What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian McClennan - SHUT UP!!!

Murphdogg1

Juniors
nospam49™ said:
Ive spent my entire life hearing the Poms bag us, telling us they have o9ver taken us....only to see them getting thrashed when it matters.

If you havent seen these things happen I have to question if you've been watching sprting for more then five minutes!

Poms? big f**ken deal

Poms always talk it up then fold, aka soccer

Meanwhile saying that McClennan is talking it up is false anyway, he hasnt even had a go at the Kangaroos, he just said that Tahu and King are actually playing out of position, which is true and that they may try and exploit that, not talking it up at all really

Murphdogg1

Juniors
So what? they havent even been bagged just mentioning that they are out of position just like Vagana is for us.......

strong_latte

Juniors
I agree with Murphdogg1. The kiwi's have to take the most aggressive attitude possible into this game... they have to make it like a Springbok V Wallabies encounter where the level of passion overflows on the pitch. Then we'll see a contest! The Kangaroos have been coasting through games the last decade or so, we need them to have the sh*t kicked out of them by some pissed off poms and kiwi's! I want to see international league with double the intensity and hatred of SOO!

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
nospam49™ said:
I best Tahu and King rip NZ apart.

If King gets the better of Vatuvei one on one (i.e. runs around or over him- NOT strolls over due to a misread or missed tackle from one of the players inside Vatuvei *cough* Toopi "*cough*) I will be VERY surprised.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Murphdogg1 said:
Meanwhile saying that McClennan is talking it up is false anyway, he hasnt even had a go at the Kangaroos, he just said that Tahu and King are actually playing out of position, which is true and that they may try and exploit that, not talking it up at all really

Tahu spent his whole career (apart from a couple of games at the Knights and season 2005) on the right wing, and Matt King spent most of 2004 on the left wing, and won the Brad Fittler medal on the wing during Origin.

Meanwhile he's talking up Webster, who has been a centre his whole career and only played wing for Melbourne because of Steve Turner's injury and while he was outstanding, this is still his first season there, and Vatuvei who is only 19 and was injured for alot of this year.

I don't know what McLennan is trying to do by all of the talking he's doing, but he better hope it works or he could be out the door just as quick as he got in. It seems very silly but I'll reserve my judgment until after the game.

AuckMel

Bench
ParraDude_Jay said:
It seems very silly but I'll reserve my judgment until after the game.

Better still, do it when he gets the proper Kiwi team together.

At this stage he's just putting on a brave face and fair enough.

aqua_duck

Coach
Maybe McClennan has a short memory but Timana Tahu is a premiership winning winger and has played for Australia and NSW exclusively on the wing. Matt King was the player of the series in origin on the wing and absolutely carved up Qld. Lets not forget thaqt when Orford puts up a bomb outwide for Melbourne he usually aims for Matt King.
I mean Webster and Vatuvei are still both learning the ropes at NRL level and have no rep experience and very little big game experience to speak of.
King and Tahu might both have played centre in the NRL this season but before that both were wingers and lets not forget these two were the wingers in origin 3 for a rampant NSW team. Also if there's anyone who can exploit a winger its Joey Johns, although Lockyer ain't too shabby either.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
nospam49™ said:
The Kiwi's (And the Poms for that matter) just need to put out the same old media lines.

The Aussies are so good, we just hope to do our best, they have such a quality side its hard to see a weakness anywhere, we have our work cut out for us.....

True enough.
McLennans bold statements make for better print though, & I cant help wondering if thats a part of the reason he's making them. Who wants to read the same old "we're underdogs, but we'll try our best" sh*t. People are more likely to notice someone that(perhaps foolishly) puts his balls on the line. The match needs all the press it can get over here.
Lets face it, whether Australia are fired up or not, its still going to be damned hard for NZ to compete.

Auckland4ever said:
True enough.
McLennans bold statements make for better print though, & I cant help wondering if thats a part of the reason he's making them. Who wants to read the same old "we're underdogs, but we'll try our best" sh*t. People are more likely to notice someone that(perhaps foolishly) puts his balls on the line. The match needs all the press it can get over here.
Lets face it, whether Australia are fired up or not, its still going to be damned hard for NZ to compete.

I think when your a Test coach....if someone says "Mate, say something to sell tickets" you tell them to **** off.

Now we're hearing that the Kiwis are looking to bash Australia out of the game and start a fight. Thats the dumbest, most predicatble stuff you hear ALL the time from NZ and GB in these matchups with Australia.

I have never heard one side talking up a fight thats ever gone on to win a game.

Humphrey

Juniors
nospam49™ said:
http://www.nrl.com/news.cfm?ID=13054

This bloke has spent the lats couple of weeks like some over confident p*ssed idiot at the local pub. .

This threads a crock of sh*te. McLennan doesnt fit some jerks profile and he labels him a pissed idiot.
For my money its the brains behind the speak. Bluey and Natty might not SOUND the buisness but they sure as hec know the game

dazza

Staff member
Quote:
While there has been little talk of biff since the Kiwis arrived last weekend, Bennett has a file of newspaper clippings from New Zealand in which skipper Ruben Wiki, assistant coach Graham Norton and former Test great Mark Graham all advocated a physical approach against the Kangaroos.
so they advocate a physical approach. where does it say they advocate going out & starting a fight??

it says there has been LITTLE TALK OF BIFF. read the frigging thing properly.

nospam49- SHUT UP!!!

cheers dazza

dazza

Staff member
have a read of this freak, especially the part in bold, then tell me if the kiwis are going to bring the biff on.

don`t get me wrong, they won`t back down from it, probably even win the punch up, but they won`t be starting it. looks like o`donnell is the one doing all the talking, aye.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/story.cfm?c_id=79&ObjectID=10350084

League: Enforcer's tough talk falls on deaf ears

Test football won't curb self-appointed enforcer Luke O'Donnell's mean streak with the debutant vowing to get down and dirty on a physical Kiwis pack if required in tomorrow's Tri-Nations league opener.

