What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett Stewart found not guilty of sexual assault

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
THE Manly Rugby League Club has refused to stand down its star fullback, Brett Stewart, while police investigate him for an alleged sexual assault on a 17-year-old girl.

But the the girl and her family plan to move house because they fear reprisals from Manly fans.

The club's board is awaiting the results of scientific results from police, which will give a strong indication of whether Stewart will be formally charged. The girl has provided police with a saliva sample for DNA testing, her family said yesterday. The results are due this week.

The girl's father told police he found Stewart with his daughter, who was screaming, beside an entrance to their villa complex at North Manly on Friday night. She accused Stewart of assaulting her while she was having a cigarette about 8pm. Stewart had earlier been at Manly's season launch function, where his teammate, the second-rower Anthony Watmough, was accused of slapping a club sponsor. Watmough denied it and the club's chief executive, Grant Mayer, has issued a statement saying the allegation against Stewart "is denied".

Stewart received strong support yesterday from Manly's Eagles Angels supporters group, which includes Wendy Harmer, Sarah Murdoch and Layne Beachley. "On a personal basis we have found him very respectful, well-mannered and a humble person," Harmer said. "The Angels I have spoken to would be pleased to give him that character reference."

The girl's father, who cannot be identified, said she was traumatised. A nurse visited the girl yesterday. "She is not good. How would you be coping?"

Police have warned the father not to make any more public statements or he will be charged with hindering the investigation.

Yesterday was International Women's Day and its theme was "women and men united to end violence against women and girls". The president of the UN Development Fund for Women (Australia), Sue Conde, said the pastor at the Gordon Uniting Church, Lorenzo Rodriguez Torres, spoke yesterday about how violence against women was a hidden issue in society - until he saw the stories about Stewart.

The National Rugby League has suspended its multimillion-dollar TV commercial and is remaking it to omit Stewart.

Mr Mayer said Stewart was expected at training this morning. "We will not be doing anything until the police complete their investigation."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...anly-backs-star/2009/03/08/1236447049317.html

Pierced Soul

First Grade
suspend ryles (if no one else has suggested it yet)

timmah i can imagine for a lot of people seeing someone you repspect or idolised accused of doing something like this shatters their belief and world view. if found guilty then even more so.

i'm sure that you and a lot of diggies fans (as well as other league fans in general) were quite shocked at the coffs allegations.

i really have no opinion one way or the other whats happened in this situation. as a league fan i'm hoping nothing happened, however if he ahs acted innapropriately i';m all in favour of him being dealt with harshly

IanG

Coach
Funny how they use the term quizzed. Makes it sound like he's on Sale Of The Century. Please keep in mind that he hasn't been charged with anything yet. For all we know this could be a complete fabrication. Let the police complete the investigation. (As you've probably seem from my avatar I'm not a Manly supporter)

IanG

Coach
If Brett Stewart is found innocent I hope he sues the living f**k out of them for defamation.

Gaba

First Grade
If Brett Stewart is found innocent I hope he sues the living f**k out of them for defamation.
As with any claim like this, the player and the police and who else is affected should go after the people who make false claims, other wise this will continue to happen and may happen more often in these times

WhiteWesWelker

Juniors

That is ridiculous.

Rape charges are often very difficult to prosecute. There is often an overwhelming proportion of circumstantial evidence that means that the "reasonable doubt" defense comes into play.

And besides, the family isn't driving this media attention. The media is driving it. When Channel 9 and Channel 7 news reporters were asking him questions outside his house he didn't answer the questions with answers, just with questions eg "How is your daughter feeling?" "How do you think she is feeling?"

And to see fans turn up at the police station to "support" Brett Stewart indicates that the family's fear that Manly fans will start a backlash against them is true. It truly takes a deranged human being to "support" someone like that.

If the case is dismissed and no charges laid because he is actually innocent, then support him as much as possible.

bartman

Immortal
:lol: @ the wankers turning up to the Police Station.
_41193013_jackson_innocent_203ap.jpg

WhiteWesWelker

Juniors
So every alleged rape victim should be sued because a case is thrown out. What happens in cases where there is insufficient or circumstantial evidence?

That would do A LOT for the enormous social problem that is unreported rape and sexual assault which estimates say account for 85% of all such crimes.

bartman

Immortal
Alleged Assault or not. The bigger problem is the fact he can't remember what happened because he drunk to much or so he told the club. That's more the problem IMO.

Here we are 1 week out from the season commencing we have the NRL 'poster boy' Getting blind drunk at a club function. Don't get me wrong I like a drink as much as the next people what's wrong with having a couple at the function and going home with mates after and drinking up in the safety of the home without trouble.

As for the allegations it may be a case of false claims...either way it will come out in the long way.

Great post :clap:. Regardless of if the allegations are proven or false, Stewart still is responsible for getting himself in that position. Players have to wake up, or our game will pay.

PJ

First Grade
As with any claim like this, the player and the police and who else is affected should go after the people who make false claims, other wise this will continue to happen and may happen more often in these times

I agree in principle but how do you judge this?

Lets say for example that the police believe they have enough to charge him but he wins in court. Can he now sue the alleged victim who has already been through the trauma of a court case?

If a girl is raped but there isn't enough evidence to convict (i.e. her word against his and the physical evidence isn't 100% compelling) should she not report it in case she is sued?

Gaba

First Grade
I agree in principle but how do you judge this?

Lets say for example that the police believe they have enough to charge him but he wins in court. Can he now sue the alleged victim who has already been through the trauma of a court case?

If a girl is raped but there isn't enough evidence to convict (i.e. her word against his and the physical evidence isn't 100% compelling) should she not report it in case she is sued?

What i mean with a false claim if it was deliberate attempt to get money, im not just saying the girl is at fault but the family or friends etc whoever made the complaint, for the purpose of hoping to get extra dollars.

bartman

Immortal
Yeah, claims are claims and people are entitled to make them. There's a big different between a claim that just doesn't result in a charge (lack of witnesses or corroborating evidence), and a claim that is "false" and can be demosntrated to be so (and the person charged with mischief).

Media reports all say alleged, which is entirely true. No-one for Brett Stewart to sue here...

If he isn't charged, then he'd be best advised to putting his energies instead into not having 8 hour daytime benders a week before Round 1 that put him in the position and circumstance (in a stairwell or inside a gate) where these things can occur or be alleged in the first place!

Latest posts