What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brian Smith's sledging of Buderus

gong_eagle

First Grade
Brian Smith's humiliation of his captain

Article from:
August 10, 2007

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22219383-5001023,00.html

THE full transcript of Newcastle coach Brian Smith's press conference yesterday.

Q: Any comments that you'd like to make regarding what has been said regarding discontent among the players?
A: If you want to go somewhere and find a bad news story, go to a place of employment where there are a whole heap of people who have been long-term employees and care about where they work and have just been told their services are no longer required. That ain't too hard.
And if you really want to find someone who is sad, find the captain of a footy club who's only played 11 games this season for his club through suspension and injury and rep duties and who's seen his club not do as well as he would have liked under his captaincy.
I feel very sorry for and I'm upset about . . . that there's a number of guys in this footy club who I've only known for a short time who I really like who are not going to be here next year. So I can't imagine how hard that is for blokes who are friends of those people and who have done all the stuff that footy players do together and they're losing their teammates. It's sad but . . . they all know change needs to be made. That's why I was brought here. The board gave me a clear statement of what they wanted done and while it's not a happy job . . . if you want to be happy, then you're hiring. If you want to be sad then you're firing. It's tough.

Q:
Is it disappointing that it's been played out so publicly?
A: I think Danny could have done it in a different way but like I said, if you want to find someone who's not at the top of their game and is going to make an error of judgement, then you go to someone who is suffering from severe disappointment. Danny's a real proud man. He wanted to have an enormous effect and he has. He's just not seeing and feeling that as the new captain of the Knights after Joey left. He wanted to be an effective and winning captain of the Origin series and it didn't turn out that way. His position as No. 9 in the Australian jersey is probably under threat. For a proud guy who's done so much service for Australian footy, and particularly the Knights, when it's not going well you're likely to find a bloke who is going to say the wrong thing. I wish he hadn't said it. I'm sure he does too but them's the breaks.

Q:
What can you do about team morale or what are you hoping to do before the weekend?
A: Team morale's not so bad, really. It depends if you're talking Monday or Tuesday after a loss. Everybody's feeling it. But if you'd been here and seen our training session the other night - and Simmo summed it up in the end by saying 'that's one of our best sessions for the year' - you wouldn't worry so much.
Bedsy wasn't here to see that. Bedsy's missed a lot of sessions this year because he's not been part of the team. Only playing 11 games has made it difficult for him to feel like he's part of that crew at times.

Q:
You're playing on Friday night. How do you get the boys to focus on the game rather than what's going on in the media?
A: You guys focus on that more than we do. We're used to the fish and chip wrapper thing. We understand that you've got a job to do and most of what you have to do is about talking to get people's attention. If you want to go and see all the cars that go past on the road over there, not one of them makes news. But if two of them bang together, you guys will have a camera there and someone will make a story out of it. That's the nature of what you do compared to what we do.

Q:
It must be heartening to know you have the support of the administration, Steve Crowe and the CEO.
A: Absolutely but that's never been in doubt. Those people, I work with them as well as for them.
I'm the one at the coalface who makes the decisions but the big decisions about the change that needed to take place were not made by me.
The people who are part of that change are recommendations made by me but the fact that things needed to change - everyone knew Andrew wasn't going to be here, whether it was this year or next year - was as obvious as anything could possibly be.
I'm feeling pretty good about the fact we've brought a whole truckload of young blokes through this year.
Some have played way too many games because of the injury toll that we've had but ...

Q:
Is it disappointing that blokes who have seemed willing to criticise you in the paper don't seem willing to put their name to the criticism?
A: I never take any notice of any journalist who offers something up that's got no name attached to it.
As far as I'm concerned, that's him saying that and I think most people in the community have got no respect for journalists who do that stuff.

Q:
Do you doubt whether those comments were actually made by players?
A: I don't care. They're irrelevant really. The issues for me are dealing with the guys day-to-day and sometimes when they get bad news, they're not going to feel happy. They're just like you and me.

Q:
Do you get the feeling that, the papers are saying that a lot of the players are saying they don't want to be at training anymore, they don't want to be here anymore, do you feel that?
A: I feel like that on Mondays and Tuesdays often when we're losing. That's a natural feeling for everybody. Put on top of that that some of them know they're not going to be here next year and it's a very empty, lonely feeling.
It's not easy to deal with.
These guys are pretty good at dealing with it.

Ice777

Bench
I read that this morning and when i did the first thing i thought was can this bloke get any more insulting and patronising? *cue Newcastle supporters defending the ego maniacal tossbag*

It's all well and good to say that it'll be more than worth it in the long term which it may be, but i think that's more hope talking than anything else. It could also quite very easily cause irreparable damage to the club. All i can say is that i'm so glad that this bloke isn't in control of my club.

ShineDog

Juniors
Not a fan of Brian ...BUT....must admit I love his style.
Brian is the coach and it is about time that players like Danny realise that, the coach and board also only want wants best for the club.....all involved want to win.

Danny grow up!!

Knights , Sharks , Panthers will be fighting for the spoon..

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I saw the interview this morning on Foxsports, gotta give Smith credit here, he stuck up for Buderus and said he was under pressure.

Thats headline is, as usual, very misleading.

aqua_duck

Coach
hardly humiliating, he tried to give reasons why danny made those comments earlier in the week, as usual more telegraph smith bashing

V1er

Juniors
so it seems its ok for danny to come out and say things but when smith comes out and says something he's portrayed as the bad guy. Typical telegraph really.

mick13

Juniors
Smith's a bloody disgrace publicly bagging his captain, and to say he won't make the Aussie team instead of backing his captain says it all.

Titanic

First Grade
mick13 said:
Smith's a bloody disgrace publicly bagging his captain, and to say he won't make the Aussie team instead of backing his captain says it all.
He wouldn't make it on form. Of course the coach is shat-off, he may be a complete worm strangler but it's his job as well. I'm with Shinedog on this - players play, coaches coach, fans complain unless they're winning and internal problems aren't aired publicly- that's our sport. Buderus take your ball and go home.

big pat

Coach
last time i looked australia was still a democratic country, so buderus is allowed to express his opinion same as smith is allowed his,they just should have done it behind closed doors with their ceo,but whatever sells newspapers and it has got people expressing their point of view, agree or disagree,just hope the knights put up a good showing tonight.

Maybe smith (brian) has realised that what smith (cameron) said about Buderus is true :
`he is nothing without Johns and will only go on a quick play the ball. He creates nothing himself'

sharko

Juniors
The Knights have been underperforming on the field for a number of years and their administration off it has been appalling..I think Smith has made the hard choices now and the team for 2008 will be better for it.
Andrew Johns ran the club as his own, when he broke down and retired, he had a lot more time on his hands and was interfering with what has always been the coaches domain. Harragon is another who likes to stick his beak in but not take any of the responsibility or flak that comes with it.
Newcastle for 2008 will be a lot stronger and a real potent force..with Buderus, Simpson,Walsh, Mullen, Gidley leading their usual talented juniors..there was some deadwood at that club which is now gone or will be by 2008.

badav

Bench
The players who came out and whinged to the media, especially the ones who were "unnamed", what were they trying to achieve?? How is going to the media ever going to make the situation better.

perverse

Referee
ROFL what a beat up by the telegraph... i was quite happy with the smith interview when i listened to it. actually to be honest i love what smith has to say to the press in general.

danny & anonymous company - grow up, you're professional footballers (allegedly).

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Yes boys, you do need to think for yourself now that Joey isn't there to spoon feed you