What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Smith Quits

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Nickeel said:
You're a petty fool.

Hope you are enjoying it.

Nick

Petty fool? Give me a break. You would be ALL OVER THIS if it was a 'Dogs issue.

Nickeel

Juniors
Timmah said:
Petty fool? Give me a break. You would be ALL OVER THIS if it was a 'Dogs issue.

I would? What do you base that on?

I'd certainly have something to say on the issue, but I wouldn't be sadistically gloating over it.

Nick

Timmah

Staff member
Sadistically gloating? This does nothing but drag our game through the mud. Hence why I'm not going to take Parra to task until something is confirmed. It's all allegations at the moment, something everyone should keep in mind. Either way, you took the bait and took offence in the same way I have in the past...

0neye

PARRA SCUM BAGS ;()
DOGS06.jpg

innsaneink

Referee
Timmah said:
Sadistically gloating? This does nothing but drag our game through the mud. Hence why I'm not going to take Parra to task until something is confirmed. It's all allegations at the moment, something everyone should keep in mind. Either way, you took the bait and took offence in the same way I have in the past...

Why dont you just f**k up, you moron.
Stop bringing your Bulldogs "he did - so I can" juvenile BS in here....youve already hijacked the other thear with it....you have the menatlity of a primary schooler at times....anything to get a "one up" :roll:

As for Smith.....this wouldve been a very very difficult decision for him, anyone in this game that makes it to the top either as a player, coach or admin to come outand publicly 'quit' must really bite.
You dont get to the top by having a quitters mental;ity....its competeitive win at all costs mainly, and I think for him to be frank and honest and swallow his pride and admit he isnt the man for the job no longer takes some guts.
As someone mentioned earlier he probably just hung around a year or two too long.

JJ

Immortal
I feel for Smith a bit - obviously a terrific coach with a terrific record - the only thing missing is a premiership. The Eels were laughable when he took over, and they've been contenders pretty much the whole time he's been there... He's been treated very harshly IMO

As for Hagan, can anyone tell me what his win-loss record is like coaching teams in which Andrew Johns is not the half-back...

sydraider

First Grade
innsaneink said:
As for Smith.....this wouldve been a very very difficult decision for him, anyone in this game that makes it to the top either as a player, coach or admin to come outand publicly 'quit' must really bite.
You dont get to the top by having a quitters mental;ity....its competeitive win at all costs mainly, and I think for him to be frank and honest and swallow his pride and admit he isnt the man for the job no longer takes some guts.
As someone mentioned earlier he probably just hung around a year or two too long.

Totally agree Ink, well said.

Timmah

Staff member
innsaneink said:
Why dont you just f**k up, you moron.
Stop bringing your Bulldogs "he did - so I can" juvenile BS in here....youve already hijacked the other thear with it....you have the menatlity of a primary schooler at times....anything to get a "one up" :roll:

And I'm consistent at being a hypocrite? All you ever do is try to get a "one-up" on me!

:roll:

As I said mate, not interested.

innsaneink

Referee
Timmah said:
And I'm consistent at being a hypocrite? All you ever do is try to get a "one-up" on me!

:roll:

As I said mate, not interested.

Good....why not try and lose interest with all your other friends too, and just keep to the topic at hand......theres enough bitch threads without making every one and us V them thread.

bulldog

Bench
innsaneink said:
Good....why not try and lose interest with all your other friends too, and just keep to the topic at hand......theres enough bitch threads without making every one and us V them thread.

From dodges perspective I'd imagine it seems like me vs. them, the same people seem to constantly take the time to rile and bait him regardless of what he posts, it's really getting old.

Timmah

Staff member
It surprises me that with how little respect El and ink have for me, that they take the time to respond and still get so incredibly riled up over every post, even if I agree or concede things.

jamesgould

Juniors
JJ said:
I feel for Smith a bit - obviously a terrific coach with a terrific record - the only thing missing is a premiership. The Eels were laughable when he took over, and they've been contenders pretty much the whole time he's been there... He's been treated very harshly IMO

As for Hagan, can anyone tell me what his win-loss record is like coaching teams in which Andrew Johns is not the half-back...

Won 2 lost 4 for Queensland.

Under 30% for Newcastle, including losing 20 out of the last 24.

