What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett Dallas

Ben

Bench
Brett Dallas, who has spent six years at Wigan, is returning to Australia at the end of the season, with Newcastle Knights showing interest.
http://http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/sport/2006/07/11/slquin11.xml
Well what do you think. I knew that the club would be targetting someone in England since Smith is over there. But is this the right guy? Well we do need a winger. He has tremendous speed, i dont know now because he has to be around 31-32, and knows how to get to the try-line. I'm sure he has been top tryscorer at Wigan for a number of years. He is not a centre so if we do sign him we could hopefully keep Gidley and then we can form a partnership between the two. And we know that he can play in Australia because he has made the Queensland team and i'm pretty sure he has played for Australia in the World Cup of 1995 with a good rate of scoring tries. I think he has scored around 10 tries for Australia with around 5 appearances. The only let-down is that he is quite injury prone. So what do you guys think?

antonius

Coach
Nobody will be forming a partnership with Gidley next year in Newcastle, He'll be in England.

He'd be a good replacement for Carney. His age doesn;t strike me as a problem, because we really only need a short-term replacement. In two years tops, Uate will be ready and he'll be playing first grade.

My only issue is the question of whether or not he can still hack the pace of the NRL. Look at Albert... he's not exactly setting the world on fire at the Sharks and Dallas has been gone a lot longer than Alby was...

Parki

Bench
brett dallas?

jesus christ the guy would have to be about 100 by now surely

lets go throw a contract at ashley gordon too while were at it

in case you couldnt tell, im not a fan of the idea

Ben

Bench
antonius said:
Nobody will be forming a partnership with Gidley next year in Newcastle, He'll be in England.
If we don't sign a centre he will most likely stay. So i'm staying hopeful.

antonius

Coach
Ben said:
If we don't sign a centre he will most likely stay. So i'm staying hopeful.
I think it's already a done deal, don't count on him being here. They will consider Doogs a good replacement.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Eh, Dallas hasn't exactly been setting England afire in the last year or so. Before that, sure, he was a gun - but his best years are well behind him now. I'd rather Albert.

Stuzmeister

Juniors
Yeah if we were thinking about doing this half a decade ago maybe, but now I don't think so. The Knights would just be like a life support machine for his career. Let's either pull the plug or leave him in the old people's home in England.

Burwood

Bench
Do we really want someone with Gingervitis at the Knights? (Sean Rudder was bad enough:roll:)

What ever happened to Blacklock coming back to Australia? He is getting released by Hull next season and would be someone who I think would have a lot to still offer in the NRL.

Burwood

Bench
Sir Knight82 said:
His even older then Dallas.

He's younger.

Blacklock seems like a player who has more to his game than sheer pace. Dallas comes across as an lesser, albeit faster, version of Carney.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
How about we don't buy any wingers and use tighe and salkeld? Hey that's an idea! Yeah, lets just do that. Why do we have to waste money on has-beens who abandoned the Aussie game for money. Give the younger kids a go.

Burwood

Bench
KniGhTs BaTTLeR said:
How about we don't buy any wingers and use tighe and salkeld? Hey that's an idea! Yeah, lets just do that. Why do we have to waste money on has-beens who abandoned the Aussie game for money. Give the younger kids a go.

That's all well and good until we get a couple of injuries/suspensions. Then we'll have young guys who aren't ready playing in first grade and getting smashed each week. We need to buy new players so that we don't have a problem with depth next year- we can't just replace from within the club.

Roy

Juniors
he would be good for 2 years just like doogs that when the likes of cooper uate will be ripe for first grade imo good news

Satsok

Juniors
brett dallas is a no talent bum, if you guys are into signing 80 year old players, why dont you lure noa nandruku out of retirement?

Burwood

Bench
Satsok said:
brett dallas is a no talent bum, if you guys are into signing 80 year old players, why dont you lure noa nandruku out of retirement?

How's Russell's retirement village going for next year?