What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brett Stewart found not guilty of sexual assault

they may have insurance to cover such unexpected costs

Wouldn't matter. Club pays any expenses on his behalf its a benefit to him and should be in the cap. How the club meets that cost is irrelevant - whether using their own funds or an insurance payout.

It would be different if he had personal legal insurance - if there is such a thing. That wouldn't be included. I wonder if you can get insurance for "I might commit a crime and need a lawyer"?

Patsy

Juniors
i am sure they ran it past the nrl.

maybe the nrl want stewart to have the best possible representation he can to avoid any bad publicity should he be found guilty.

also i am pretty sure the lawyer is a manly board member - maybe there is some discounted fees.

what gets me is that a girl living on the northern beaches and in the same complex as brett has never heard of him. same goes with his father.

Eels Dude

Coach
what gets me is that a girl living on the northern beaches and in the same complex as brett has never heard of him. same goes with his father.

Did it ever occur to you that not everyone in Sydney has an interest in sport, let alone rugby league? We all on this forum may be rugby league tragics but there's a lot less of us than there are of people who don't follow the game at all.

Patsy

Juniors
Did it ever occur to you that not everyone in Sydney has an interest in sport, let alone rugby league? We all on this forum may be rugby league tragics but there's a lot less of us than there are of people who don't follow the game at all.

i am sorry but i find it odd that they would not know that a superstar footy player was living in the same apartment complex as them regardless if they watched footy or not.

considering she was at school in the northern beaches as well - i find it hard to believe

Eels Dude

Coach
i am sorry but i find it odd that they would not know that a superstar footy player was living in the same apartment complex as them regardless if they watched footy or not.

considering she was at school in the northern beaches as well - i find it hard to believe

Given that she and her father had only moved into the apartment complex a month before this incident occured it seems perfectly reasonable to me.

LazyDreamer

Bench
Bird, for example.

Unless neither her nor Stewart would co-operate with the police, but circumstantial evidence painted a pretty clear picture, and Stewart is convicted & appeals, and only then she finally speaks & tells the court that she'd stuck a lit firecracker up herself & Stewart was merely getting it out to protect her from herself...then no, nothing like Bird.

meltiger

First Grade
also i am pretty sure the lawyer is a manly board member - maybe there is some discounted fees.

My guess is the NRL would force the board member to provide a standard quote for the services in this case.

Using the Tiges as an example again, back when Meriton were sponsoring the club, if Meriton offered million dollar city apartments to the players at a "discounted rate" would people argue that was fair? Or the difference between sale cost and market rate should be included in the cap?

I'd suggest the latter

MSIH

Bench
Manly aren't paying his legal costs.

If they did it'd be included in the cap for sure. No way they're paying them though.

Hanscholo

Bench
Stewarts lawyers are going to make it a trial about her families motives. Which is a real shame you can do that, considering in a lot of cases the past of the defendant cant be spoken about.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...x-trial-date-set/story-e6freuy9-1225851764537

Brett Stewart unlawful sex trial date set

* April 09, 2010 11:20AM

MANLY rugby league star Brett Stewart will face trial in September over claims he sexually assaulted a 17-year-old girl after his Sydney club's 2009 season launch.

The 24-year-old fullback faced the Downing Centre Local Court last month, where he was committed to stand trial in a higher court over the alleged assault.

On Friday, Stewart appeared on crutches in the Downing Centre District Court in Sydney when his matter was briefly mentioned.

Judge Peter Berman set a trial date of September 13.

Stewart did not say anything in court and declined to speak to reporters outside the court.

He is charged with having sexual intercourse involving digital penetration with the 17-year-old girl without her consent on the evening of March 6, 2009, at North Manly on Sydney's northern beaches.

He is also accused of assault with an act of indecency, namely that he "forced his tongue into her mouth''.

i hope this doesn't hog the headlines during the finals