JJ

Immortal
jamesgould said:
Won 2 lost 4 for Queensland.

Under 30% for Newcastle, including losing 20 out of the last 24.

and despite that, some want to argue that Hagan's a good coach... :?

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
JJ said:
and despite that, some want to argue that Hagan's a good coach... :?

He is a good coach. Newcastle have sh*t players (apart from Buderus, Johns and Simpson) and a pathetic set up. Plus nobody can tell me those players heads are right without Johns there, they seem to believe that without him they are stuffed. Knights fans just make scapegoats out of Hagan and Kurt Gidley, even when Gidley plays a blinder they still find a way to bag him. I'd be happy to have Kidley and Hagan at the club next year, it would be much better than John Morris and Brian Smith!

JJ

Immortal
ParraDude_Jay said:
He is a good coach. Newcastle have sh*t players (apart from Buderus, Johns and Simpson) and a pathetic set up. Plus nobody can tell me those players heads are right without Johns there, they seem to believe that without him they are stuffed. Knights fans just make scapegoats out of Hagan and Kurt Gidley, even when Gidley plays a blinder they still find a way to bag him. I'd be happy to have Kidley and Hagan at the club next year, it would be much better than John Morris and Brian Smith!

you have to say that, because you support the Eels.

The Qld players are ok, but he did nothing with them.

At Newcastle in addition to Johns he's had a range of very high quality players rep players and very well established first graders) - O'Davis, the Gidley brothers, Hughes, Abraham, Tahu, Kennedy, Simpson, Woolnough, Perry, Buderus, Smith, Reynoldson, Newton, the list goes on.... yet Hagan can't get them to beat an egg without Johns... surely Hagan has to take some responsibility - Newcastle have done well in teh swap IMO

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
JJ said:

At Newcastle in addition to Johns he's had a range of very high quality players rep players and very well established first graders) - O'Davis, the Gidley brothers, Hughes, Abraham, Tahu, Kennedy, Simpson, Woolnough, Perry, Buderus, Smith, Reynoldson, Newton, the list goes on.... yet Hagan can't get them to beat an egg without Johns... surely Hagan has to take some responsibility - Newcastle have done well in teh swap IMO

Most of those players were on the sidelines with Johns when he had to coach without him.

Newcastle haven't done well in the swap IMO, The stats that you read on Hagan, well there are stats for Smithy too. They read 20+ years of coaching, no trophies in the cabinet. I'm pretty sure there are 4 grand final losses in that too, not to mention the finals dropouts when his teams should have won.

Hagan has won a premiership... nuff said.

The Colonel

Immortal
JJ said:

Long term contracts and a reliance on junior talent without being able to attract any top end talent has also been a factor at the Knights. Many of the players you mention have also been on an injury list as long as your arm for the best part of three seasons. I'm not sure Hagan is the right answer at Parramatta but change was needed at the club after ten years of Smith.

Maybe the way it was originally handled could have been better but it hasn't done any harm at the Knights nor to a lesser extent Canberra or Penrith to know their futures twelve months out.

JJ

Immortal
ParraDude_Jay said:
Hagan has won a premiership... nuff said.

On the back of one of the greatest players ever

IMO it's foolish to suggest that Hagan's record as a coach is anywhere near as good as Smith's on the back of one game.

Despite not winning a comp, Smith's teams have been exceptional in Aust - he's won numerous minor premierships and lost grand finals to great Brisbane teams and the Newcastle one... pluse he's done well in the UK. Hagan's won wooden spoons, lost origin series... meh, you'll never agree I guess

JJ

Immortal
The Colonel said:
Long term contracts and a reliance on junior talent without being able to attract any top end talent has also been a factor at the Knights. Many of the players you mention have also been on an injury list as long as your arm for the best part of three seasons. I'm not sure Hagan is the right answer at Parramatta but change was needed at the club after ten years of Smith.

Maybe the way it was originally handled could have been better but it hasn't done any harm at the Knights nor to a lesser extent Canberra or Penrith to know their futures twelve months out.

No doubt a change was needed from Smith - but he does have a terrific record despite the GF losses. I think he'll turn Newcastle into a much better team. His big problem is that the systems he sets up are good and he tends to keep his job too long...

the situation at Newcastle hasn't changed - they win with Johns, lose without him - Hagan should have been able to do better IMO