What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Smith goneskis

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
Any chance you can expand on this? I simply thought Carney fell out of favour; didn't realise he was run out.

in the end it was a decision by the leadership group based on carney breaking a no booze policy that we had put in place for the last few games of a lost season.

it was quite a few on here were of the opinion that braith didnt like his place in the back row and took his opportunity to push carney out based on his minor indescretion.

also the numerous rumours about smith and carneys mum, carney not feeling like he had the support of the club etc.

anyone have anything else to add?

i always got the feeling that braith pushed him under the bus so he could keep the 6 jersey.

Smith did his job. He bent the club over with a 4 year deal though. If politics didn't keep that cum stain Anasta then we would be further along the line of development. All we need is the right coach, a few dead shits like Masoe and Arona to piss off and we're good to go.

If we appoint Elliott, Kearney, Sheens we have f**ked up years of building.

Valheru

Coach
in the end it was a decision by the leadership group based on carney breaking a no booze policy that we had put in place for the last few games of a lost season.

it was quite a few on here were of the opinion that braith didnt like his place in the back row and took his opportunity to push carney out based on his minor indescretion.

also the numerous rumours about smith and carneys mum, carney not feeling like he had the support of the club etc.

i always got the feeling that braith pushed him under the bus so he could keep the 6 jersey.

I think there were elements of this but for me the reason he was sacked was because the ridiculous vendetta a certain newspaper had against the roosters, Smith and Carney. The attack by the media and the vitriol that come with it late last season was nothing short of disgraceful. We were told by this newspaper to sack him ?for the good of the game? and that he should ?never be allowed to play rugby league again?. We were also told that he absolutely had to stop drinking and the club endured a month of 5 page spreads about its off field history all because TC had a couple of beers in shorts and thongs.

Not long after he signed with Cronulla and that same newspaper headlined by 1 ?journalist? in particular labelled it a great signing and even congratulated Cronulla on their decision to let him drink whenever he wants.

/rant

Cliffhanger

Coach
I will always have a soft spot for Carney, he is incredibly talented, but he's also mentally weak, and he will continue to be inconsistent and found wanting until he improves that.

Pearce is nowhere near as talented as Carney, but he is much tougher mentally, if Pearce makes a mistake in a match he tends to move on, you can tell it's gone from his head the next time he touches a ball, you can tell his confidence has completely faded.

Fire

First Grade
Who calls the shots at your club? Noyce? Politis? The Coach? Pearce? The Captain? SBW?

Monk

Referee
I was hoping we'd keep Smith on for another year. Man i hope we don't f**k up and get Elliot as HC.

Never a big fan of Smiff the Stiff and im happy to see him go however it must be said...................he was working with possibly the dumbest group of players in the history of Rugby League.

As for Elliott i say bring it on, hes just the sort of no nonsense character this joint needs...................we are talking Elliott Goblet aren't we? ;-)

Have to admire your board ,least they have the balls to punt the coach,WT have led a similar path to you guys this year however our board refuses to show some balls and sack Sheen.Good luck in the future.

stumped

Juniors
it amazes me that a club steeped in history, good and bad, can turn on one man for a "teams" poor result, I have and will always support the roosters through good times and bad, I will defend our players and coaches from vitriol and slanderous remarks, It must be remembered that some people on this forum turned on Brad Fittler and Craig Fitzgibon! truth be known, the club signed Brian on a 4 year contract and in hindsight hes tenure should have been 2 years, Brian instilled some much needed discipline too the club and has helped bring some very exciting talent through the ranks, I am disappointed that Brian wont get to attend tonights presentation, that is a poor state of affairs, this could have been done next week and the club would be no worse off, saying that a fresh approach is more than likely what the mighty red, white and blue needs

This is the Roosters and it's always been the way. The roller coaster ride of being a fan of the club.

