What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Smith Coach of the Year

Yosh

Coach
Hmmm...

So this guy leaves our club last year in less then pleasing circumstances then goes to win the coach of the year. Plus his players won NRL player of the year and Captain of the year. So... What's up with that?!?:x

Yosh

Coach
Oh sorry I'll rephrase myself.

Why'd we let him go? Jeez who knows where we would have came this year...

Then again I think maybe Aku wouldn't have had the season he had if BSmith was still here. I can see some positives and realisitcally if the Roosters don't win the final, in the end its the same result as us.

Does Stone have a future do you guys think?

perverse

Referee
Oh sorry I'll rephrase myself.

Why'd we let him go? Jeez who knows where we would have came this year...

Then again I think maybe Aku wouldn't have had the season he had if BSmith was still here. I can see some positives and realisitcally if the Roosters don't win the final, in the end its the same result as us.

Does Stone have a future do you guys think?
because we were indecisive and non-commital.

Yosh

Coach
because we were indecisive and non-commital.

Yeah makes alot of us angry huh.

I remember reading an article about Liverpool Football Club (in the English Premier League) where it outlined why the club was in turmoil. It really demonstrated the influence owners and club administration has on the club.

How the writer used to believe when he was a young boy that the players decided who would win the league. When he got a little older he understood the importance of the manager. However now as a 50 something year old he firmly believes success on the field is determined by the roots planted by the owners of the club etc etc.

Definately applies to us as well if you ask me.

perverse

Referee
+ the Roosters had 10x the cattle we had
Had we not farted around with reasonably insulting 1 year offers and provided him with some security the roosters would have been unlikely to even get a look-in in the first place. We didn't do the right thing by Smith, for whatever reason, and it bit us hard on the arse.

Rolla

Juniors
Yeah makes alot of us angry huh.

I remember reading an article about Liverpool Football Club (in the English Premier League) where it outlined why the club was in turmoil. It really demonstrated the influence owners and club administration has on the club.

How the writer used to believe when he was a young boy that the players decided who would win the league. When he got a little older he understood the importance of the manager. However now as a 50 something year old he firmly believes success on the field is determined by the roots planted by the owners of the club etc etc.

Definately applies to us as well if you ask me.

Liverpool's situation is quite different to ours, however the point you make about the importance of having a functional club from top down is a good one.

Y.N.W.A

Noname36

First Grade
It's strange. I was absolutely gutted when Smith announced that he was going to the Roosters last year, but now for some reason I can't bring myself to care that he's gone.

I've heard him in interviews this year say how relieving it is to be at a club with resources, money, professionalism, etc...and even if he wasn't saying that as a stab at Newcastle, it pretty much indicates that he couldn't have been happy here (considering resources, money, etc are things we don't have).

I'd still like to have him here, but I think Smithy has finally found his perfect club...so good on him...

Freddo

Juniors
just stating the facts.

the roosters playing roster is far better than the knights. the facilites and the money the club generates, allows them to be far better advanced.

the knights need another clean out out the whole club, but also need to get some more cash flow coming in to. and recruit/develop some more talent.

of all the 16 clubs the knights are fighting for a bone with the sharks in terms of financial structure.

also when was the last time a brian smith coached team won a comp

Joker's Wild

Coach
Had we not farted around with reasonably insulting 1 year offers and provided him with some security the roosters would have been unlikely to even get a look-in in the first place. We didn't do the right thing by Smith, for whatever reason, and it bit us hard on the arse.

Oh I agree mate

Cant deny that the superior playing roster and $$$ at the Rooters didnt play a significant part either though

Yosh

Coach
Again a better playing roster stems from better management. We need to get this fixed or we are gonna face Sharkish problems.

macavity

Referee
it bit us hard on the arse.
c01eee32-2c51-4369-bd51-2d1bf0da47bd.jpg

Titanic

First Grade
He's an excellent NRL coach but is he a premiership coach? The jury is still out.

Smithy deserves this no question. He has finally got the votes based on his ability as a coach and not been denied by some media agenda. Smithy's acceptance speech should have been short and sweet. He should have said "Rothfield that is for you old son. You arrogant nuffie." Mr Know It All has been very quiet this week since.

Last edited:

Latest posts