What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Smith Quits

El Diablo

Post Whore
Rod said:
No. Thats why Hagan's record without Joey is so terrible, he doesn't have backup plan for when Joey isn't there.

you make no sense

Johns should be basically coaching the team when he's injured or out. you say he ias your coach.

the fact two of your players eat up half your cap doesn't allow much room for backup

oh and Smith CAN'T coach a team to win an NRL GF. Of that there is no doubt.

Misty Bee

First Grade
LOL. Knghts, coming third, are eagerly awaiting a coach whose team is coming 13th, and who is the one coach in the NRL that the worlds best ever player dislikes.

Meanwhile, they expect Hagan to make the Eels plummet. What, under Smith, Parra haven't plummeted before?

Geez, I'd be so angered if Hagan 'plummeted' Parra to, where, 14th?

El, you can't beat the gibberers. Johns is the only thing at Newcastle that stpos them being a sh*t team that can't win. Yet Buderus, Simpson, Gidley etc are world beaters?

Can't wait to see the Johns/Wagon combination in action in '06

Eelementary

Post Whore
Rod said:
Johns and Hagan get along very well. What does that prove?

Nothing. Johns basically coaches the team anyway, we just need someone who isn't afraid to make some tough decisions, and can develop game plans for when we don't have Joey, something Hagan clearly can't do.

Time will tell I guess.

And yet Hagan cops flak for when the Knights lose or play poorly...

jamesgould

Juniors
Rod said:
Johns and Hagan get along very well. What does that prove?

Nothing. Johns basically coaches the team anyway, we just need someone who isn't afraid to make some tough decisions, and can develop game plans for when we don't have Joey, something Hagan clearly can't do.

Time will tell I guess.

True that. Lazarus and Anderson weren't talking in 1999, I think Melbourne will take the premiership though!

Doubt Smith would have been signed if him and Johns had major issues, anyway.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Are you kidding?

Johns' great front-on defence would make him a perfect prop for Newcastle!

Just kidding!

jamesgould

Juniors
Eelementary said:
And yet Hagan cops flak for when the Knights lose or play poorly...

That's coz we barely ever lose when Johns is there. When he's not and Hagan has to do some coaching ... :shock:

Good luck for next year though ... hopefully Hagan can show some coaching ability, coz I don't mind Parra.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think all the criticism of Hagan's abilities is very hard to gauge, particularly because, as you say, Johns practically coaches the team.

But, unlike Smith, I think Hagan is very good at revving teams up - the 2001 GF is the perfect example of this.

The underdogs out-enthused the red-hot favourites.

Misty Bee

First Grade
jamesgould said:
That's coz we barely ever lose when Johns is there. When he's not and Hagan has to do some coaching ... :shock:

Again, if Johns coaches them when he's playing - does he piss of and ignore them when he's injured????

Hagan has won premierships. Smith, well....you'll see!

Eddie.

Bench
Brian Smith has done alot more in the game then Hagan. He has developed young players and made teams very strong without one dominant player.

Is this the time when someone quotes me and says the 1-0 premiershhip count in Hagan's factor?

Please...

Misty Bee

First Grade
No. I'll just remind you WHO Hagan beat in '01.

Not to mention that the coach Hagan beat brought to the game that day was the best points scoring side of all time.

Naaah, all must have been Johns.

I guess with Smith and Johns, the Knights will go through undefeated and be unstoppable. I remember thinking the same back in about '99. Dragons fans probably did in '92.

BTW, Smith was coaching when Hagan was still playing. So, do you expect Smith would have done less?????

jamesgould

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
jamesgould said:

Again, if Johns coaches them when he's playing - does he piss of and ignore them when he's injured????

Hagan has won premierships. Smith, well....you'll see!

Well he's certainly not on the training field coaching them! He's usually up in the stands in a neck brace! :lol:

The Knights weren't far behind Parra in 01 as far as points scored go, and only lost about 3 games all year with Johns in the side (he was out for 6 weeks or so with a knee injury, and surprise surprise, Knights went on a 4 game losing streak and got beat 40-0 by Parra).

Here's what my main man Phil has to say about it - I'm with him! http://http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/stabbed-in-the-back-but-coach-will-live-to-fight-another-day/2006/05/15/1147545268215.html

Kurt Angle

First Grade
It isn't going to be about Smith and Johns getting on, Smith will be told not to rock the boat.

