What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bred Not Bought, Inside Canterbury's Halves Academy

Wb1234

Referee
Let me preface this by saying that no one bags the club more than me. However the wests thing is the biggest myth in rugby league. Even with the Greater MacArthur area the numbers are still nowhere near a Penrith or Parra, they were published a couple of years back and they were smaller than the Sutherland Shire League.

Once the wests comp reaches u15s they have to join with Canterbury just to make a comp. Penrith for instance have 4 divisions in u15s. How the hell can you compare to that?!?

You do know that the COE was built and paid for by the Canada Bay Council? We couldnt pick and choose where it was put. No club has $75m to spend on a training centre.

FWIW I have no issue with the club choosing to base itself in Campbelltown, however the council also have to play their part. The council charges the club more to play at the ground more then any other ground in the game. They need to sell approx 15,000 tickets to break even in a ground that only holds about 20k. If they proposed a COE I have zero doubt the club would have moved there.

The 'letting good players go' is also now a bit of a myth, we havent let a single player go since 2017 who would have improved the team.
Nope

most of the money (64 million) came from the state govt.

it’s the tigers who want to be based at concord

Also noticed this

MugaB

Coach
This is the true halves academy.

Send halves to us and we will turn them into NRL players. Sean O'Sullivan and Jack Cogger improved massively. Brad Schneider looks like the next player on that list.

To a lesser extent you could include Matt Burton too. Though he hasn't really kicked on as a half. Ivan nailed it in throwing him at left centre.
Dont forget Isaiah Katoa too, Matty moylan, Wade Graham all local halves went on to be proven 1st graders, of course there is plenty who don't,
but if you dont try.....

Iamback

Coach
Nope

Also noticed this

I thought it was from the Government, Could of incorporated a stand, Corporate facilities into Campbelltown with it.

Far better outcome for the game

Wb1234

Referee
I thought it was from the Government, Could of incorporated a stand, Corporate facilities into Campbelltown with it.

Tigers have zero interest In Campbelltown

I hope the dogs get Liverpool and push the tigers out for neglecting a massive growing area

Vic Mackey

Referee
Nope

Also noticed this

Gov/Council, my point is that the tigers didn’t build the COE there. Governments build where they think will help them get votes. It has nothing to do with the tigers/rugby league

Wb1234

Referee
Gov/Council, my point is that the tigers didn’t build the COE there. Governments build where they think will help them get votes. It has nothing to do with the tigers/rugby league
It was built where the tigers train

not a coincidence

of course clubs have a say in the location they find the location the put a proposal to govt

Vic Mackey

Referee
It was built where the tigers train

not a coincidence

of course clubs have a say in the location they find the location the put a proposal to govt

If the tigers had that much influence with the government then why haven’t they got the Balmain leagues site approved or Leichhardt/Campbelltown renovated?

10$ Ferret

Staff member
The single one thing that will help the halves academy would be to keep gould as far away from it as possible.
Under his grand plans at Penrith the junior reps stopped making the semis and nothing got better until he was punted and more appropriate plans were put into place