I hope they don't f**k up the coaching appointment. I hope the replacement is 1) lined up and 2) actually good which leaves about 2 coaches.

adamkungl

Immortal
Would rather keep Smith than take Sheens :crazy:

this.

Well he did manage to get an awful souths team to a finals series but I don’t think he is that good. Doing whatever possible to lure Bellamy early or taking a punt on someone untried is the way to go IMO.

The available coaches with NRL experience don’t exactly have great resumes:

Taylor
Elliot
Kearney
McClellan

Maybe give Fitzy a go, he looks smarter than Freddy and Toovey has worked for Manly..

Taylor has potential.
Elliot can f**k right off.
Kearney is a nuffy.
McClennan didn't get the results with the Warriors, but won 2 comps with Leeds. has potential.
Nathan Brown seems to be getting decent results in the SL, same with Trent Robinson who was here in 2010.

I don't rate any of the available head coaches in the NRL. Imo take the punt on Taylor or give Trent Robinson a call, Fitzy as assistant.

Carney was in worthless form and rather than stick solid with something the team agreed to, he (and Myles and FPN) showed a complete lack of respect for their teammates. The constant suggestions that Braith forced him out are based on nothing but petty scapegoating.

I think there were elements of this but for me the reason he was sacked was because the ridiculous vendetta a certain newspaper had against the roosters, Smith and Carney.

Pfft, like Politis or anyone else gives a shit what that rag thinks. Carney made his own bed.

For the record, I did not want Carney to be sacked, but I understand why he was. Don't see why people constantly blame everyone except the guy who got himself in shit. He's not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Anyway, Smith did the job he was employed to do, and was unlucky not to win a comp.

As a result of his 3 years, we have a very young side full of talent that with the right coach and some hard work will win a comp in the near future.

Thanks Smithy, best of luck in future.

drago brelli

Bench
it amazes me that a club steeped in history, good and bad, can turn on one man for a "teams" poor result, I have and will always support the roosters through good times and bad, I will defend our players and coaches from vitriol and slanderous remarks, It must be remembered that some people on this forum turned on Brad Fittler and Craig Fitzgibon! truth be known, the club signed Brian on a 4 year contract and in hindsight hes tenure should have been 2 years, Brian instilled some much needed discipline too the club and has helped bring some very exciting talent through the ranks, I am disappointed that Brian wont get to attend tonights presentation, that is a poor state of affairs, this could have been done next week and the club would be no worse off, saying that a fresh approach is more than likely what the mighty red, white and blue needs
stumped......you would fail the NAPLAN test.

Brandy said on NRL on Fox tonight that Gus still has a desire to coach. I could handle that, not that I expect it to happen.

Drew-Sta

Staff member

I think there were elements of this but for me the reason he was sacked was because the ridiculous vendetta a certain newspaper had against the roosters, Smith and Carney. The attack by the media and the vitriol that come with it late last season was nothing short of disgraceful. We were told by this newspaper to sack him ?for the good of the game? and that he should ?never be allowed to play rugby league again?. We were also told that he absolutely had to stop drinking and the club endured a month of 5 page spreads about its off field history all because TC had a couple of beers in shorts and thongs.

Not long after he signed with Cronulla and that same newspaper headlined by 1 ?journalist? in particular labelled it a great signing and even congratulated Cronulla on their decision to let him drink whenever he wants.

/rant

I will always have a soft spot for Carney, he is incredibly talented, but he's also mentally weak, and he will continue to be inconsistent and found wanting until he improves that.

Pearce is nowhere near as talented as Carney, but he is much tougher mentally, if Pearce makes a mistake in a match he tends to move on, you can tell it's gone from his head the next time he touches a ball, you can tell his confidence has completely faded.

Thanks for the insight.

Carney seems to be a relational player, similar to Soward, in that he needs a coach that understands how to keep his confidence high and how far he's allowed to play vs reigning him in. Sounds like Braith muddied the waters when Carney wasn't in form and Smith wasn't able to rescue his confidence in time.