I reckon the reason why Smith is there is he has a proven record of developing young talent.

Newcaslte has a very storng nursery but hasn't been able to develop anybody to even be a first grade quality half in Johns' absence. Smith be be told to rebuild the team for after Joey, and when it is.... Smith --> gorn and someone else will take the team over... cuz Smith ain't a grand final winner.

Humphrey

Juniors
Is the Parra Chairman of the BOD resigning to? Should fall on his sword for the debacle he and the BOD caused in the first instance I reckon

super_coach

First Grade
Smith probably stayed at the one club too long.As a coach,the guy was brillant at bringing along raw talent and devolping them into first graders.I think at times he was a little too loyal to his players and very loathed to drop an out of form player. It would be interesting to know the true story behind Jammie Lyons.
Although heading to the Knights next year,he is a coach that the Rabits really need,a bloke who can re build a club from the bottom up.I rate him as a coach and a bloke

LESStar58

Referee
It just keeps getting better and better!

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19147413-5003340,00.html

Drained Smith quits Parramatta
Stuart Honeysett
May 16, 2006
BRIAN SMITH yesterday cited a lack of commitment behind his reasons to end a 10-year association with Parramatta amid revelations Tim Smith and Mark Riddell had turned up to training yesterday intoxicated.
The Eels' coach stunned the rugby league community yesterday by handing in his resignation, effective immediately.

The club has had a disastrous start to the season. One of the pre-season favourites after winning the minor premiership last year, Parramatta is languishing in 13th place on the competition ladder having won only two of nine games.

"I ask questions of players and staff every day about their level of commitment and whether they've got the energy and desire to do a tough job," Smith said.

"I ask myself that question every day and the answer was no this morning to myself so now's the right time for me to do what I've done."

The Australian understands halfback Smith and hooker Riddell turned up to training intoxicated yesterday after the club's loss to the Bulldogs at Telstra Stadium on Sunday.

The pair was sent home and could face further sanctions following a club investigation.

"Yes I have heard that," Eels' chief executive Denis Fitzgerald said last night.

"We are investigating that. I heard they were sent home from training."

When asked if it had anything to do with Smith's shock decision, Fitzgerald replied,"Not that I'm aware."

The disgraced pair's actions were hardly ideal preparation for a battling club which will be without Origin stars Nathan Hindmarsh, Timana Tahu and possibly Eric Grothe this week for the game against Penrith at Penrith Stadium on Friday night.

It is the latest controversy to hit the western Sydney club.

In mid-November Smith was told 2006 would be his last season.

Smith kept his silence while the club looked for a replacement, eventually settling on Newcastle's Michael Hagan. Ironically, Smith was eventually chosen as the Knights' new coach from 2007.

"The situation has been tough all season for even the circumstances about my own future and therefore the future of lots of players as well," Smith said.

"That's led to an environment I've not encountered before and, given the results on top of that, I just don't have the commitment level to do what needs to be done."

Smith, 52, who was the Eels' longest-serving coach, said he had informed the players of his decision first. He telephoned Hindmarsh who is in camp with NSW.

"I think there was a mix ... mainly they were stunned and that's probably a good thing because I don't think they sensed I was thinking about this," Smith said.

"It's a sad time and there'll be a few sad days ahead for me but they'll get on with it."

Smith, who took St George to successive grand finals in 1992 and '93 only to be trumped by Brisbane, had success in England before joining Parramatta in 1997.

Although he won the minor premiership twice in 2001 and 2005, the ultimate prize of a title eluded him - the closest the club came was the 2001 grand final which they lost to Newcastle.

"I wish we all could have won a comp together but I feel very pleased and proud of what we've achieved over that 10-year period," Smith said.

Assistant coach Jason Taylor, who is leaving the Eels next year to join Shaun McRae at South Sydney and was a contender for Smith's job until Newcastle's Michael Hagan was appointed, has been appointed caretaker coach for the rest of the season.

sydraider

First Grade
The pitfall of having one of the best players to ever lace on a boot is that your whole team is built around him ( as well as the salary cap), If that player is not on the park, of course that team is going to struggle. Im not sure if there is any coach around that could do much more with the knights when johns is on the sideline.

Fearless prediction: JT will sneak parra into the 8 where they will cause vast amounts of damage.