What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett Stewart found not guilty of sexual assault

BM-dog

Juniors
After Coffs Harbour 2004, you'd think Dogs fans would STFU about this.
That was more than six years ago and barely anyone from that squad remains at the club so I don't see why we're still being asked to answer for it. (Not to mention that no one was ever charged with any offence, let alone convicted)

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
After Coffs Harbour 2004, you'd think Dogs fans would STFU about this.
:?

You mean an event which was fuelled by a media witchhunt, leaked police documents and where not one person was charged due to conflicting stories and simple lack of evidence?

As opposed to a guy who's been charged and will stand trial?

:?

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nrl-star-brett-stewart-touched-me/story-e6freuy9-1225923924246

NRL star Brett Stewart 'touched me'

* By Lisa Davies, Chief Court Reporter
* September 15, 2010 2:41PM

THE teenager who claims rugby league star Brett Stewart indecently assaulted her was treated for "a psychotic illness'' before the alleged incident, a jury has heard.

The Crown today opened their case against the first-choice Manly fullback, saying the young woman's unfortunate psychiatric history did not mean she was an unreliable witness.

Prosecutor Peter Skinner told the jury the then 17-year-old, who cannot be identified, claims she was smoking a cigarette outside a North Manly block of units when an allegedly intoxicated Stewart arrived home from a season launch function on March 6, 2009.

She alleges the pair had a brief conversation in which Stewart asked her what she was doing.

She claims she told him she was "just having a cigarette'', to which he allegedly replied: "Yuck''.

Mr Skinner said he expected the young woman's evidence to be that Stewart then "cornered her against the mailbox wall ... and put his tongue in her mouth'' before "she pushed him away''.

This allegedly happened twice, before she then claims she "felt his hand touch the inside of her left leg ... felt his hand go up inside her'' underwear.

She soon went inside to tell her father what had allegedly happened, and he was "irate'', the court heard, a short time later getting into a scuffle with Stewart, the court heard.

Mr Skinner said there would be evidence from doctor who had treated the young woman as a psychiatric patient from November 2007, diagnosing her with a "schizoaffective disorder''.

"I anticipate in his evidence he will say that she has had in the past, and he has treated for, in the past, some acute episodes ... for severe thought disorder,'' the prosecutor said.

"I expect that his evidence will be that she was on medication, and I expect his evidence will be that the last time she needed treatment for psychotic behaviour, including auditory hallucinations, was in October 2008.''

Stewart’s counsel Tony Bellanto QC told the court his client simply "didn't do any of'' the things alleged by the complainant.

Mr Bellanto said one major challenge would be the reliability of both the alleged victim and, in particular, her father.

He said it was a "matter of some delicacy'' and may even be viewed as "unpalatable" to cross-examine the young woman about her mental issues.

"We don't wish to demean her, we don't wish to belittle or take advantage of her, but this man's on trail for an extremely serious series of offences,'' he said.

Earlier the jury was told to ignore what they may have heard about the bad behaviour of "a minority" of sports stars because it was unfair and irrelevant to the Manly fullback's case.

Judge Jonathan Williams warned the jury about listening to any past media reports of the allegations or the coverage of the trial because they were not evidence.

"You must not of course make any presumption of Mr Stewart based on reports such as that (about other sports stars) because they are not evidence of what's alleged to have occurred and never will be," Judge Williams said.

"What you have to do is determine the actions of the accused if any ... That's the only decision that matters."

Stewart has pleaded not guilty to three counts of sexual and indecent assault against the young woman in March 2009.

Patorick

Staff member
You should just lock this, if you're going to keep deleting all pro-Brett and anti-Dogs messages. It's getting a bit ridiculous.

Eels Dude

Coach
You should just lock this, if you're going to keep deleting all pro-Brett and anti-Dogs messages. It's getting a bit ridiculous.

I can understand why mods would delete those messages, this topic shouldn't be a slanging match between Dogs and Manly fans it should be kept relevent.

Ulysseus

Bench
So with DNA evidence basically exonerating Stewart exactly what is this trial going to boil down to evidence wise?

Will it be "he said she said" crap?

Which will strange in its own right, given that her psycholigcal status has been called into question (some issues noted long before Stewarts apparent "attack") and her father being a convicted fraudster don't exactly make anything she says air tight.
By the same token its alleged Stewart was 3 sheets to the west.

Exactly who the f**k's evidence is given more credence here given that the fathers testimony could be called questionable and Stewart's fiance would be labeled a witness with a vested interest in his non conviction whether he is guilty or not?

Even you can see the writing on the wall in this case.

I'm no doggies fan...but they certainly copped a raw deal in the Coffs Harbour "scandal". It's rarely reported but one of the lead police investigators has conceded that not only was there not enough evidence to prosecute but that there was enough evidence to show a rape did not take place.

http://www.rleague.com/db/article.php?id=25196

MCEVOY:
Yes, and I'd go so far as the investigations manager - that was my position, detective senior sergeant - I'd go so far as to say that on Sunday the twenty-second of February, 2004, there was no woman raped in the pool area of the Pacific Bay Resort which .. that statement there that I've given you now is completely opposite to what my boss, my commander, was telling the media.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I think it is going to be difficult for the crown to establish a case here. Like the vast majority of sexual assault cases without DNA evidence its difficult to meet the burden of proof in a he says/she says kind of thing. Especially as Stewart's defence team is painting her as a lunatic.

That said I hope the NRL comes down on the Manly club like a ton of bricks if they are paying his legal fees. That is part of the salary cap.

Ulysseus

Bench
I think it is going to be difficult for the crown to establish a case here. Like the vast majority of sexual assault cases without DNA evidence its difficult to meet the burden of proof in a he says/she says kind of thing. Especially as Stewart's defence team is painting her as a lunatic.

That said I hope the NRL comes down on the Manly club like a ton of bricks if they are paying his legal fees. That is part of the salary cap.

Mate, by the sounds of things she does not require "painting" as a lunatic as it seems to have been pre-established that she has some mental issues of sorts, the prosecution admitting this does not help their case at all.

As for the legal fees, well it is arguable that it should be counted in the salary cap, if we look beyond this as being a Manly issues that needs to be dealt with by the Manly club alone (with reference to them taking on the DPP) we could view it as a wider indictment on the game when one its draw card stars is falsely accused of such public and disparaging offences.
From my own point of view I would say it should not be as it somewhat represents a landmark case of sorts in RL, along with C.H 2004, at what point should the games players be left out to dry and out of pocket trying to defend accusations that, for all intensive purposes and from what we have been shown so far, have probably not occurred?
Some other employers have arrangements covering their employees legal costs, I know I do, and should those services be required their costs are not deducted from wages.
Given that this does not happen once a month I hardly see the need to include it in the salary cap (which for all intensive purposes is a restriction of trade to a point) nor for the games governing body to make a blanket ruling that would, in the future, preclude players requiring legal advice or representation from receiving it by way of their employers (clubs) paying for it in part or in full.