What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Braith fits in Roosters cap???

Nuffy said:
The roster next year will include:

Harrison SOO
Anasta........assuming he signs SOO
Morley International
Cross Rep
Wing SOO / Aust
Mini SOO / Aust
Roberts Rep
Monas Rep
Finch
Topou
Fitzgibbon SOO / Aust
Flannery SOO

Have I missed any? Thats 7 current SOO reps in one team???????

And how many of those players do LU forum members rate? One? Two?

Kiwi

First Grade
Renowned League Expert said:
No longer wanted, my arse. We would have liked to have kept 90% of them.

Who have we signed over the last 5 years?

2001 - Morley
2002 - Mullins, Cayless, Robinson, Hodges
2003 - Finch, Catic, Payton, Walker (mid season)
2004 - Lester

Now balance that against the players we have lost.

Don't forget to add the likes of Kidwell, Monaghan, Roberts, Firman, Soward, Wing ( 2000 ), and Tupou.

Kiwi

First Grade
Here is the comparison

Left or Leaving

Payton
Barnett
Lam
Bonetti - Retired
Mullins - Retired
Widders
Sing
Cusack
Heggarty - Released
Solomona
Barnhill - Was he even still playing?????
Byrne
Andrew Walker
Fletcher
Fittler - Retired
Crocker
Green - Retired
Lomu
Hodges - Released
Grothe
Cayless
Webb
Ricketson - Retiring
Walker
Crocker
Firman - Released

Signed

Morley
Mullins
Cayless
Robinson
Hodges
Finch
Catic
Payton
Walker
Lester
Monaghan
Roberts
Firman
Anasta
Harrison
Kidwell
Soward
Tupou
Wing ( 2000 )
Grothe

I marked the retired because every club has them, I could list a fair few awesome players who have retired from the Broncos since 2000, thats part of league. I listed the released, because they were under contract, the roosters no longer wanted them, so released them.

When you consider a few are on both lists, those players kinda cancel themselves out. Apart from Fittler, the signed list looks ALOT better than the leaving list.

aussies1st

Staff member
Of course the signed list would look a lot better than the leaving list, for every player the roosters lose they find one that is at least 2 times better than the previous guy. Too bad they cant find one for fittler

ArmchairJudge

Juniors
You can't blame Anasta for being lured to the Roosters. Representitive coaches should not be able to coach at club level. How else could the roosters sign every good player that comes off contract every year. Anasta, Harrison, previous years Firman, Monaghan, Roberts, Hodges. Just to name a few. If this is not the reason why then the salary cap is not working.

dice

Juniors
ArmchairJudge said:
Representitive coaches should not be able to coach at club level. How else could the roosters sign every good player that comes off contract every year.

Yeah, players are queuing up to join the Knights as well.

aussies1st

Staff member
Monaghan definitely was one that wanted to more clubs so he could make rep footy. Hodges and Roberts were in good enough sides to make orgin though.
I dont think it would have made to much difference who NSW coach was as any player that plays for South wont get picked for rep footy anyway.

HoLLuS

Juniors
for so many experst around here, there is a hell of a lot of misinformation...

For starters Walker's contract was weighted heavily to his third year, which surprise surprise is this year, hence he'd free up a decent amount.

Firman was only released on the proviso that a team would pay out his contract at the roosters...well surprise surprsie but that's what the cowboys have done, therefore freeing up more.

Fittler was only re-signed on a one year deal that ended last year despite what some of you have said, therefore freeing up a decent amount for this years recruits.

Roberts took LESS money to play at the roosters because they offered him a LONGER contract ie 4 years.

Anasta, Monaghan and Harrison have all taken LESS money to play for the roosters in hope of rep careers. So to say we paid big for them is a joke.

Also look to see Cross go to union in 2007 as he hasm't developed a rep career in league and that was going to be a major factor in him staying.

ArmchairJudge

Juniors
Dice,
You just proved my point the players are not going to the Knights or the Rooster because of the Rep coaches, So how can the Roosters afford all these players. There is something fishy there! Morley could be earning au$800,000 a season in England and he probably on au$300,000 here. Do you think anyone would sacrifice 500,000 a season for better lifestyle.please...

m0j0

Bench
ArmchairJudge said:
Dice,
You just proved my point the players are not going to the Knights or the Rooster because of the Rep coaches, So how can the Roosters afford all these players. There is something fishy there! Morley could be earning au$800,000 a season in England and he probably on au$300,000 here. Do you think anyone would sacrifice 500,000 a season for better lifestyle.please...

