What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bring on Game 3

Valheru

Coach
NSW still have so much more potential when attacking the line, if they can nail there short kicking game we could pile on alot more pressure / points

This and I don’t blame either of the halves for that last night. We had maybe 5 or 6 sets where we were legitimately attacking their line. In 3 of them the ball was dropped and in 2 there were too many dummy half runs and Farah put in a grubber over the dead ball line. The one grubber that was put in by Pearce was very good and turned out to be a turning point.

Fordy20

Juniors
Yeah, I don't understand why Pearce didn't try the grubber more often, instead of always going for the bomb, especially given how successful it was.

Parker was injured
Tate was injured
Slater was injured
Hodges, as usual, hurt himself early in the game
Thurston had one of his worst rep games ever
Cronk was, deservedly, sin binned for 10 mins

NSW, at home, with no injuries and absolutely everything to play for.... Won by 4 points.

I highly doubt Game 3 will be as helpful to the NSW cause.

finally, someone has brought this up.

Consensus amongst most is that QLD have been outplayed by NSW in both games. They won one, and lost the other by 4pts.

Thing is, is there improvement in QLD? It's easy to simply say that QLD have been grinding the gears so far, but perhaps not enough credit is being given to NSW in preventing them from rolling on?

In Game 1, it was NSW winning the territory battle that prevented QLD from playing getting into gear. In Game 2, QLD won the territory but it was the NSW defense's ability to absorb the pressure that made a difference. Many times in the past few series, NSW teams haven't been able to compete in these areas.

For a change, the NSW combinations are being maintained and they are getting used to playing alongside each other. It can only get better for NSW. The glaring weakness for NSW IMO is the predictable diagonal running on 3rd & 4th tackles, and the lack of organisation on 5th and 6th tackles as well as the next play after a line break. In Game 1, line breaks were covered by QLD and NSW did not have a subsequent play to capitlise. In Game 2, two line breaks resulted directly in tries which diminished the need for organisation on the next play. It doesn't mean that this isn't an important area that has to be improved for Game 3 though. If it's a tight affair up at Lang Park, it's will be this facet of the game that will be the difference.

Shorty

Staff member
Of course Queensland have improvement in them, they haven't played well all series and yet they won one game and lost by 4 previous.
I don't want to rain on parades because the Blues' win last night was inspirational however it wasn't a convincing flogging, be realistic.