-to-join-wests-tigers-20120330-1w2eq.html#ixzz1qYpVWmaH[/QUOTE

Oh good, we're going back to the Marshall at halfback for 2013. Now, tell me, how did that end up for WT last time Sheens tried and then persisted obstinately with that failed experiment? There goes 2013 boys and girls now too.

Damn it, I'm in favour of signing Anasta as a backrower as he brings a wealth of experience and a pretty good footy brain to the team. Certainly wont fill Ellis's shoes but I suppose that is what Blair is supposed to do.

Suspect there will be another clean out of the ranks end of season- safe to say all most of our existing halfback players (Moltzen, Miller & Chisholm) will go as their contracts are up, I think Heighington and Fulton encouraged to look elsewhere, Tuqiri goes and Utai probaly gone.

The only sure thing is Teflon will be there yet again....................
Fly's in the face of this story,it says Anasta to replace Ellis,so to me that is in the backrow,hopefully at 13,that would be ideal for us.
http://www.nrl.com/tigers-sign-roosters-nrl-skipper-anasta/tabid/10874/newsid/66608/default.aspx

Tiger05

First Grade
I think it is a good signing. The issue will be the Sheenius. He could try converting Braith to wing to finally get us some pace out wide.

simmo1

First Grade
I reckon he's a better lock than five-eighth. However if he plays lock I don't think we can accomodate Anasta, Fulton and Heighington all in the forwards, otherwise forward pack will keep on dominating us.

Odd signing, but if he brings his good kicking game, I'll be happy.

dumpy

Juniors
I am with you magpies forever. Surely it is not being considered to put benji back to halfback again, a distinct dismal failure. It is plainly obvious to everyone, except coach Sheens apparently, that Benji is the best running five-eighth, just requires forwards going forward and half back directing team around and let him attack. It is not rocket science!

ghostface

Juniors
I am with you magpies forever. Surely it is not being considered to put benji back to halfback again, a distinct dismal failure. It is plainly obvious to everyone, except coach Sheens apparently, that Benji is the best running five-eighth, just requires forwards going forward and half back directing team around and let him attack. It is not rocket science!

Sheens is a myth.

Tiger05

First Grade
I reckon he's a better lock than five-eighth. However if he plays lock I don't think we can accomodate Anasta, Fulton and Heighington all in the forwards, otherwise forward pack will keep on dominating us.

He has to go to 6 and Benji to 7 or we have to release a bunch of players. I think Ayshford has to be viewed as a backrower as well.

I don't think we can have Heighington, Fulton, Ayshford and possibly Anasta if he is considered a backrower as smaller forwards. Ideally we should only have one of them - at the most two.

hutch

First Grade

I agree. I don't know what to make of it just yet, he could be valuable in the backrow and his kicking game is a major asset. Benji can't move to half tho, it is tried and failed.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I agree. I don't know what to make of it just yet, he could be valuable in the backrow and his kicking game is a major asset. Benji can't move to half tho, it is tried and failed.

Exactly right- this makes sense.

Sheens on the WT website says he says him more in the forwards so I'm somewhat reassured.

http://www.weststigers.com.au/defau...m-sheens-happy-with-what-braith-anasta-offers

Wests Tigers Head Coach Tim Sheens says Braith Anasta will bring a strong set of skills and leadership when he arrives at Concord in 2013.
Anasta today signed a two-year-deal with Wests Tigers and will join the Club upon finishing his commitments with the Sydney Roosters this season.
Sheens said there were a number of reasons why Wests Tigers looked at Anasta and was very pleased to have recruited the Sydney Roosters captain who has played for NSW and Australia.
“We liked his leadership abilities. It is like Petero Civoniceva going back to the Broncos at 35-years-of -age or Danny Buderus at Newcastle at 34,’’ Sheens told weststigers.com.au
“Braith is a great bloke on and off the field and is captain of a current NRL side. He has got that leadership and he will be part of a leadership group here so we need him to be strong.
“He is a quality person on and off the field. They are the first qualities we look for.
“As an athlete, he is 97 kilos so he is big enough. He can play in the halves in terms of a ball playing role and he can also play 13. He brings a very strong kicking game to the Club, something we need to improve on.
“In his 238 games, he has scored 83 tries, is an established goal-kicker and he can kick pressure field goals. We only have to remember the one he kicked against us in the finals two years ago. He brings that extra direction and leadership on the field I believe the team needs.
“He is of an age and on a contract where he won’t shut out our youth program. He can move if a young Curtis Sironen, Jacob Miller or any of these kids who come into the squad nail down one of the spots.”
Sheens said 30-year-old Anasta would form part of a strong leadership group.
“Robbie Farah is 28 and Benji is 27. I wanted that senior group. We have got a very young full-back and we have got some young forwards. We are losing Gareth Ellis and that is a loss to us in respect to extra leadership within the place,’’ Sheens added.
“You can’t continually just go young players all the time. You need to have a level of experience in a first grade side and that is something we lack sometimes because we do go too young to early.
“I’m not particularly looking to replace Benji in that (five-eighth) role but to have more skills in that area in the areas of kicking. He is a very good defender.
“Braith played second-row in the 2010 grand final. He has played a lot of positions and is very competitive and that’s what I like about him.
“Although Braith is in the twilight of his career, he hasn’t demanded a fortune and we are very happy with the deal. I believe he will bring more than value to this Club and to the team.
“I spoke to the senior players, in particular Robbie Farah and company, and they are very, very pleased to have him on board and they are ones who play against him.
“There are people in the public who say why do we go for a senior guy or why are we doing this. We have had good value out of some of the senior players we have bought in Scott Sattler and Mick Buettner.
“We are not talking about a player who is not currently producing. He is the first grade captain of the Roosters. I believe his competitiveness along with a change of environment, and with the strong group of players we have here, Braith will fit in really well.
“Braith will also bring a stabling influence in the side. All of these things will only add to make us a stronger team next year.”

Latest posts