What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Breakfast with John Grant

Perth Red

Post Whore
178962_433114643418169_1760134031_n.jpg

Got invited to the WARL breakfast this morning were John Grant gave a presentation on the strategy and fielded questions from the audience. He got hammered re expansion!

Here's my take on his answers:

Q. Why still no expansion?
A. When the commision took over the previous regime had done nothing of any substance about expansion. There was no vision, no strategy, no criteria and basically nothing that you could base a decision on.

Q. Have bids been falsely led to believe expansion was going to happen?
A. Yes, the previous regime had no idea of when or where or even if, the bids should not have been encouraged to spend $'s and time.

Q. (from WA govt rep!) We are building a quality rectangular stadium and investing in the code, when will we see an NRL team in Perth?
A. Perth is a key market for the game, we will bring 3 games a year, we will work closer with the WARL to grow the game and we will keep the supporters of the game in WA engaged

Q. You talk about a grass roots up approach but AFL have taken a big club down approach with success, why don't you do the same in perth to help grow the game?
A. We don't have the money AFL has! There are different ways to achieve the same goal

Q. Why are you not announcing what you are going to do to grow the game in WA?
A. It is very early in how we will implement the strategy. I have spent the last 3 days with the WARL and bid team learning about the game here and talking to them about an achievable WA strategy with key goals that allign with ours. there will be money for development, $200million and it is up to the WARL board to work with us to develop the game here

Q. If you are waiting two years to start looking at expansion does that mean it will be 5 years before we get a team on the pitch?
A. not necessarily, we could run a bid process alongside the review process. We are looking at possible expansion in the mid term not the long term.

Q. Given there are a number of developed bids why don't you just choose what areas you want to see a team in? Will you pick two areas and call for bids or have an open sweep stake of bids?
A. We need to do due dilligence on where is sustainable, where offers most value to the game and the reaching of our strategic goals and who can get an income of $20mill a year. I have talked to all the bids and some are hot air whilst others are very legitimate and developed.

Q. Should unsustainable clubs be forced to merge or relocate?
A. All clubs are important and we believe we can support them all to be sustainable within 2 years. However if clubs agreed to it then the ARLC would be very supportive.

Q. Was the expansion decision made by Gygnell, he seemed to be in control at the press conference
A. (Grant answered somewhat uncomfortably I have to say!) We could not get any more money out of our TV partners for an extra game. In hindsight if we had offered them an extra game for $10-15mill a year they may have taken the offer.

The questions where very well worded by the audience (most came from RL fans from the Perth ABC!) and a couple of times Grant was squirming. What was clear to me was that Gallop/previous NRL had done nothing of any substance about expansion and the commision expected to see a great deal of research and assessment done but found nothing. Was also clear that they will choose where expansion will be and not go to open tender for bids. Grant hinted that the WARL should look to set its next goal on the journey to an NRL team which reading between the lines sounded like possible NSW cup team for the Pirates. He mentioned a number of times that any succesful bid would have to show how it would be sustainable in the long term and have a very sound business case. He also stated that he shares my dislike of the term "affiliated" states and would make sure it was no longer used. Every state governing body would be equally respected. I also got the sense that the ARLC would be expecting each State governing body to be developing operational plans for the strategy and solid plans would be well resourced.

He mentioned that he was very impressed with what he had seen of the WARL, felt we were on a very solid footing, intimated there would be a much closer working realtion between the WARL and ARLC and that they saw WA as a key market for the game to grow in.

No groundbreaking news unfortunately but I left very positive that we could see a NRL team in Perth by 2016/17 and in the mean time we would see more NRL games and better grass roots funding.

paulmac

Juniors
At least it looks like expansion will occur,which is something.I was dreading the thought of getting to 2014 and the ARLC response was no thanks we will stick with 16 teams.I wonder which bids were a lot of hot air in regards to the 20m figure.

Expansion

Juniors
At least it looks like expansion will occur,which is something.I was dreading the thought of getting to 2014 and the ARLC response was no thanks we will stick with 16 teams.I wonder which bids were a lot of hot air in regards to the 20m figure.

Brisbane Bombers & PNG & possibly one other.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I am very surprised that Gallop did no research in to expansion.

I would bet everything I have that the Bombers are one of the bid teams that are all hot air.

Prometheus

Juniors
WA and the Central Coast are the only bids I would be confident of believing were not one of the bids full of hot air.

Diesel

Referee
Some positive news when they talk about mid and not long term that there will be a team in WA

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Thanks for that great read !!

I really hope Wa is the first side admitted. Good to see they are taking a slow approach would prefer a solid junior/fan base first - this ensures long term success.

Can't really blame gallop for his lack of research/vision - I think he was really restricted with what he could do because of news ltd involvement.

GAZF

First Grade
Positive news PR. Grant sounds pretty honest with his answers, in retrospect it was a wise decision to not jump into expansion given the lack of thought put in on the NRL's behalf prior.

WA and the Central Coast are the only bids I would be confident of believing were not one of the bids full of hot air.

