What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brandon Smith

Valheru

Coach
A lot of jumping the gun in this thread.

He was issued with a breach notice for missing a meeting and subsequently will miss a game.

How it goes from here is really up to Brandon. I would say though that his form this year has been fine, certainly better than last year and he features regularly in the 3 2 1s on the roosters sub forum.

Canard

Immortal

He was issued with a breach notice for missing a meeting and subsequently will miss a game.

How it goes from here is really up to Brandon. I would say though that his form this year has been fine, certainly better than last year and he features regularly in the 3 2 1s on the roosters sub forum.
Is "fine" good enough, for a player of his salary who was once considered to be a "marquee" signing?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

AFB got dropped for breaching club standards after a sub par game a few weeks back. Came back, smashed out 200m in the middle and scored a try. Sometimes a rocket up the arse works.

Valheru

Coach
Is "fine" good enough, for a player of his salary who was once considered to be a "marquee" signing?
Fair question

I've seen some real good stuff from him this season and also some average.

I'm not sure he is a 90 minute hooker. Whether that means you utilise him off the bench or look at a position change, I'm not sure.

Canard

Immortal
Fair question

I've seen some real good stuff from him this season and also some average.

I'm not sure he is a 90 minute hooker. Whether that means you utilise him off the bench or look at a position change, I'm not sure.
The Roosters are a lot of things, but I've never seen them as a club that accepts mediocre.

moffla

Bench
I know his general laid back behaviour can turn people off, but I think his personality is great for the game. He just can’t seem to find a balance between having fun and being a professional however.

I know that missing a meeting isn’t a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it’s pretty unprofessional - the Roosters rightly have very high expectations.

The way he left the Storm was a bit of a red flag. His overall attitude towards the people who pay his wage was lacking, particularly as it was not long after he got caught dancing in the snow.

Canard

Immortal
I know his general laid back behaviour can turn people off, but I think his personality is great for the game. He just can’t seem to find a balance between having fun and being a professional however.

I know that missing a meeting isn’t a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it’s pretty unprofessional - the Roosters rightly have very high expectations.

The way he left the Storm was a bit of a red flag. His overall attitude towards the people who pay his wage was lacking, particularly as it was not long after he got caught dancing in the snow.
The "not having my phone on me" excuse seems hard to believe.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Roosters handed this guy a breach notice when they realised that "Cheese" was actually French word for bald

Fangs

Coach
His form has been better this year. Still not at his wage though.

They are in contention for the top 4 so they will see out the year then assess if a trade is possible (Or even necessary, he might be a very important player for the Roosters by years end).

His form has been better this year. Still not at his wage though.

They are in contention for the top 4 so they will see out the year then assess if a trade is possible (Or even necessary, he might be a very important player for the Roosters by years end).

I don't get why everyone including the 9 commentary team are saying his form has been good, statistically he rates well behind alot of them.

Overall Stats

Try Assists - 1
LB Assists - 1
LB's - 2
Avg Tackles - 28
Avg Missed Tackles - 3
Avg Run Metres - 60m

Nothing Special at all.

Compare that to someone probably on half Smith's wage

Marshall King

Try Assists - 6
LB Assists - 7
LB's - 4
Avg Tackles - 41
Avg Missed Tackles - 3.5
Avg Run Metres - 51m

Fangs

Coach
I don't get why everyone including the 9 commentary team are saying his form has been good, statistically he rates well behind alot of them.

Overall Stats

Try Assists - 1
LB Assists - 1
LB's - 2
Avg Tackles - 28
Avg Missed Tackles - 3
Avg Run Metres - 60m

Nothing Special at all.

Compare that to someone probably on half Smith's wage

Marshall King

Try Assists - 6
LB Assists - 7
LB's - 4
Avg Tackles - 41
Avg Missed Tackles - 3.5
Avg Run Metres - 51m

I haven't looked at his numbers to be fair, just the eye test. He appears to be playing better than in 2023. Again he isn't playing at the level required for a player on his pay packet and I don't think anyone is disputing that.

He is an unusual player. Nothing like JMK. Those two would have a big difference in minutes played this season as Smith doesn't play 80.

Isn't he meant to be a attacking 9? Statistically behind every starting hooker but for the Knights 9 Brailey who has 0 Try Assists and 0 LB Assists.

Try Assists and (LB Assists)

Mahoney - 10 (5)
JMK - 6 (7)
Egan - 4 (7)
Robson - 4 (5)
Koroisau - 4 (4)
Grant - 3 (4)
B Brailey - 3 (2)
Kenny - 3 (2)
Cook - 3 (1)
Walters - 3 (1)
Liddle - 2 (2)
Lussick - 2 (2)
Randall - 2 (2)
Croker - 1 (1)
Levi - 1 (1)
Smith - 1 (1)
J Brailey - 0 (0)

Fangs

Coach
Isn't he meant to be a attacking 9? Statistically behind every starting hooker but for the Knights 9 Brailey who has 0 Try Assists and 0 LB Assists.

Try Assists and (LB Assists)

Mahoney - 10 (5)
JMK - 6 (7)
Egan - 4 (7)
Robson - 4 (5)
Koroisau - 4 (4)
Grant - 3 (4)
B Brailey - 3 (2)
Kenny - 3 (2)
Cook - 3 (1)
Walters - 3 (1)
Liddle - 2 (2)
Lussick - 2 (2)
Randall - 2 (2)
Croker - 1 (1)
Levi - 1 (1)
Smith - 1 (1)
J Brailey - 0 (0)

I had a look at that just now. He usually makes 1-2 try assists as year. 2021 was his golden year in this category and that was an odd year for a number of reasons:

If I'm looking at other stats then his run metres and tackle breaks rate higher on the list for hookers in 2024. His minutes much lower than those above him (Connor Watson plays a bit of 9 and they actually share some similarities in this area):

Chimp

Bench
By your logic, my club tried to push Latrell Mitchell and Joseph Manu out of the club when they were dropped to NSW Cup? I love how for some people a + b = Apple
Not quite the same circumstances, particularly as both were early in their careers and not marquee signings. Did they also breach notice them? If so, did the breach notice make it into the media?
That was the Roosters trying to teach some standards to a couple of young blokes (that ultimately failed with Mitchell) - Smith shouldn’t need that same approach at 28 years old and as a marquee signing.
This is the Roosters lining up the ducks

betcats

Referee
He’s just not 850k per year player. Maybe he could be if he got super fit I’m not sure, I’ve always thought he looked most dangerous tacking hit ups not playing out of hooker.

I reckon he’s a really good short stint player. Can really impact games in that role.

He might get through 60 mins as a starting 9 but he’s well and truly gassed after 15-20 hard minutes and he’s just hanging on not impacting games much.