Breakout year?

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by Forbes Creek Dragons, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Frank Facer

Frank Facer First Grade

2. nontime111

nontime111 Juniors

hes got an offload the he needs to use more, I like his defence and motor, everyteam needs a few of these guys

3. SAP58

SAP58 Juniors

IMO Lawrie will be one player that will benefit from Trent Merrin returning. I hope TM takes him under his wing and mentors him, they are a similar build and he could develop well with TM’s assistance.

nontime111 likes this.
  4. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

I thought that's what James Graham was supposed to do for Lawrie?
    I think that Lawrie is a bit 1 dimensional but the game plan is also 1 dimensional so if players follow it, little wonder why we scratch our heads wondering or in fact start questioning their actual ability.

denis preston and BLM01 like this.
  5. BLM01

BLM01 Bench

Dont shoot the player...shoot the coach. lawrie has the skill set, physique, leg drive and motor to be a top prop

6. BrissyRedV

BrissyRedV Bench

Breakout year? Leilua for sure. He will carve up under McGuire.

For us, there could be several players once/if McGregor is sacked. I expect Lomax, Sailor and possibly Rava to breakout. I also expect Lafai to improve once/if McGregor goes.

7. Old Timer

Old Timer Coach

What makes you think I'm shooting the player?
    I am simply pointing out that of Merrin is supposedly going to help Lawrie then what did or will James Graham do?
    People always putting spin around what bringing some players to our club will do for others already at the club but I see no improvement in other forwards as a result of Graham nor will I expect any improvement in other forwards as a result of Merrin.
    As I stated previously if the game plan is 1 dimensional then have no expectations as it is the limiting factor.
    The 1 thing that Merrin may create is opportunity for some of the backs that take the opportunity to be backing up but of course our best opportunist Dufty is out of favour so just maybe Lomax at centre and Sailor at the back might give us some prospects.

8. BLM01

BLM01 Bench

You right it is the game plan by Mary...there is lot people like Graham do behind the scenes with their development with experience which necessarily does not manifest itself staright away on the field (they cant play for them) but thats Mary's flat attack style.
    But you are right they do talk all this crap about justifying a player signing but that is our media, coach and somtimes recruitment...I dont blame the players.
    All I was justifying that soon as I saw Lawrie and they way he runs, plays etc and motor...he has the potential to be a very good prop, he is still young in prop speak

9. Frank Facer

Frank Facer First Grade

He lacks size for a prop. He is too one dimensional and is often quite ineffective. I don't see him as part of our long term future. Hope he proves me wrong.

slippery5 and possm like this.
  10. Overseas dragon

Overseas dragon Juniors

Really and I thought it was you agent orange, who everyone was sick of

BLM01 and Old Timer like this.
  11. BLM01

BLM01 Bench

I detect your not a fan

12. redandwhite4evr

redandwhite4evr Juniors

The pressure is on Vlandys to reduce the wrestle, speed up the play the ball and move the game towards one based on fatigue and skill- such as an offload in traffic. That means decreasing the number of allowable interchanges. As the interchanges drop, those players with the biggest motors and best skills will come into their own. Lawrie definitely has a big motor- now he has to acquire the skill as well - or face future irrelevance.

On the other hand, Leilua has the skill- now Madge will have to work on his motor- good luck!

13. Dennis Papaioannou

Dennis Papaioannou Bench

I always thought Lawrie was a ball playing prop.
    All he served up last hear was bash and barge.
    Off loads rarely seen but obviously under instructions.
    I feel he has a lot more to offer if given the chance.

BLM01 likes this.