What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Smith Quits

The Colonel

Immortal
JJ said:
No doubt a change was needed from Smith - but he does have a terrific record despite the GF losses. I think he'll turn Newcastle into a much better team. His big problem is that the systems he sets up are good and he tends to keep his job too long...

Remains to be seen though whether the Knights management will show the same tolerance that the Eels did. I do know this much from ten years of Smith, the Knights management will be faced with some very unhappy supporters as tough decisions are made. If they want to reap the benefits they will have to weather the fan and possible sponsor backlash. Will also be interesting to see if managment tolerates the games he tends to play.

Also how the players react to a regime that is going to be much stricter than that of Hagan will also be a telling factor.

Whats Doing

Bench
Hagan won the premiership on the back of Woks coaching. He has taken that team to the wooden spoon in 4 years. He does very little in the development of players and with the juniors. His winning percentage is on the back of Johns and has no game plan once Johns is not playing.

His true ability as a coach can be seen with his performance as QLD coach where he lost 2 series.

Roy

Juniors
Whats Doing said:
Hagan won the premiership on the back of Woks coaching. He has taken that team to the wooden spoon in 4 years. He does very little in the development of players and with the juniors. His winning percentage is on the back of Johns and has no game plan once Johns is not playing.

His true ability as a coach can be seen with his performance as QLD coach where he lost 2 series.

100% correct warren Ryan made that team no one else. Since then Hagan has done nothing to our team, Name one great junior we have produced since then..... Jarrod Mullen is the only player in the last 5 years we have seen that could go on to much much bigger things.

The team that Hagan was given in 2001 I could have coached to a gf win.

Brain smith is the best coach Newcastle could have for the job, that job is to prepare for life without johns (witch could be 2008 unfortunately) He has a proven record of taking clubs from the doldrums a turning them into premiership forces. We have two great halves coming though in Walsh an Mullen an I think smithy will do a great job on these to as he has done in the past.

Yes there is going to be tough decisions, yes there will probably be some I don’t agree with, but his record speaks for itself. I will support smith in what ever choices he makes as I no he is the best man for the job.