What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bring on Game 3

user_nat

Coach
Hunt never got his due.

Incredibly safe at the back and was brilliant at kick returns. His combination with Lockyer even proved fruitful at that level.

Obviously Slater has taken over from Hunt but people seem to forget Hunt had to cover for him after Origin 2 & 3 in 2008 for good reason.

But yeah, Hunt was like the spoilt rich kid in the Queensland family.

Yup. Hunt made 5 errors in 10 appearance for Queensland. 4 of which were 1 game at 5/8.
Slater has him matched this year.

Not to say Slater doesn't have his own strong points. Like 11 tries to Hunts zero.

Last edited:

cornerposter

Juniors
Slater is a concern, he's getting belted by NSW and actually letting it get to him. He came good in the second half but he's uncharacteristically shaky.

Stewart's had Slater covered 2 games in a row now.
yeah right, the only team who fear what Brett Stewart can do would be a U16 netball team.

I miss Hunt
Off ya go then :crazy:

On the flipside, in the first half when Stewart was ruled to ground the ball prior to the Dave Taylor comedy effort, Thurston was a mile in front of Cronk, and was part of the line that tried to trap Stewart (and he made the tackle on Hayne after the play was dead). The video ref checked for offside, but missed it completely (as did the commentators).
He was put onside by the kicker Mr Checcin

super_coach

First Grade
QLD are a champion team played well below their best and credit has to go to NSW because usually you play as well as your allowed to. Anyway they were below their best, had a man in the bin and had a few injuries and were still in the contest at the death. Also it was a wet heavy track.

Nsw fifth tackle options for most of the night were poor and could learn a lot by looking at what Cronk and Thurston do. NSW really should be two up now and having one hell of a night, but now they have to go and face a fired up QLD team in a few weeks and I really think they will struggle

Karl

Juniors
Queensland have not played to their potential for very long or consistently in either game so far. If they don't pull their finger out they'll lose this series.

timka4

Bench
NSW still have so much more potential when attacking the line, if they can nail there short kicking game we could pile on alot more pressure / points

Canard

Immortal
Was one of the best Origin matches Ive seen in a while. Can't wait til Game 3.

A deciding Game 3 is the sort of thing that is an excellent advertisement for our game, and will rate through the roof.

I think NSW were the better team, but QLD still had a chance to snatch it at the end (undeservedly so).

Mader45

Juniors
Parker was injured
Tate was injured
Slater was injured
Hodges, as usual, hurt himself early in the game
Thurston had one of his worst rep games ever
Cronk was, deservedly, sin binned for 10 mins

NSW, at home, with no injuries and absolutely everything to play for.... Won by 4 points.

I highly doubt Game 3 will be as helpful to the NSW cause.

betcats

Referee
Good game last night, In terms of quality it was a bit down but the intensity was awesome.

I thought Queensland were pretty gutsy, they seemed to have a player down injured all game.

NSW won the physical battle, our defence was awesome, we were smashing them around the field. The crowd helped us lift in that final ten, those two defensive sets that we held them under 20m gained were awesome.

Game 3 will be tough, Queensland will play like madmen up there. Our halves really need to sort out their last tackle options, our kicking game was terrible and the bombs aren't working, QLD do a super job protecting their catchers.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Taylor and Gillett both had really ordinary games last night. I expected a lot more of them.

Taylor dropping the ball cold with QLD in attacking position near the end was a coach killer. Gillett just seemed too timid. He needed to back himself and come out of the line in defence more like he does for the Broncos. There were times where the Blues were just screaming for someong to race out and tackle them, but we held back and kept the line.

A nice dry track at Suncorp, and another crack at it should see QLD retain the shield at home.

EDIT - I also thought Mal's use of interchange was poor last night. Civ and Hannant spent far too much time on the bench when we needed them most. Hannant in particular who only got 24 minutes of game time, and is in good form right now.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
My concerns going into game 3 for NSW are:

1. Uate under the high ball. This has always been his weakness and seems to be magnified of late. He really really really needs to learn to leave the ground and contest the ball

2. Our forwards went full sets just running angles, even coming off our own line. Once they straightened up they looked dangerous. Needs to happen for the full 80min and not just when Tamou and Grant are on the field.

3. Our halves still look lost when they are within Qlds 20m zone. Aside from the nice grubber Pearce put in for Carney ,which he would have scored off if it weren't for Cronk, they failed to look very dangerous nor did they build any pressure.

Im happy with last nights win but the fellas will need to polish up their game to take game 3 away from the Qlders up in Brisbane. They have won nothing yet

Joker's Wild

Coach
Parker was injured
Tate was injured
Slater was injured
Hodges, as usual, hurt himself early in the game
Thurston had one of his worst rep games ever
Cronk was, deservedly, sin binned for 10 mins

NSW, at home, with no injuries and absolutely everything to play for.... Won by 4 points.

I highly doubt Game 3 will be as helpful to the NSW cause.

Losers look for excuses mate

You left out Gallen being injured
Uate having the worst game under the high ball a winger has ever produced
Our forwards running angles gifting dominant tackles

Its Origin mate. Qld were gifted very similar circumstances in game 1 and won by 8 off the back of the most controversial refereeing decisions in SOO history.

betcats

Referee
I wanna give Grant a wrap as well, his work in the first half was invaluable, made more first half metres then any other nsw forward, plus that first hit up! Didnt get many minutes in the second half but thats sweet, he'll be there for a long time now me thinks.

Evenflow

Bench
QLD need much more out of Thurston. He was just ok in game 1 and was average last night. He's only one man but if he can improve to even half of what he's capable of beating QLD in game 3 will be a much harder proposition.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Taylor and Gillett both had really ordinary games last night. I expected a lot more of them.

Taylor dropping the ball cold with QLD in attacking position near the end was a coach killer. Gillett just seemed too timid. He needed to back himself and come out of the line in defence more like he does for the Broncos. There were times where the Blues were just screaming for someong to race out and tackle them, but we held back and kept the line.

A nice dry track at Suncorp, and another crack at it should see QLD retain the shield at home.

EDIT - I also thought Mal's use of interchange was poor last night. Civ and Hannant spent far too much time on the bench when we needed them most. Hannant in particular who only got 24 minutes of game time, and is in good form right now.

So a nice dry track won't help NSW either? Hmmm...

Joker's Wild

Coach
Yeah with Slater likely out I can see either Boyd or Inglis going to fullback, Tate into the centres and Barba coming in on the wing.

Hutty1986

Immortal
It probably will help them, but I expect QLD will lift and actually play some attacking footy in Game 3.

I thought it was going to be a loooong night when Cronk sliced us open so early last night but him & JT just looked really out of sorts.. no idea why.

To be fair, NSW have hardly set the world on fire with their attack so far, pretty much zero backline movements and plenty more potential there. Both sides need to be a lot sharper.