The more I hear of CQ's engagement in grassroots, the more I see them as serious. Whether or not the bid is viable to the ARLC is another thing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It was clear from what he said that they inherited an absolute basket case of an organisation with very little corporate governance in place. The first months have been sorting out the mess and getting structures in place. A big amount of the time has been spent on getting the RL develoment officer programme brought together under one banner and with one point of coordination, something like 500 development officers are now managed out of a central point.

Whilst I still think they don't have to take two years to decide on where expansion will happen it is clear that they have their hands full for quite some time getting the game right at all levels so I can see why expansion is down the priority list.

The plus side for us in WA is that John Grant has substantial business interests in Perth and is frequently in town so we have a good opportunity for regular communication.

The Great Dane

First Grade
It was clear from what he said that they inherited an absolute basket case of an organisation with very little corporate governance in place. The first months have been sorting out the mess and getting structures in place. A big amount of the time has been spent on getting the RL develoment officer programme brought together under one banner and with one point of coordination, something like 500 development officers are now managed out of a central point.

Whilst I still think they don't have to take two years to decide on where expansion will happen it is clear that they have their hands full for quite some time getting the game right at all levels so I can see why expansion is down the priority list.

The plus side for us in WA is that John Grant has substantial business interests in Perth and is frequently in town so we have a good opportunity for regular communication.

Which explains a lot. Like why they have been quiet on so many issues, they've had to completely reorganize the whole organisation from the sounds of it.

Last edited:

CQ Italia

Juniors
Thanks for the insight, certainly a confidence boost and gives a good understanding. I imagine WC Pirates, CC Bears and CQ NRL Bid are all automatics for fully developed bids

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
A couple of VERY interesting answers to questions here..

Q. Have bids been falsely led to believe expansion was going to happen?
A. Yes, the previous regime had no idea of when or where or even if, the bids should not have been encouraged to spend $'s and time.

After the initial shock at reading this answer, it makes sense in hindsight that no work had been done on expansion.

The Gallop administration was really all about stabilizing the game after the immense damage of the Superleague war.

Given that they didn't do much work on expansion, does this cast doubt on their decision to choose the Titans over the Bears in 2005?

In hindsight maybe it was the wrong decision - if the Bears had been chosen in 2005, Perth and a 3rd Queensland-based team would be a no-brainer as the next step. The only question mark being WHERE in Queensland to base one of those teams.

The more I think about it, maybe the only reason they added one team was to avoid a weekly bye? If Souths hadn't won their court case, we could still have a 14-team comp!

Q. You talk about a grass roots up approach but AFL have taken a big club down approach with success, why don't you do the same in perth to help grow the game?
A. We don't have the money AFL has! There are different ways to achieve the same goal

Yep, smart move - grow the base of the game, and in the long-run it mitigates concerns about player depth when we expand the top tier.

Q. Should unsustainable clubs be forced to merge or relocate?
A. All clubs are important and we believe we can support them all to be sustainable within 2 years. However if clubs agreed to it then the ARLC would be very supportive.

THIS is a marked change from the previous administration's line. If I recall correctly, Gallop often said he wasn't interested in any more mergers or relocating teams.

However the new line appears to be "We'll provide baseline funding to clubs - and more if they meet certain criteria, but if they can't meet targets, AND find it tough surviving then we are open to mergers or relocations to keep their club represented - and we'll work to find a mutually beneficial solution."

I don't think that includes the NRL propping up unviable teams to stay where they are.

Q. Was the expansion decision made by Gygnell, he seemed to be in control at the press conference
A. (Grant answered somewhat uncomfortably I have to say!) We could not get any more money out of our TV partners for an extra game. In hindsight if we had offered them an extra game for $10-15mill a year they may have taken the offer.

Laying the blame for delayed expansion on the TV networks is only half the story. I can understand them not wanting to open their wallets up much more for an extra game, given they they raised the price for 8 games as it is.

However I think Grant would probably be relieved that this has bought the Commission some time to identify & implement development plans with expansion areas, BEFORE going to the step of actually calling for bid documents.

CQ Italia

Juniors
The only way to have successful expansion is from the bottom - up. Just need to look at rugby league expansion overseas (i.e. Wales in the ESL, etc) and even the Aleague (having bids that have existed for a short period of time), whereas expansion like Catalans Dragons had pre-existing support, good financial backing and decent grassroots, just steadily need stick with it and these juniors will come through stronger.
AFL successful expansion, certinaly remains to be seen! Throwing a truckload of money at it so far. The Gold Coast I believe have went down in crowds a lot

Perth Red

Post Whore
That is fine in a heartland area like Sth of France but in non heartland areas you need both imo. It is a losing battle trying to get the game in the media, in schools, kids wanting to emulate their stars etc if there is no team to take the kids to every other week and make the passionate about. RU in WA have more than doubled their jnr numbers since the Force joined S15. I agree that you can't just do the top down, look at the ltd growth of the game in Victoria as an example, but you can't just do the bottom up either when you are competing against codes that have a major presence through prof teams in the city. The right way is to do both. Grow the grassroots and the schools and jnrs and at the same time, when the time is right, bring in a NRL team to boost the games profile enormously.