What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Smith Quits

Caged Panther

First Grade
Couldn't have waited a week until after they played Penrith. Teams usually fire up with a change of coach mid season.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Board meeting tonight will decide the replacement.

All I can say is about time.

Yesterday people can claim they played well to stay close to the 'Dogs, but the fact is that the 'Dogs were poor and Parramatta were worse.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Taylor replaces Smith as Eels coach
Monday May 15 17:00 AEST
Jason Taylor will replace Brian Smith for this Friday night's clash with Penrith (AAP)

By ninemsn staff

Outgoing Parramatta coach Brian Smith has shocked club and competition officials by calling it quits at the Eels less than halfway through the season.

He'll be replaced by assistant Jason Taylor as coach for this Friday night's clash with Penrith and for the remainder of the season.

His departure follows the Eels dismal start to the season, with just two wins in nine games and ongoing onfield bickering between players.

Smith's future at the Eels became tenuous after Parramatta management decided, before the season began, that this would be his 10th and final season at the club.

He then signed as Newcastle coach for next season, and has been unable to arrest an alarming slide in form and question marks over his club commitment.

http://news.sbkprod.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=88366

aussies1st

Staff member
I wonder if the Knights still want Smith.
He should have stayed as all this has done is cause internal problems and Taylor is only there for half a season.

Leagueguy

Juniors
Hard to say whether he did the right thing. I wouldn't have blamed him if he'd quit as soon as he found out he wouldn't be there next year. If my employer fired me I wouldn't want to stick round for a year. However maybe in agreeing to coach them this year , he really commited himself to the players for the whole season. Really though, where is there any loyalty at all in football. Theres no loyalty from clubs to players, from fans to players (as soon as they play badly they call for replacements), so why should coaches be loyal.

Parra Guru

Coach
Go JT, he deserves it ahead of anyone, even if he is leaving.

Timmah said:
Yesterday people can claim they played well to stay close to the 'Dogs, but the fact is that the 'Dogs were poor and Parramatta were worse.

I couldn't agree more

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I think the big question will be whether or not he helps out at Newie town at all in 2006.

jamesgould

Juniors
Timmah said:
I think the big question will be whether or not he helps out at Newie town at all in 2006.

Well the Andrew Johns factor will win you most games. And without Johns Hagan has won 4 out of his last 24 ... so Smith can't do much worse than that.

He'll be great for the Knights, bringing through the next wave of juniors and hopefully giving the players a bit of accountability (in terms of their spots in first grade) for their performance.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Anyone else think he timed this so that he could begin to openly seduce Parra players prior to the midyear contract-fest?

El Diablo

Post Whore
jamesgould said:
hopefully giving the players a bit of accountability (in terms of their spots in first grade) for their performance.

you clearly don't pay much attention to his Parramatta selections each week

maybe Peterson will be dropped this week now Smith is gone

V1er

Juniors
LESStar58 said:
Fitzy, like the merkin that he is, went and hired Hagan behind Smith's back and said that he wasn't needed.

smith has quit the club and I think it's good for him. Whats the point of hanging around if you aren't getting anywhere. Doubt he's getting any support from the board at Parra either.

Best of luck, SMithy. Hopefully the Eels continue to sink into the funk in which they are already mired so far this year!

They didnt go behind his back, they told him last year this would be his last year before begining to look for a replacement coach.

El Diablo

Post Whore
V1er said:
They didnt go behind his back, they told him last year this would be his last year before begining to look for a replacement coach.

shhhhhhhhhh

don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

jamesgould

Juniors
El Diablo said:
you clearly don't pay much attention to his Parramatta selections each week

maybe Peterson will be dropped this week now Smith is gone

Hagan has never dropped a player. Ever.