What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

(Brian Carney) 3rd signing announced tonight!

goldcoastpunk

Juniors
Carney is a very impressive signing IMO, but as mentioned before, he has recently had a bad run with injuries.

He is going to be 30 in 06' but he has only been playing league for 7 or so years and should have plenty left in the tank. Good signing on the face value, just going to have to see what eventuates.

Hope Carney coming out here encourages other poms, Fielden and/or Peacock to come have a crack with the Raiders!

Pigskin

Juniors
signing an aging winger and probably paying overs for him (being a pom) ... is simply ludicrous

a centre perhaps ... but they should be concentrating on a top quality hooker, a fullback or defensively sound halfback (can't hide both halves ;-) )

if I were John Cartwright, getting my first gig in the top flight .... not sure I'd want Preston Campbell (who needs to be hidden in defence) as my first signing, and an aging/injury-prone winger as my third

Bailey is an outstanding signing, don't get me wrong

hmmm ....

Oink !

yankeeboy

Juniors
Have they released the ammount of money they will be paying the players, or just the information that they've signed them.

The NRL has said that Carney will take a pay cut to play in the NRL.

My guess is that the three combined (Campbell, Bailey, and Carney) would probably eat about $800k of the cap. Does anyone else have any other opinions?

Gold Coast NRL team signs Carney

22:01 AEST Thu Jun 30 2005
AAP
The Gold Coast's player roster boasts two internationals and a Dally M winner after Great Britain winger Brian Carney became the NRL club's third high-profile signing.

Carney will link with NSW and Australian prop Luke Bailey as well as Penrith livewire Preston Campbell on the tourist strip after signing a two-year deal with the Coast.

Carney will now get to test himself against the best wingers in the world after emerging as one of the game's leading finishers in last year's Tri-Nations tournament in England.

The likeable Irishman scored three tries in five games after rebounding from an injury-plagued 2004 English Super League season with Wigan.

Carney will relocate to Australia at the end of 2006 when his current contract with the Warriors expire.

The 28-year-old has formed a devastating wing combination with former North Sydney and Queensland speedster Brett Dallas at Wigan.

spac_writeAd('/SITE=NEWS/AREA=SPORT/LOC=TOP/AAMSZ=MEDIUM')
space.gif

Gold Coast managing director Michael Searle said Carney was always high on the priority list despite declaring last week that halfback, five-eighth, fullback and the front row were the key positions to fill.

"He was always going to be a key signing for us because he's a Great Britain international and highly regarded by most in the game as the best winger in the game," Searle said.

"He's certainly been the best performed winger over the last two Tri-Nations series without any doubt.

"The guy genuinely wanted to come here. He wants to challenge himself in the National Rugby League.

"The difficult thing with all English rugby league players is that they have to take a pay-cut to come to our game.

"But Brian's a guy that is highly motivated and recognises that he's competed at the absolute pinnacle of our game, which is Great Britain v Australia, but wants to test himself week in week out.

"The guy's a genuine character and he'll become an icon for our base too."

Searle spent 12 days in England sounding out several Super League players a fortnight ago.

But he said the club wouldn't be announcing further signings of overseas players, or NRL stars, after the anti-tampering deadline expires at midnight.

"We never saw ourselves as coming in and doing a ram-raid on the other clubs," Searle said.

"We're going to talk to players more that have expressed an interest in coming here and that's been our core recruitment policy."

While Carney's signing took the Gold Coast's player tally to three, the club will take a further two months before deciding on a name.

The Gold Coast, previously known as the Dolphins, lost the moniker when Queensland Cup side Redcliffe threatened legal action.

Searle said fans would be asked to vote on the club's website for a new name after a short-list of 10 was revealed.

Fans will get to choose between Stingers, Ironmen, Cardinals, Titans, Swell, Pirates, Marlins, Breakers, Rhinos and Rockz with a wildcard selection also allowed.

"We've got a wildcard icon (on the website) and the reason we've done that is that if fans aren't happy that their name isn't there, they can insert the name they wanted," he said.

"I suppose it's a satisfaction test to a certain extent and if we get enough votes through this method it may make our top five."

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=48631

DIEHARD

----
Cut-price 'cult hero'
1Jul05

The Gold Coast NRL consortium has signed its third player a bargain basement deal on a world-class footballer they expect to become a cult hero.

The new franchise has signed Great Britain's Irish-born winger Brian Carney from Wigan and the Gold Coast lifestyle played a big part in his decision.

However, the yet-to-be-named club is resigned to missing out on the one English forward it wanted to sign, Great Britain and Bradford hard man Stuart Fielden.

But Carney, who the Roosters chased hard last year, has agreed to come at a more than reasonable price because of the relatively low cost of living on the tourist strip.

Consortium managing director Michael Searle is certain Carney will become a crowd favourite when he takes up his two-year deal in the club's formation year of 2007.

"He wants an opportunity to come here and he has had to take a massive discount on his fee," said Searle yesterday.

"He can take a discount and live here and get away with it because of the cost in relation to Sydney ... plus he likes the lifestyle.

"There was some speculation he wouldn't be here for 2007 but we have got him. And he has come at a steal he just wants to play here.

"He will be great on the paddock and great off it as well. I can see him having a cult following over here."

Carney is good friends with The Footy Show's panelist Matthew Johns, who recommended him to the Coast consortium. The pair were to do a live interview from the Gold Coast Convention Centre last night but the inclement weather made it impossible to uplink a satellite.

But Carney said his decision to sign with the Gold Coast was made with the knowledge and excitement of being involved in a new licence.

Source: GC Bulletin

nqboy

First Grade
Good player at the right price. But their version and mine (or Pigskin's) version of the right price might be a bit different.

Lolesi's gotta be a priority signing, hasn't he? And he'd probably be cheaper than Carney.

Shame they missed Fielden, love to see the big fella inthe NRL.

LESStar58

Referee
Read about Carney this morning. I'm well impressed. Just need some more UK based players trying their luck down here I reckon!

DIEHARD

----
Carney appreciates release
By Phil Barnett in London
July 19, 2005

GREAT Britain winger Brian Carney has thanked Wigan for agreeing to release him at the end of the Super League season to join NRL side Newcastle next year.

The popular international will play for the Gold Coast when it is admitted into the NRL in 2007, when his Wigan deal was due to expire, but Wigan confirmed today he would be allowed to leave at the end of the current campaign to join the Knights.

Carney, 28, who is currently sidelined by injury, thanked Wigan's coach and administrators for the early release.

"I would like to thank (Wigan chairman) Maurice Ross and (coach) Ian Millward for their consideration in allowing me to go at the end of this season," Carney said.

"I have had a tremendous five years at Wigan, who I consider as 'my club' but I really wanted this new challenge. I have property in Wigan that I will be keeping. I have enjoyed every minute of my time here and I will be back in the side before the end of the season to thank the fans for their support and will be giving everything to finish on a high.

"I believe the team are in the right hands to go forward and believe that with the new signings for 2006 and talent already at Wigan the club has a great opportunity to be successful next year."

Millward revealed the decision to release Carney at the end of the season was part of the club's long-term plan.

"Brian has his heart set on Australia and we want to plan long term, and have signed Mark Calderwood and (Wests Tigers winger) Pat Richards," he said.

"Both are 23 years old and we hope they will have long and successful careers with us.

"When Brian recovers from injury we are looking forward to him helping the club to secure a place in the top six play-offs."

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au