I could easily earn twice what I'm on here if I was working in London. Obviously there's something fishy going on. I must be getting brown paper bag payments and free cars etc.

Fairfax

Juniors
http://www.roosters.com.au/latestnews.php?ArticleID=1358

The Sydney Roosters today announced the signing of NSW five-eighth Braith Anasta for three years, encompassing 2006, 2007 and 2008.
The Blues pivot played a leading role in NSW’s victory in the State Of Origin.

Anasta is confident his move to the Sydney Roosters will improve his football.

“My decision was based upon the opportunity to work under Roosters and State of Origin Coach Ricky Stuart and not based upon any financial considerations. I am looking forward to the new challenge in 2006," Anasta said.

Sydney Roosters CEO Brian Canavan believes Anasta's signing will be of great benefit to the club.

“Braith is a great addition to our playing roster, from his on field talent to his off field leadership, the club will benefit from his presence," he said.

Game_Breaker

Coach
HoLLuS said:
Anasta, Monaghan and Harrison have all taken LESS money to play for the roosters in hope of rep careers. So to say we paid big for them is a joke.

If that was true for Anasta then he wouldve re-signed with the Bulldogs

Lego_Man

First Grade
Vicious said:
Minichiello $300,000 minimum
Roberts $180,000 minimum
Soliola $80,000 will need an increase shortly
Cross $250,000 minimum
Monaghan $180,000 (Raiders offered $250,000)
Wing $300,000
Finch $180,000
Harrison $220,000 minimum (Souths offered $350,000)
Anasta $400,000 minimum (Souths offered $500,000)
Flannery $220,000 (Raiders offered $350,000)
Fitzgibbon $250,000 minimum
Morley $300,000 bare minimum
Tupou $120,000 bare minimum
Fa`aoso $100,000 bare minimum
Le`strange $70,000 bare minimum

That`s over the cap already and it`s only 15 players??? What a joke???

Good to see that you have such a great insight into the salaries of the Roosters players. Perhaps you should start writing your own column in the Telegraph?

Face it, you and the rest of us know f**k-all about how ANY team fills the salary cap. Leave that to the people who know what they're talking about - the NRL auditors.

And to those who were comparing recruitment and asking why their clubs weren't able to spend up like the Roosters and Manly - that's comparing apples with oranges. Different clubs have different structures to the contracts they offer players - for example a 300K deal over three years may not be 100K a year, it might be 80 in the first year, 100 in the second year, and 120 in the third year. Thus a team at the end of its "cycle" may find itself closer to the cap, even though it has much the same players as it started with.

I am finding it difficult to believe that my team the Warriors are not recruiting for next season...but that appears to be because of general recruitment policy rather than being on the edge of the cap. And as for Newcastle, we are well aware of their incompetence in signing players on grossly inflated salaries - apparently Carmont is on something close to 150K, just as an example.

Lego_Man

First Grade
m0j0 said:
I could easily earn twice what I'm on here if I was working in London. Obviously there's something fishy going on. I must be getting brown paper bag payments and free cars etc.

:lol:

Razor

Coach
KFC said:
Put a dollar value on this team:

1. Chris Walker
2. Jermain Ale
3. Shannon Hegarty
4. Justin Hodges
5. Todd Byrne
6. Brad Fittler
7. Brett Firman
8. Jason Cayless
9. Stuart Webb
10. Peter Cusack
11. Michael Crocker
12. Chad Robinson
13. Luke Ricketson

All these players have left the Roosters in the 04, 05 season.

That side will make the 8.

Just jealous fans from other clubs

Razor

Coach
There is something fishy there! Morley could be earning au$800,000 a season in England and he probably on au$300,000 here. Do you think anyone would sacrifice 500,000 a season for better lifestyle.please...

Yes

Many leading people here earning $100-$150k a year could earn over $500k a year working in the likes of PNG, Columbia, Iraq, etc. But most choose not to. They take lifestyle over money.

Heck teachers here get around $30k a year. Teachers at the Australian International School in PNG get paid over $100k a year.

People take less (sometimes substantially) to live where they want to as long as they're getting paid enough to live.

Morely is only on $250k here (reportedly)

You might think money means everything. But most people think lifestyle is the most important facet of life.

Vicious

Bench
The poor old Roosters. Even though they just signed two of the hottest properties in the game, they still lack a genuine game breaking half back and they are also going to lack plenty of size in the front row in `2006.What a shame???
But hey, there`s still time to sign Orford and Ross???