"I play the game tough, I take an aggressive approach in every game I play so I don't really like to think I'll slow myself up because it's a test," O'Donnell says.

The New Zealand camp wouldn't exactly rise to the bait offered by O'Donnell, who last year copped an 11-match suspension for breaking the jaw of then Canberra halfback Michael Monaghan.

Kiwis captain Ruben Wiki, who has played 44 more tests than O'Donnell, said the Kiwis would not necessarily meet fire with fire if the 24-year-old was seeking to mix it.

"The days of the biff are probably gone," said Wiki, who bears scars on both forearms from a career of heavy collisions.

"These days you can hit harder with a tackle than you can with a punch."

But Penrith Panthers second-rower Frank Pritchard suggested that the brash 24-year-old could be targeted by an experienced Kiwis pack which included O'Donnell's North Queensland clubmate, Paul Rauhihi.

"It's his first start so he won't know what to expect from us," said Pritchard, who earned his test spurs only six months ago in the Anzac Test.

He said he was willing to take on O'Donnell in a battle of the rookies.

"He'll be looking for a good game in his first test, and you can't under-estimate him.

"He's an 80-minute man ... but I'm up for the challenge. It'll be a couple of young guys going at it."

Regardless of the outcome, Pritchard can reflect on a successful year that saw him debut in Brisbane as a replacement for the injured Sonny Bill Williams.

He also owed injuries to Kiwis duo Joe Galuvao and Tony Puletua for a better than expected year at the foot of the Blue Mountains.

Pritchard was initially a bench player with the "hair bear duo" forming the second row but when Puletua was sidelined in April Pritchard relished the chance to start and ultimately missed just four of the Panthers' 26 regular-season games.

"TP's [Puletua] our power forward so I had to step up to the plate," Pritchard said.

The departure of Galuvao to South Sydney is also beneficial now that Puletua is back to full fitness.

"That also opens the door for me to start next year."

But far from worrying about Penrith, Pritchard said he was purely focused on the clash at Telstra Stadium tomorrow.

"I think we've got the forward pack to roll them a bit," he said.

"The key is yardage plays and taking them up the middle."

- NZPA

ozbash

Referee
physical - fight

yes fweaky they both start with the ffff sound but they mean very different things.

Iafeta

Referee
McClennan confident of upset

Related Articles

Kiwis chasing Sydney history
McClennan backs his wing duo
McClennan to meet with referee
Vagana selected at five-eighth

Oct 15, 2005

Despite labelling the Australian side the best sporting outfit in the world, New Zealand rugby league coach Brian McClennan is confident his troops could cause a major upset in Saturday night's Tri-Nations clash.

The Kiwis go into the Telstra Stadium match as rank underdogs, with the full-strength Kangaroos set to feast on a depleted New Zealand side which is without several of its stars due to injury.

McClennan described his side's build-up for the tournament opener as faultless, and claimed it needed to be if the Kiwis were to be any chance of toppling their more fancied hosts.

"It's respect to the Australians. We know we have to prepare really, really well," McClennan said.

"They have been the world champions for yonks now, probably the most successful sports team in the world really, in any sport."

But rather than be daunted by the prospect of becoming the first New Zealand side to beat the Kangaroos in Sydney since 1959, McClennan said the Kiwis were excited by the challenge.

"That makes the proposition of playing them even more appealing," McClennan said of taking on their trans-Tasman rivals.

"Our players and all our management are ... really enthusiastic about trying to be the first Kiwi team to win in close to 50 years in Sydney and beat what ... is a very, very good Australian side."

The Kiwi coach denied claims his side would resort to roughhouse tactics in a bid to unsettle the Kangaroos, but promised a physical onslaught from his monster forward pack.

Australian coach Wayne Bennett today said he had been tipped off that the Kiwis would be "going back to the bash and biff days", but McClennan said that wouldn't be the case.

"Our guys have got a physical make-up about them so we will be physical, but there's no way we'll be doing anything illegal," McClennan said.

"We don't want to be giving away penalties.

"The referee's a very good referee and his job is to protect all 34 players.

"We respect that but it's also a test match and test matches need to be physical, within the laws of the game.

"Don't be turning up thinking the Kiwis are going to be employing any dirty tactics because that's not what we're out to do."

McClennan is more concerned with how the Kiwis will handle the relentless Australian kick-chase game.

He expects fullback Brent Webb and debutant wingers Manu Vatuvei and Jake Webster to be put under enormous pressure returning kicks from deep inside their own territory, and said their ability to ease the workload on the forwards would be pivotal to the outcome of the match.

The New Zealand kicking game should benefit from the return of classy halfback Stacey Jones from representative retirement, though McClennan said the Les Catlans-bound No.7 wouldn't be the Kiwi's only option with the boot.

"Webby's a left foot, he can kick on the other side of the ruck," McClennan said.

"We've got Lance (Hohaia) that can kick out of dummy half, we've got David Faiumu who's a left foot out of dummy half. We've got more options for our kick than ever."

----------

Good talk Bluey. I like it son.

hutch

First Grade
TheEelsFanatic said:
vatuvei, would take king, and timana would cover webster, its prti even IMO

the aussie wingers have it all over the kiwis. king had an awesome origin series, vatuvei hasnt exactly set the world on fire yet in the nrl, although big things are expected. tahu is a freak, webster is a reserve grader.