What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Breach tops a million

caylo

Bench
for them to get under the cap for 2011 they will need to shed a fair few players. They will now loss atleast 2 of Smith, Inglus, Cronk and Slater and with slater off contract I assume he is gone for 2011. On top of that they will probably loss 2 of Hoffman, Lima, Tolman or White.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The NRL footy show has tried saying there's a potential relenting from the NRL in regards to the cap - sounds like they've been sold a dummy.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
It's being reported that up to 12 of the Strom's top 25 are on 100k or less. If true that leaves 1.3mil for 13 players, throwing in the minimum 55k for players who replace those ones who leave and that's going to leave the Storm with over 1.5mil of talent to shed.

If it's not at least 2 of the big four then they'll be saying goodbye to Lima, Hoffman, Blair, Manu, White, Finch, Quinn, Tolman. Storm need to weigh up what's more important, 3 stars and nothing else, or two stars with some balance and support around them.

Godz Illa

Coach
Cmon mate, compare rosters at the time and the Dragons were a far better side on paper.
It's all subjective of course.. but Melbourne did have 13 current or former rep players (excluding future rep players Turner and Cronk) to the Dragons 8. And if they Dragons had cheated they may have been able to keep Lance Thompson, Ennis and Kite...

1. Clint GREENSHIELDS
2. Wes NAIQAMA
3. Mark GASNIER
4. Matt COOPER
5. Brett MORRIS
6. Trent BARRETT (c)
7. Ben HORNBY
8. Luke BAILEY
9. Aaron GORRELL
10. Jason RYLES
11. Matt BICKERSTAFF
12. Ashton SIMS
13. Shaun TIMMINS

14. Danny WICKS
15. Justin POORE
16. Ben CREAGH
17. Mathew HEAD
18. Daryl MILLARD
19. Michael HENDERSON
20. Sam ISEMONGER

Melbourne

Billy Slater
Matt Geyer
Matt King
Greg Inglis
Steve Turner
Scott Hill
Cooper Cronk
Antonio Kaufusi
Cameron Smith
Brett White
David Kidwell
Ryan Hoffman
Dallas Johnson.

Interchange: Garret Crossman, Michael Crocker, Ben Cross, Nathan Friend, Jake Webster, Jeremy Smith, Adam Blair (three to be omitted).

stormbati

Bench
It's being reported that up to 12 of the Strom's top 25 are on 100k or less. If true that leaves 1.3mil for 13 players, throwing in the minimum 55k for players who replace those ones who leave and that's going to leave the Storm with over 1.5mil of talent to shed.

If it's not at least 2 of the big four then they'll be saying goodbye to Lima, Hoffman, Blair, Manu, White, Finch, Quinn, Tolman. Storm need to weigh up what's more important, 3 stars and nothing else, or two stars with some balance and support around them.
I don't understand your post. So that would end up 12x100,000 is 1.2 mill, + 1.3 mill is 2.5 mill.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I don't understand your post. So that would end up 12x100,000 is 1.2 mill, + 1.3 mill is 2.5 mill.

That's what happens when you type fast and don't re-read.

I'll clarify. The 12 players who are on 100k or less won't do anything to reduce the Storm's debt so the majority of the 1.3mil they're reportedly over the cap will have to be cut from the other 13 players in the squad and on top of that they have to get a few 55k replacements to maintain 25 players.

El Diablo

Post Whore
I ackowledge the message and the comment but do not understand why the other 14 clubs at the meeting, the NRL, the media (if they were allowed in) have not mentioned it. Why didnt NRL on FOX or the print media run with it. I do not deny the cheating, the depth or the width of it, just want accuracy in the reporting.

i hope this second source makes you happy or will you still be in denial? http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-look-at-storm-provisions-20100506-ugzr.html

Special salary cap provisions are being considered to ensure the $1.3 million of playing talent Melbourne must shed next season stays in the NRL by joining rival clubs.

chrisD

Coach
Having to shed 1.3M of talent next year does not mean they are over the cap by 1.3M this year. Can't someone just put the question straight to Gallop?

Having to shed 1.3M of talent next year does not mean they are over the cap by 1.3M this year. Can't someone just put the question straight to Gallop?
i heard they are over by 400,000 this year im not sure if that includes the latest 180,000 they just uncovered though

Eels Dude

Coach
i heard they are over by 400,000 this year im not sure if that includes the latest 180,000 they just uncovered though

I believe they were initially projected to be 700k over for this season, but that has now risen to close to a million. The 400k you're referring to is how much of the secret payments had already been paid to players at the time the breach was discovered.

Latest posts